Newb needs some help: speaker size

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
sounds like a welding project to me. I do have power to my listening chair. should be simple to get the whole servo-actuated, articulated stands thing up an running before April. :D
Or just apply them to the chair!

ps I've always wanted a fancy dentist's chair....

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Well congratulations on taking the leap for really good speakers!

Do tell which finish you ordered. There are so many choices! I like that about Salk. They probably don't have many pairs out there which "match" another pair, other than perhaps a high gloss black lacquer which seems popular among many premium speaker makers.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Well congratulations on taking the leap for really good speakers!
Do tell which finish you ordered. There are so many choices! I like that about Salk.
Of all the struggles in making a speaker choice, picking out the veneer and finish at Salk was one of the most difficult. I will save you the story, but I struggled all over the map. I ended up by choosing curly cherry. I am still second guessing myself over the choice. I am very confident in choosing Songtowers, but with all the choice in finishes I was nearly paralyzed.

If it weren't for Swerd and without his help, I might still be looking at pictures and chasing my tail.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Congrats on the Purchase Buck. I hope they give you years of enjoyment. I look forward to you next purchase. Subs!

Then we can wait and see how your REW skills are by then. And then maybe a MiniDSP. I'll learn a lot from your experiences. Thanks.!

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Of all the struggles in making a speaker choice, picking out the veneer and finish at Salk was one of the most difficult. I will save you the story, but I struggled all over the map. I ended up by choosing curly cherry. I am still second guessing myself over the choice. I am very confident in choosing Songtowers, but with all the choice in finishes I was nearly paralyzed.

If it weren't for Swerd and without his help, I might still be looking at pictures and chasing my tail.
Curly cherry is a great choice. One thing to note about cherry. It darkens with age or UV exposure to a most pleasant color. One of my favorite species. Two knives I made have cherry burl handles and my own Tempests are finished in plain cherry veneer. Also, it has a good degree of rot resistance and is actually suitable for some use in boat building.

Other than the color, the grain is identical to maple. Often times, with commercial furniture building, maple is often substituted and stained to look like cherry.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Buck, one thing you should remember to do is the same type of measurements that you did earlier in the thread for the Klipsch speakers. Remember that the microphone will need to be in the same place for a head-on comparison. I think it will be very interesting to see how the response changes from the Klipsch to the Salk. The bass response may still be a mess, so don't be surprised if that is the case. That can be helped some by EQing though.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Buck, one thing you should remember to do is the same type of measurements that you did earlier in the thread for the Klipsch speakers. Remember that the microphone will need to be in the same place for a head-on comparison. I think it will be very interesting to see how the response changes from the Klipsch to the Salk. The bass response may still be a mess, so don't be surprised if that is the case. That can be helped some by EQing though.
Great minds think alike. In this case, I was thinking the same as you. :D
I think what I will do is take a fresh set of measurements on the existing Klipsch when the Songtowers arrive, but are not yet in the room. I will probably ask for some advice at that time for additional information to gather that I'm currently not gathering so I do the most complete job possible.

Then, do it again with the Songtowers. I suspect I will have to do some work on room positioning for the new speakers, but since the place isn't that big, it won't take a ton of time. I like your train of thought and I will do my best to gather up the best comparison I can manage.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Curly cherry is a great choice. One thing to note about cherry. It darkens with age or UV exposure to a most pleasant color. One of my favorite species. Two knives I made have cherry burl handles and my own Tempests are finished in plain cherry veneer. Also, it has a good degree of rot resistance and is actually suitable for some use in boat building.

Other than the color, the grain is identical to maple. Often times, with commercial furniture building, maple is often substituted and stained to look like cherry.
I am glad to hear you like the curly cherry choice. Since you know wood, you are a great person to hear from. I know more than the average bear, but not as much as someone who is still building projects. Swerd told me the same types of things about how cherry ages, and how his have aged over the last 8 years or so he has owned them. I really like what I see in cherry, and what Salk does with their finishes. I am anxious to unwrap them. I tell you, without advice from folks like Swerd and yourself, this would have been a really tough choice to make. But, I'm feeling pretty good about it. Thanks for tossing in a few positive thoughts. I can always use some positive thinking.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I am glad to hear you like the curly cherry choice. Since you know wood, you are a great person to hear from. I know more than the average bear, but not as much as someone who is still building projects. Swerd told me the same types of things about how cherry ages, and how his have aged over the last 8 years or so he has owned them. I really like what I see in cherry, and what Salk does with their finishes. I am anxious to unwrap them. I tell you, without advice from folks like Swerd and yourself, this would have been a really tough choice to make. But, I'm feeling pretty good about it. Thanks for tossing in a few positive thoughts. I can always use some positive thinking.
Just a little vicarious association is all. I dig it when people get cool things that are quality built. I'm happy for it all working out for you.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Just a little vicarious association is all. I dig it when people get cool things that are quality built. I'm happy for it all working out for you.
I have been checking in on my Salk Songtowers and after an agonizing 20 year wait (that may be an overstatement) my speakers are in "final inspection" at the place where all the magic happens. Assuming the folks who do the "final inspection" find them up to snuff, the only thing left after that is packing them up and shipping them to Arizona. I am very happy at the moment.

I have been looking at pictures of Salk speakers that owners have posted on the Salk website. I am geeked. I know from other Salk owners that one of the most agonizing choices is the choice of wood veneer and finish. I swear, I've thought about that everytime I see a picture of another Salk speaker in some exotic wood that I've never heard of. I went with a fairly plain jane choice : curly cherry. I love the look and given where they are going, a gaudy wood finish probably wouldn't look so great. I can see I'm going to need another pair in one of those marvelous exotic woods and I don't even have mine in house yet.

I guess I'm going to have to sell a kidney to afford that 2nd pair. Seems fair.
I am waiting, patiently, for the shipping notice. I'm already tapping my foot.................

Last edited:
M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I have been checking in on my Salk Songtowers and after an agonizing 20 year wait (that may be an overstatement) my speakers are in "final inspection" at the place where all the magic happens. Assuming the folks who do the "final inspection" find them up to snuff, the only thing left after that is packing them up and shipping them to Arizona. I am very happy at the moment.

I have been looking at pictures of Salk speakers that owners have posted on the Salk website. I am geeked. I know from other Salk owners that one of the most agonizing choices is the choice of wood veneer and finish. I swear, I've thought about that everytime I see a picture of another Salk speaker in some exotic wood that I've never heard of. I went with a fairly plain jane choice : curly maple. I love the look and given where they are going, a gaudy wood finish probably wouldn't look so great. I can see I'm going to need another pair in one of those marvelous exotic woods and I don't even have mine in house yet.

I guess I'm going to have to sell a kidney to afford that 2nd pair. Seems fair.
I am waiting, patiently, for the shipping notice. I'm already tapping my foot.................
I've worked with a lot of exotic woods. I get tired of looking at them after a spell. Maple and cherry have nearly identical grain. Often times, furniture makers stain maple cherry color because it can be more uniform than actual cherry. My favorite woods are white (quarter sawn) oak, maple, cherry and Honduras (genuine) mahogany. Then there are some super hardwoods like Osage Orange, some super decay resistant species like ancient cypress. Olive wood is yet another I like for some things. I have quite a collection of different woods that I have collected over the years.

Maple is a good choice. Some of the burls, or even the quarter sawn profile can have a chatoyancy to it that is interesting in different light.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I've worked with a lot of exotic woods. I get tired of looking at them after a spell. Maple and cherry have nearly identical grain. Often times, furniture makers stain maple cherry color because it can be more uniform than actual cherry. My favorite woods are white (quarter sawn) oak, maple, cherry and Honduras (genuine) mahogany. Then there are some super hardwoods like Osage Orange, some super decay resistant species like ancient cypress. Olive wood is yet another I like for some things. I have quite a collection of different woods that I have collected over the years.

Maple is a good choice. Some of the burls, or even the quarter sawn profile can have a chatoyancy to it that is interesting in different light.
I biffed. I said curly maple, but, meant curly cherry. Like I said, its been a loooooooooong time since I ordered them. Swerd went with curly cherry on his and I liked the look so much I decided to cast my lot in the same direction. They will be with me a long time to come so I wanted something that would stay timeless and still look great.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I biffed. I said curly maple, but, meant curly cherry. Like I said, its been a loooooooooong time since I ordered them. Swerd went with curly cherry on his and I liked the look so much I decided to cast my lot in the same direction. They will be with me a long time to come so I wanted something that would stay timeless and still look great.
Went to the website to see what that might look like and then they ask about dye, tone & color options on top of curly cherry choice....what combo did you get?

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Went to the website to see what that might look like and then they ask about dye, tone & color options on top of curly cherry choice....what combo did you get?
Jim Salk took a special picture for me before they leave the manufacturing site.
He told me they did some custom work to make them extra special and make the tweeters sound better.
Hope you like them.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Oh wait, that was a bad angle. I have a better angle. This is a picture of Swerds curly cherry.
If mine look this good, I'm happy.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Jim Salk took a special picture for me before they leave the manufacturing site.
He told me they did some custom work to make them extra special and make the tweeters sound better.
Hope you like them.
Man, I'll bet you'll have the highest highs sssssssizzle! you just need a box full of super tweeters and a good off the shelf crossover for the highest highs and the lowest lows.

Love the board on the woofer for further damping and preventing over excursion. I would have never thought of that! Those guys at Salk are geniuses!

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Those guys at Salk are geniuses!
I had a visit from the Fedex guy today.

My Songtowers are in the house after a few months of tender loving attention and craftsmanship.

My first impression and my total out of the box impression are the same : Winner Winner Chicken Dinner.

I will have to spend some time putting words together. Right now, I'm pretty speechless.

Photo's don't do them justice. What Jim Salk achieves with grain and texture is remarkable.

The "curly" in curly cherry is remarkable to look at and very difficult to photograph.

The fit n finish are remarkable. Front, back, sides: everywhere.

You will please excuse me while I go and hide myself away for a few days and play them.
That's supposed to be the very best part : how they sound.
I'm knocked out so far so I'm pretty hopeful.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I had a visit from the Fedex guy today.

My Songtowers are in the house after a few months of tender loving attention and craftsmanship.

My first impression and my total out of the box impression are the same : Winner Winner Chicken Dinner.

I will have to spend some time putting words together. Right now, I'm pretty speechless.

Photo's don't do them justice. What Jim Salk achieves with grain and texture is remarkable.

The "curly" in curly cherry is remarkable to look at and very difficult to photograph.

The fit n finish are remarkable. Front, back, sides: everywhere.

You will please excuse me while I go and hide myself away for a few days and play them.
That's supposed to be the very best part : how they sound.
I'm knocked out so far so I'm pretty hopeful.
That's great news and they look awesome. Congratulations!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Buck, I still remember when you started this thread. What a journey! I know how you feel right now because I still have the same feeling! I can't wait to read some of your first impressions. Those speakers are gorgeous.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis