4435 for 1600 with shipping. Too good to be true?

mrspis

mrspis

Audiophyte
Hello all, I'm new to this forum, but i am a dedicated audiophile for more than 10 years, today i turned 30. My system consists of Europe series JBL L90 with heavily modified crossovers, in comparing tests they sound about a class above the original ones, the original ones did not have a linear response and there were too many peaks at the mid range and highs, but the modified crossover fixed that and i got a fairly flat response from them, also have a Pioneer S-W1EX subwoofer which sounds pretty good in the lower and, and compensates the lack of it in the JBLs (they go down only 60hz +-). DIY made Single End A Class Pass Labs Aleph 5 Power Amp, PASS 1.7 Pre-amplifier and 192/24 DAC. First i got the speakers and paired them with a Harman Kardon HK6900 amp, i was satisfied, but the sound just was too sharp and not controlled good, there was definitely good dynamics in there, but it just did not have a linear and flat response that i wanted, with too many peaks for me. Then about two years later i got my self used Aleph 5 and Aleph 1.7 set. The sound went two classes up. The dynamic was there, the warmth, mid range and details was unreal at first for me, the dynamic and transparency also. I got used to it in time, i got that setup for about 3 years now, but i would like to change the speakers, as i think that the amplification that runs them is about two classes above them. Also the speaker placement, listening position and sweet spot is terrible. You have to sit at an exact spot for the best sound, and when it comes to speaker placement and adjustment, it is just plain hard. I opt to get a used 4435 speakers, as for first they have absolutely flat response, which with aleph 5 is exactly what i need, also incredible mid range detail and dynamics, but mostly because of so wide listening position with its Bi-Radial horn, that gives a good sound stage at the 100x100 angle, so speaker placement and listening position/sweet spot would not be so hard. I have read only positive comments for them, also i think they suit better my current amplification (plan to upgrade to two DIY Aleph 2 mono blocks if i get the 4435 for more power and more importantly better control of the lower end). I just think that this upgrade would be a major one for my speakers, also i would loose the need for a subwoofer as 4435 is more than capable at handling the lower end, but i would probably keep it for surround when i decide to make one, also would keep the pair of L90 for the back speakers. I have one lone left L90 speaker that i would use for center in that case, and if the 4435 buying fails, i also have JBL L80 from the same series, so i would use them for backs and keep my L90 as fronts. Just to introduce my self :)

I found one pair for sale on hifishark for 1600eu, including shipping. The seller claims that the speakers are in perfect condition, that the foam on the woofers does not need a change, and he wants to use his secure shipping company that holds money in their account until i receive the speakers, and then i have 3 days to inspect them. Here is a quote from the seller about the deal that concerns me"

"The speakers are in perfect condition foam of the woofers don't need to be changed and I have also the grills. I am in Portugal and if you want to close this deal with me, I will have to arrange shipping from here (I will pay the delivery cost).
I will send you the speakers with an international shipping company to handle the transaction for us. By using this company and their services, you receive the speakers before I receive the money because the transport company has a purchase protection program and we will use this service to close our transaction. We will be both protected and our transaction will be 100% safe. I have done this before and i was very pleased about it. Using this delivery company we have a few advantages:
- This protection program was made exactly for this kind of transaction.
- You receive the speakers and inspect them, before I receive the money, so there is no risk for you.
- You have 3 days for inspection after you receive them and decide if you want to buy it or not.
- The transportation is insured, so if anything happens with it during transportation, the delivery company will pay for it. If you are interested in closing this deal with me, please tell me and I will explain exactly how the process works. I wait for your reply.
Thank you"

That was the first message and it seemed OK, but then i got these reply

"Yes total price including shipping fees is 1600 EUR, delivery period is 3-4 working days.
I will use Inpost for delivery, here is the website : www.inpost-24.net
I will explain exactly how the delivery and payment process works, please read the next part carefully to avoid misunderstandings:
1. First I go at the transport company, I give them the speakers and start our transaction and the delivery process.
2. The company will send you an email to confirm the speakers are in their possession and they will provide you with shipping details and payment information.
3. You send the money to the transport company and they will keep the money for you until you receive the speakers.
4. After the transport company receives your payment confirmation, they will start the transportation to your location.
5. After you receive the speakers, you have 3 days to inspect it and decide if you want to keep it or not.
After the 3 days inspection period is over, you have 2 options:
Option 1: You decide to keep them. in this case, the transport company will give me the money you sent to them. Our transaction is closed successfully.
Option 2: You decide not to keep them. in this case, the transport company will give you your money back and they will cancel the transaction.
So, as you can see, the transaction is 100% safe and we are both protected.
If you are ready to move forward, please email me with your full name, complete address (street, number, city, postal code .etc) and a phone number where you can be reached.
After I receive these information from you, I will arrange the transaction. Of course there will be a contract of sale, a bill of sale and an invoice for you."

The part where he says i need to send the money to the transport company in advance for them to begin the shipment concerns me, especially if it is by western union. I'm asking my self if this is just another scam, because Ive seen literally thousand scams of absolutely all types on the Internet, especially similar is the car scam, where the seller is selling a good car in good condition below the price, and he also arranges shipment, but asks for some payment in advance. Also, on hifishark the 4435 do not go below €4,250, and that is some realistic price for them i think. On the other hand, i read on numerous forums that people got their hand on a good pair of 4435 for as little as 2000$ at a sale. It is just too suspicious for that king of speakers and this price, especially that he is even offering transport at his cost. At the other hand, maybe he just wants to get rid of the speakers as quick as possible and/or needs money quickly. Maybe it is just another sale and a good deal. What are your toughs? Could it be a real ad or just another type of Internet scam? I will definitely stay in touch with the seller, and especially ask him and investigate this shipping company, and try to find out as much as i can about them, mainly if i need to pay by western union. If this is just another scam, then i will save up for a few more months and buy a pair of 4435 from a proper ad/seller. I will keep you informed of the progress with the seller.
Below i will post a link to the ad. Thanks for any reply. Cheers from Croatia!

http://www.annunci.net/bologna/audio-tv-video/jbl-4435-dual-15-monitor-loudspeaker-pr-vintage-speakers-2075633

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Hello all, I'm new to this forum, but i am a dedicated audiophile for more than 10 years, today i turned 30. My system consists of Europe series JBL L90 with heavily modified crossovers, in comparing tests they sound about a class above the original ones, the original ones did not have a linear response and there were too many peaks at the mid range and highs, but the modified crossover fixed that and i got a fairly flat response from them. DIY made Single End A Class Pass Labs Aleph 5 Power Amp, PASS 1.7 Pre-amplifier and 192/24 DAC. First i got the speakers and paired them with a Harman Kardon HK6900 amp, i was satisfied, but the sound just was too sharp and not controlled good, there was definitely good dynamics in there, but it just did not have a linear and flat response that i wanted, with too many peaks for me. Then about two years later i got my self used Aleph 5 and Aleph 1.7 set. The sound went two classes up. The dynamic was there, the warmth, mid range and details was unreal at first for me, the dynamic and transparency also. I got used to it in time, i got that setup for about 3 years now, but i would like to change the speakers, as i think that the amplification that runs them is about two classes above them. Also the speaker placement, listening position and sweet spot is terrible. You have to sit at an exact spot for the best sound, and when it comes to speaker placement and adjustment, it is just plain hard. I opt to get a used 4435 speakers, as for first they have absolutely flat response, which with aleph 5 is exacly what i need, also incredible mid range detail and dynamics, but mostly because of so wide listening position with its Bi-Radial horn, that gives a good sound stage at the 100x100 angle, so speaker placement and listening position/sweet spot would not be so hard. I have read only positive comments for them, also i think they suit better my current amplification (plan to upgrade to two DIY Aleph 2 mono blocks if i get the 4435 for more power and more importantly better control of the lower end). Just to introduce my self :)

I found one pair for sale on hifishark for 1600eu, including shipping. The seller claims that the speakers are in perfect condition, that the foam on the woofers does not need a change, and he wants to use his secure shipping company that holds money in their account until i receive the speakers, and then i have 3 days to inspect them. Here is a quote from the seller about the deal that concerns me"

"The speakers are in perfect condition foam of the woofers don'r need to be changed and I have also the grills. I am in Portugal and if you want to close this deal with me, I will have to arrange shipping from here (I will pay the delivery cost).
I will send you the speakers with an international shipping company to handle the transaction for us. By using this company and their services, you receive the speakers before I receive the money because the transport company has a purchase protection program and we will use this service to close our transaction. We will be both protected and our transaction will be 100% safe. I have done this before and i was very pleased about it. Using this delivery company we have a few advantages:
- This protection program was made exactly for this kind of transaction.
- You receive the speakers and inspect them, before I receive the money, so there is no risk for you.
- You have 3 days for inspection after you receive them and decide if you want to buy it or not.
- The transportation is insured, so if anything happens with it during transportation, the delivery company will pay for it. If you are interested in closing this deal with me, please tell me and I will explain exactly how the process works. I wait for your reply.
Thank you"

That was the first message and it seemed OK, but then i got these reply

"Yes total price including shipping fees is 1600 EUR, delivery period is 3-4 working days.
I will use Inpost for delivery, here is the website : www.inpost-24.net
I will explain exactly how the delivery and payment process works, please read the next part carefully to avoid misunderstandings:
1. First I go at the transport company, I give them the speakers and start our transaction and the delivery process.
2. The company will send you an email to confirm the speakers are in their possession and they will provide you with shipping details and payment information.
3. You send the money to the transport company and they will keep the money for you until you receive the speakers.
4. After the transport company receives your payment confirmation, they will start the transportation to your location.
5. After you receive the speakers, you have 3 days to inspect it and decide if you want to keep it or not.
After the 3 days inspection period is over, you have 2 options:
Option 1: You decide to keep them. in this case, the transport company will give me the money you sent to them. Our transaction is closed successfully.
Option 2: You decide not to keep them. in this case, the transport company will give you your money back and they will cancel the transaction.
So, as you can see, the transaction is 100% safe and we are both protected.
If you are ready to move forward, please email me with your full name, complete address (street, number, city, postal code .etc) and a phone number where you can be reached.
After I receive these information from you, I will arrange the transaction. Of course there will be a contract of sale, a bill of sale and an invoice for you."

The part where he says i need to send the money to the transport company in advance for them to begin the shipment concerns me, especially if it is by western union. I'm asking my self if this is just another scam, because Ive seen literally thousand scams of absolutely all types on the Internet, especially similar is the car scam, where the seller is selling a good car in good condition below the price, and he also arranges shipment, but asks for some payment in advance. Also, on hifishark the 4435 do not go below €4,250, and that is some realistic price for them i think. On the other hand, i read on numerous forums that people got their hand on a good pair of 4435 for as little as 2000$ at a sale. It is just too suspicious for that king of speakers and this price, especially that he is even offering transport at his cost. At the other hand, maybe he just wants to get rid of the speakers as quick as possible and/or needs money quickly. Maybe it is just another sale and a good deal. What are your toughs? Could it be a real ad or just another type of Internet scam? I will definitely stay in touch with the seller, and especially ask him and investigate this shipping company, and try to find out as much as i can about them, mainly if i need to pay by western union. If this is just another scam, then i will save up for a few more months and buy a pair of 4435 from a proper ad/seller. I will keep you informed of the progress with the seller.
Below i will post a link to the ad. Thanks for any reply. Cheers from Croatia!

http://www.annunci.net/bologna/audio-tv-video/jbl-4435-dual-15-monitor-loudspeaker-pr-vintage-speakers-2075633
I wouldn't send money first. Not unless it was through Amazon, ebay or a credit card or something like that where they have protections in place for consumers in case of fraud.

I just recently upgraded from a receiver to a pretty beefy amplifier and didn't notice any real differences in sq or being "more linear". Most amplifiers should sound the same without any eq or filtering.

mrspis

mrspis

Audiophyte
I try to post but it says my post contains spam content?

mrspis

mrspis

Audiophyte
I contacted the shipping company and the seller and asked how the payment goes for security reasons.

mrspis

mrspis

Audiophyte
I agree with you that most amps should sound the same without any EQ or filtering. That's why my p 1.7 has no EQs, it has an attenuator instead of a potentiometer for volume, and it is also in single end class A, so the signal has the shortest path to the Aleph 5. Only then the sound can be linnear and with as little coloration as possible!
The byer replyed with this:
Hi again Branko!

As I know you should make the payment via bank transfer from your bank account, you can use also the online banking.

Best regards!

So it seems i can use a credit card transfer? It might not be a scam?
Sorry for the spam.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I agree with you that most amps should sound the same without any EQ or filtering. That's why my p 1.7 has no EQs, it has an attenuator instead of a potentiometer for volume, and it is also in single end class A, so the signal has the shortest path to the Aleph 5. Only then the sound can be linnear and with as little coloration as possible!
The byer replyed with this:
Hi again Branko!

As I know you should make the payment via bank transfer from your bank account, you can use also the online banking.

Best regards!

So it seems i can use a credit card transfer? It might not be a scam?
Sorry for the spam.
Sometimes the forum limits what you can post for the first five or ten you make. You shouldn't get that notice again after.

Transfer funds from your bank? Huh uh. I wouldn't do it. Just keep shopping. What kind of budget do you have for speakers? I'm assuming you're located in the UK? We're experts at spending other people's money here!

Not too shy about spending my own sometimes either... l've fallen pretty deep into this rabbit hole. lol

mrspis

mrspis

Audiophyte
Oh that's why it says spam, thanks. I will definitely opt for a Paypal payment. I'm in Serbia by the way. I dint know how to change my location in the profile panel, or my signature? My current speaker budget is about 2000eu, but if i sell the subwoofer, it might go up to 2500eu. If this is indeed a scam then i will have to wait a few months until i have ad least 5000eu and try buying a normal pair. Cheers!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Oh that's why it says spam, thanks. I will definitely opt for a Paypal payment. I'm in Serbia by the way. I dint know how to change my location in the profile panel, or my signature? My current speaker budget is about 2000eu, but if i sell the subwoofer, it might go up to 2500eu. If this is indeed a scam then i will have to wait a few months until i have ad least 5000eu and try buying a normal pair. Cheers!
Be wary. It has all the earmarks of a questionable seller. Good luck!

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
JBL 4435's that are perfect, that would be very remote. They're so heavy it's hard to imagine they could have been installed without some damage, or marks from mounting hardware. At any rate, get pictures from the seller, lots of them.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis