Stereo Listening - Move to Emotiva XSP-1 or Stay with Marantz AV8801

drumace

drumace

Audioholic Intern
Hello friends,
I have the Marantz AV8801 hooked to Anthem MC-5 and I use them both for stereo listening and for video.
I'm wondering if adding the XSP-1 to the setup using its HT pass through will result in enhanced stereo sound.

Thanks!

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General
XSP-1 is a pre-amp, correct?

So if it were to enhance stereo sound, it would mean the Marantz was introducing distortion which it should not do.

A pre-amp does not color sound, at least it should not.

That is what makes a good pre-amp, it adds no sound, just passing the signal.

So, unless the Marantz is a problem, the answer is, do not buy the Emotiva expecting any enhancement.

drumace

drumace

Audioholic Intern
eljr

eljr

Audioholic General
if both units are working properly there should be no audible distinction between them.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Please explain
The differences in specs are insignificant and inaudible.

What are the differences in actual measured specs (actual measured numbers)?

THD, SNR, FR, Crosstalk?

Last edited:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Hello friends,
I have the Marantz AV8801 hooked to Anthem MC-5 and I use them both for stereo listening and for video.
I'm wondering if adding the XSP-1 to the setup using its HT pass through will result in enhanced stereo sound.

Thanks!
Marantz preout sections are usually very good. I'd pass on that option to add an XSP-1 and instead focus more on speaker placement, seating positioning, calibration, and room acoustics (if needed).

drumace

drumace

Audioholic Intern
Marantz preout sections are usually very good. I'd pass on that option to add an XSP-1 and instead focus more on speaker placement, seating positioning, calibration, and room acoustics (if needed).
Thanks Gene! Appreciate your answer.
Maybe I should also focus on switching to Class A mono blocks for the fronts (i.e. XPA-1/1L) or start saving for higher end speakers (currently using Paradigm Monitor 11 v.7 as fronts)?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Maybe I should also focus on switching to Class A mono blocks for the fronts (i.e. XPA-1/1L) or start saving for higher end speakers (currently using Paradigm Monitor 11 v.7 as fronts)?
Sorry to say this, those speakers are good but with your AV8801 and MCA5, all you need now are better speakers. Class A monoblock will no doubt make you feel good, but with eyes closed, all you will get are much more weight and heat.:D

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Maybe I should also focus on switching to Class A mono blocks for the fronts (i.e. XPA-1)...
Waste of money right there IMO. :D

So you're not very happy with your current sound quality?

The midrange, treble, or bass is not as great as you'd hope for?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The Marantz should be fully capable of driving speakers in stereo to deafening levels. A new amp will not get you better sound quality. New speakers would. Take the money you're willing to spend for no audible upgrade and put it into better speakers where you would actually get an audible upgrade.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Another vote for better speakers rather than changing electronics....

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
@drumace
I agree with the others, better speakers would be the only logical upgrade......except.....do you already have a Subwoofer?

If not, then the Sub is the next item to add! And.....if you have a Paradigm sub, then perhaps a bigger sub from an ID company is just the ticket!

drumace

drumace

Audioholic Intern
@drumace
I agree with the others, better speakers would be the only logical upgrade......except.....do you already have a Subwoofer?

If not, then the Sub is the next item to add! And.....if you have a Paradigm sub, then perhaps a bigger sub from an ID company is just the ticket!
I have 2 Paradigm UltraCube 10 subs.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Hello friends,

Thanks!
Totally unnecessary...even if they're not the same, the DACs in the 8801 stereo section should be comparable to those in the Emo XSP-1.

Secondly...it depends on the connection but in many cases, the DAC in the source is what impacts the sound....the AV8801 or XSP-1 should be passing the signal to the speakers.

I've seen people add a stereo preamp with HT Bypass to a pre pro...the theory is the 2 ch mode will be pure because the other channels are not functioning, thus not adding distortion, etc. I wouldn't bother...the ROI is not worth a qtr of the cost of the XSP-1.

There is a "pure" mode on the Marantz where it shuts down all video functions when in this audio mode...I cannot not tell any difference in the sound.

I'm with the others...scrap the electronics idea and upgrade the speakers if you want better stereo performance.

Joe B

Joe B

Audioholic Chief
Hello friends,

Thanks!
I am also with the others. Forget about an electronic upgrade......you're running great stuff already. I'd put the money into better front speakers. The Monitor 11's are nice, but they're the top of the entry level Paradigm speakers. Your electronics cry out for better speakers.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
There you go...start saving.

You have an excellent pre pro/ solid amp pushing good entry level grade towers. My suggestion is to target the $2k-$3k range in savings. That will get you another level of sound quality from the same electronics you have.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
like everyone else, upgrade speakers then if you feel your electronics are not up to task (probably not going to be an issue though) you can go down that road. As Gene stated optimize your listening environment first.

drumace

drumace

Audioholic Intern
Thanks everyone for your comments, really helped.
I must stress that I had an AV7005 in the past and after upgrading to the AV8801 I noticed a SQ improvement (even w/o calibration). I also experienced SQ improvement after upgrading the photo stage of the AV to Emotiva's XPS-1, so preamp upgrade did some change for me in the past. From your comments I understand that the preamp is not a bottleneck anymore so I'll leave it like that.
Regarding the power amp (MCA-5), since it is around 15 years old, I suspect that it is not in it's best share so I'm wondering whether cap replacement would improve something or replacing it all together with an Emotiva XPA-5 or similar amp with less years on it. What do you think?
Regarding speakers, I'm thinking about GoldenEar Tritons (not sure if passive or active yet).

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis