MAXIMIZING THE USEFULNESS OF A HOME THEATER WITH 2 CENTER CHANNEL SPEAKERS

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Muzykant

Audioholic
OP, the thing you are proposing offers one minor benefit and a lot of drawbacks.

Pros:

* Those sitting to the side of the screen hear all the sounds emanating from the center. This solves the balance issue in stereo and surround modes (to a lesser extent).

Cons:

* Having to purchase extra equipment

* Added complexity of setting it all up

* Throwing the soundstage and surround sound effects out of the window

* Highly distorted frequency response

The solution to your problem is to use the traditional setup and just sit as close to center as possible. Aside from enjoying the sound the way it was intended, you will also view an undistorted image on your screen.

If you want a quieter, more intimate sound, (and since you are already willing to sacrifice sound quality and imaging), why not switch your TV set's built-in speakers back on for those occasions? Just select the sound output mode in your TV's menu.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
A properly configured and calibrated system should give you more than sufficient intimacy. The desire to do something like this leads me to believe the main system has a deficiency of some sort. Rather than configure something like this, I'd prefer to setup the main system in a way that it delivers the desired sound in the way the system will be used the majority of the time. If that is "intimate" then gear the system toward that.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
A properly configured and calibrated system should give you more than sufficient intimacy. The desire to do something like this leads me to believe the main system has a deficiency of some sort. Rather than configure something like this, I'd prefer to setup the main system in a way that it delivers the desired sound in the way the system will be used the majority of the time. If that is "intimate" then gear the system toward that.
As far as that goes, wouldn't just turning the volume down do the same thing and make it more "intimate"?

D

DCS0760

Junior Audioholic
OP, the thing you are proposing offers one minor benefit and a lot of drawbacks.

Pros:

* Those sitting to the side of the screen hear all the sounds emanating from the center. This solves the balance issue in stereo and surround modes (to a lesser extent).

Cons:

* Having to purchase extra equipment

* Added complexity of setting it all up

* Throwing the soundstage and surround sound effects out of the window

* Highly distorted frequency response

The solution to your problem is to use the traditional setup and just sit as close to center as possible. Aside from enjoying the sound the way it was intended, you will also view an undistorted image on your screen.

If you want a quieter, more intimate sound, (and since you are already willing to sacrifice sound quality and imaging), why not switch your TV set's built-in speakers back on for those occasions? Just select the sound output mode in your TV's menu.

Muzy,

The design offers the user more than the one benefit you pointed out. If you have the patience and can filter out the "goons", scroll through the thread.

Yes, there is an added cost and complexity. It will cost you aprox an extra $50 to $100. I eliminate as much of the technical complexity as possible by describing the setup step by step.

Don't agree with the soundstage and distorted frequency cons. Scroll the thread and you'll see numerous posts addressing these issues.

If someone decides to set up their system this way, all they need to do is read through the thread and they'll find answers to 99% of their concerns.

Note, if a reader does attempt this setup, I recommend they purchase an automatic speaker switch that has delay longer than 30 seconds. Try to purchase one with a delay of at least 2 to 3 minutes.

Last edited:
Audiosaur

Audiosaur

Audioholic
Muzy,

The design offers the user more than the one benefit you pointed out. If you have the patience and can filter out the "goons", scroll through the thread.

Yes, there is an added cost and complexity. It will cost you aprox an extra $50 to $100. I eliminate as much of the technical complexity as possible by describing the setup step by step.

Don't agree with the soundstage and distorted frequency cons. Scroll the thread and you'll see numerous posts addressing these issues.

If someone decides to set up their system this way, all they need to do is read through the thread and they'll find answers to 99% of their concerns.

Note, if a reader does attempt this setup, I recommend they purchase an automatic speaker switch that has delay longer than 30 seconds. Try to purchase one with a delay of at least 2 to 3 minutes.
Please help me become as convoluted as you are. Will you fabricate an answer to my mastication question?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Muzy,

Yes, scroll through this thread and you'll see a ton of unanswered questions and many, many referrals to an unclear and undefined op describing... nothing.

Goon squad, FTW!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yes, scroll through this thread and you'll see a ton of unanswered questions and many, many referrals to an unclear and undefined op describing... nothing.

Goon squad, FTW!
BOOOOOOOOM!!!

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
After Stormy post the links and reading them also, the only thought the comes to mind is Troll. I want a wall of sound Mr Specter!

M

Muzykant

Audioholic
Muzy,

OP,

I read the entire thread but and still can't see any other benefits afforded by this setup. What am I missing?

The added cost figure seems low to me. Don't we need to purchase an extra (matching) speaker for this? In my case that purchase alone would amount to $450.

When you place 2 speakers so close to each other you will run into lobing problems, as was pointed out numerous times in this thread. This will mess with the linearity of frequency response, and heavy equalization may be needed. Why the trouble?

Also, by placing speakers so close together aren't you shrinking the soundstage?

P.S. Are you somehow personally invested in this idea?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The added cost figure seems low to me. Don't we need to purchase an extra (matching) speaker for this? In my case that purchase alone would amount to $450.
$500 for me. That's why I would appreciate a little more detailed explanation. If OP expects me to run out and spend $600 for this I want assurances!

However, as you can see from reading the whole thread he either just doesn't want to explain or he doesn't know what he doesn't know and is misguided at best.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
In my case that purchase alone would amount to $450.
$500 for me.
This, is exactly why the "goon squad" gets a little excited when misinformation is posted. You and I know better, but a lot of folks who are new to this hobby come to this forum for guidance and a few might actually bite on this.

Audioholics is all about objectivity and measurable differences. OP has failed to provide anything to bolster his claim. Instead he brushes questions off as if he doesn't read or understand them. OP, you've made this post on other forums. How was the reception there? Did anyone agree or tell you this is a good idea? Anyone...?

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
This, is exactly why the "goon squad" gets a little excited when misinformation is posted. You and I know better, but a lot of folks who are new to this hobby come to this forum for guidance and a few might actually bite on this.

Audioholics is all about objectivity and measurable differences. OP has failed to provide anything to bolster his claim. Instead he brushes questions off as if he don't read or understand them. OP, you've made this post on other forums. How was the reception there? Did anyone agree or tell you this is a good idea? Anyone...?
Is that right? Got any links?

D

DCS0760

Junior Audioholic
OP,

I read the entire thread but and still can't see any other benefits afforded by this setup. What am I missing?

When you place 2 speakers so close to each other you will run into lobing problems, as was pointed out numerous times in this thread. This will mess with the linearity of frequency response, and heavy equalization may be needed. Why the trouble?

Also, by placing speakers so close together aren't you shrinking the soundstage?

P.S. Are you somehow personally invested in this idea?

Muzy,

It's unfortunate you can't see the other benefits. I've tried to describe them throughout the thread. Perhaps some people need to actually test the design in order to realize all the benefits.

The figures I provided are for the source selector and speaker switch. The cost for the extra (matching) speaker can vary. You can pick up two bookshelf speakers for the price of a single center.

It isn't as difficult as you think. Yes, lobing has been brought up numerous times and has been addressed numerous times. As I've mentioned, 99% of a readers concerns are addressed throughout the thread.

No, not invested.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
Muzy,

No, not invested.
Key take from all that writing, you are the MOST invested person in an idea I have ever come across on a forum. Since I date back to pre-WWW during the slow dark BBS days that says a lot.

Lobing was dropped by you as a problem, that doesn't remove the problem. As for 99% addressed, pointing to the OP as a response doesn't resolve a thing. Again, clearly you are invested in an idea that is looking for a problem for your unneeded solution.

Several people asked for detailed responses, you ignored them now claiming the concerns have been addressed by 99% and yet the same questions get posed only to get squat in return.

There are no goons here, what we have here are people who know something of which they talk about and your solution is full of holes and again, there has to be a problem this solution takes care of. Your explanation in the OP is a bunch of gobbledygook, you have been asked to explain said gobbledygook but respond with gobbledygook saying to look at the OP full of gobbledygook.

To maximize the usefulness of a single av receiver connected to a 3.1, 5.1 or 7.1, etc. speaker setup (utilizing 2 speakers as a center channel, located under the television). The same equipment will allow you to configure any of the speaker configurations already mentioned, but will also allow you to utilize/configure the existing 2 speakers being used as the center channel as front left and front right for a 2.0 or 2.1 configuration. (Please note, that you will still be able to configure/use the traditional Front Left and Front Right located on the sides of the screen for a 2.0 or 2.1 configuration)

This allows a user to have all the benefits of a 3.1, 5.1, 7.1, etc setup but have the option of a quieter/more intimate/subtle experience of a "centrally" positioned 2.0 or 2.1 set up; while still enjoying/benefiting from the quality of independent speakers (when compared to most soundbars). This also provides a more balanced listening experience to those seated on the sides of the screen.

This is accomplished by changing/manipulating the speaker configuration and speaker A/B function via the av receiver menu.
Has the option of a "quieter/more intimate/subtle experience" how the good frig does having this configuration provide a "quieter/more intimate/subtle experience"?????

Gobbledygook!!!

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
This got nowhere at AV either, Citywalker nails it.

From the AV forum

DCS0760 said:
Citywalker,

Was the setup you tried 20 years ago exactly the same as the one described in my OP?
Citywalker's response:
No. Your system is pointless right now and in the future too - if you can't prove your idea.
Some questions for you :

1. Show the receiver model in today's world with a/b speakers as you described
2. Do a diagram, how you connect the system
3. Describe the benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis