Crown XLi 800 question

T

Tom Gee

Audioholic Intern
I just purchased a Crown LKi800, as per recommendation of some members here.

I've got an older Harman PA2500 preamp hooked up to it, and Ascend Acoustics CBM 180 speakers.

Just wondering about the green lights that come on, the manual says its because "input signal exceeds –40 dBu". It seems to be always on, after I turn up the PA2500 volume up 1/4 of the way....is this something to worry about? What does that mean?

Also 0.775V position or 1.4V setting?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Are driving Speakers or Subs? What did you set the input voltage to? And yes the lights will come on. I have a couple of models up from your driving 2 Subs with 4 15" woofers and mine generaly don't go above two unless I'm showing off .. :eek:

Last edited:
T

Tom Gee

Audioholic Intern
It only has a single light, no bars...when I turn it way up, it never goes red, just solid green. I guess it's ok, right?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
You should find that information in your owner's manual. If you don't have one, just go to the Crown website to download it.
It's always good to read the owner's manual.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I looked earlier and could not find an explanation of what to do to correct the situation in the manual.
As I interpret it, this light should normally be solid green (just indicating it has a signal).
I believe flashing indicates an input signal that is too "hot".
It may be that Harmon Pre amp has a stronger signal than most consumer audio pre amps. I would turn the volume down and try switching to 1.4V and ease the volume back up and see how that sounds and if the flashing light turns steady. I believe that may lower the gain structure so the 40dBu limit is not exceeded.
If that doesn't help, and you don't get a more decisive response by Monday, I guess you need to contact Crown's tech support.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
The green light indicates an incoming signal.
Now, if it's flickering, it would mean that the source signal is rather soft and often below the -40dBu level, and when the signal gets stronger, the light stays constantly on. That's normal and I don't see any problem there.

I have a QSC DCA 1222 amp. The signal green light is to show that there is a signal voltage incoming. However, when the signal is weak, that green light doesn't come on. With a higher volume, it then flickers until the incoming signal is strong enough to keep it lit constantly. I assume that the Crown light operates on the same design.

Last edited:
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I looked earlier and could not find an explanation of what to do to correct the situation in the manual.
As I interpret it, this light should normally be solid green (just indicating it has a signal).
I believe flashing indicates an input signal that is too "hot".
It may be that Harmon Pre amp has a stronger signal than most consumer audio pre amps. I would turn the volume down and try switching to 1.4V and ease the volume back up and see how that sounds and if the flashing light turns steady. I believe that may lower the gain structure so the 40dBu limit is not exceeded.
If that doesn't help, and you don't get a more decisive response by Monday, I guess you need to contact Crown's tech support.
Kurt,
I don't see any problem with the OP's amp. A -40dBu level is a rather soft level signal and the Signal description for the light is to show that there is an incoming voltage with a level of at least -40dBu. See my post #10.

Cheers,

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Kurt,
I don't see any problem with the OP's amp. A -40dB level is a rather soft level signal and the Signal description for the light is to show that there is an incoming voltage with a level of at least -40dB. See my post #10.

Cheers,
Thanks!
I missed your statement that -40 dBu was a soft level on the first pass.

In that case it sounds like this light is designed to give the musician a quick confirmation it is working by flashing when they make a significant noise.

I was thinking it might be a like the red LED on my Marantz SR-6001 that flashes to let me know the incoming signal is too strong, resulting in a saturation of the preamp section indicating that I should attenuate the signal (using a switch on the remote).

What you are saying now makes total sense and I realize that Crown would have never used a green light if it were a problem condition.

Thanks again for the correction/clarification!

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks!
I missed your statement that -40 dBu was a soft level on the first pass.

In that case it sounds like this light is designed to give the musician a quick confirmation it is working by flashing when they make a significant noise.

I was thinking it might be a like the red LED on my Marantz SR-6001 that flashes to let me know the incoming signal is too strong, resulting in a saturation of the preamp section indicating that I should attenuate the signal (using a switch on the remote).

What you are saying now makes total sense and I realize that Crown would have never used a green light if it were a problem condition.

Thanks again for the correction/clarification!
You're quite welcome!

Actually, that Crown XLi800 amp has 3 lights: Green to indicate a Signal
Yellow to indicate a Clipping condition
Red to indicate a Fault with the product
That clarifies the whole situation.

Cheers,

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis