Options for 4k with 1.3 receiver

G

Grahama

Audiophyte
I'm just looking at doing the same thing - i.e. I have Integra DTR 7.8, I want to add a 4K TV. The TV I'm looking at has Audio Return Channel on an HDMI port, so it seems to me I can run HDMI audio out on this, and run it into an HDMI In port on the Integra, then I should get all audio formats through to the Integra. Any comments as to whether this will or won't work ?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I'm just looking at doing the same thing - i.e. I have Integra DTR 7.8, I want to add a 4K TV. The TV I'm looking at has Audio Return Channel on an HDMI port, so it seems to me I can run HDMI audio out on this, and run it into an HDMI In port on the Integra, then I should get all audio formats through to the Integra. Any comments as to whether this will or won't work ?
It will work, but only to a point. The HDM audio return has the same bandwidth as Toslink or coax SPDIF. That bandwidth is not enough for the loss less codecs.

This is the problem with 4K. It produces a no meaningful picture improvement, but unless you are basically prepared to replace a good deal of your equipment and likely cables, you are headed for a very definite audio downgrade.

While I like having a picture with my audio, audio performance is paramount. I'm very happy with my rig, and have no intention of re engineering it for a 4K TV that will give a poorer picture than the Panny Plasmas I have now.

I have a strong suspicion that this whole thing was a marketing ruse of marginal if any benefit to the consumer to generate unnecessary equipment sales.

If you do buy a 4k screen and can bet you will end up with more negatives than positives.

I'm smart enough to steer well clear of this industry ruse.

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
It will work, but only to a point. The HDM audio return has the same bandwidth as Toslink or coax SPDIF. That bandwidth is not enough for the loss less codecs.

This is the problem with 4K. It produces a no meaningful picture improvement, but unless you are basically prepared to replace a good deal of your equipment and likely cables, you are headed for a very definite audio downgrade.

While I like having a picture with my audio, audio performance is paramount. I'm very happy with my rig, and have no intention of re engineering it for a 4K TV that will give a poorer picture than the Panny Plasmas I have now.

I have a strong suspicion that this whole thing was a marketing ruse of marginal if any benefit to the consumer to generate unnecessary equipment sales.

If you do buy a 4k screen and can bet you will end up with more negatives than positives.

I'm smart enough to steer well clear of this industry ruse.
I see a lot of dislike for 4k from many, the 4k alone does not seem worth it to me however, HDR in my opinion has it's advantages (that is, if given 4k has the capability)

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I see a lot of dislike for 4k from many, the 4k alone does not seem worth it to me however, HDR in my opinion has it's advantages (that is, if given 4k has the capability)
On the TV side, 4K offers the latest panels and hardware so there are performance advantages in that, but the problem remains that 4K is such a high resolution that you need to get in to projection to really enjoy the extra pixels.

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
On the TV side, 4K offers the latest panels and hardware so there are performance advantages in that, but the problem remains that 4K is such a high resolution that you need to get in to projection to really enjoy the extra pixels.
With the hdr side, do you see that as something long term? Still a lot of limitations with LCD displays. Oled seems good and the quantum to me seems phenomenal but still expensive.

I see nothing more than bigger numbers when it comes to pixels, I remember 720p vs 1080p, couldn't really take advantage of 1080p unless on a 50" plus tv. I definitely agree with the projector for 4k if you need a larger screen.

A lot of confusion between all the technology these days, mass market is only set on 'bigger is better' but not the technology that makes them better, led is still an LCD display and most people I run into do not even know that. Array vs edge lit is not even knowledge among most (even those selling the tvs)

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
With the hdr side, do you see that as something long term? Still a lot of limitations with LCD displays. Oled seems good and the quantum to me seems phenomenal but still expensive.

I see nothing more than bigger numbers when it comes to pixels, I remember 720p vs 1080p, couldn't really take advantage of 1080p unless on a 50" plus tv. I definitely agree with the projector for 4k if you need a larger screen.

A lot of confusion between all the technology these days, mass market is only set on 'bigger is better' but not the technology that makes them better, led is still an LCD display and most people I run into do not even know that. Array vs edge lit is not even knowledge among most (even those selling the tvs)
OLED, Quantum, LED are all just innovations/evolutions of an LCD panel. OLED/quantum seem to be offering the truest blacks, but it's all technology which is ever changing. And then a lot of it is marketing jargon, just like in audio. There is no escape from some basic computational math to understand what will work best in what room under what circumstance.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis