Time for upgrade but need questions answered.

S

syberman

Junior Audioholic
Hello all,
I need some help/advice, I currently have a Bose cube system and it's connected to a
Pioneer Elite SC 35 AVR. The bass module stopped working a few years back and I purchased a BIC F-12 sub. I am now ready to upgrade my speakers.

I currently have a 5.1 system and I want to upgrade it to a 7.1. I've been looking at various makes such as SVS, RBH and even Axiom Audio. The brick and mortar retailer near me has Def Tech, B&W, which I heard. I liked the B&W, they were loud and crisp. But I've read/told that I wouldn't get the same sound at home. I don't know if this is true or not.

What speakers would you recommend to pair with Pioneer Elite SC 35? My budget is $3,000 to $5,000. My family and I watch movies, sci-fi, action, drama etc. And for music, it ranges from classical to top 40 dance to trap and EDM and everything in between. My room size is 12x20. Should I stay with bookshelf speakers for my L/R or can I get floor standing speakers? Read that since I have a sub already, floor standing is overkill?

I want to do this right and I'm reaching out for advice, any help is always appreciated!!

O

ozil768

Audiophyte
I can't offer any advice as I'm a newbie, but I'd appreciate it if you could look at my thread as you seem like an expert.

Thanks

S

syberman

Junior Audioholic
I can't offer any advice as I'm a newbie, but I'd appreciate it if you could look at my thread as you seem like an expert.

Thanks
Lol, I'm not a expert. Just need some guidance and direction so I can make the best decision. Where is your thread ozil768

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
RBH and SVS are solid brands. I would also be looking at Ascend Acoustics, Hsu research, Revel Concerto2, and, if you don't need the speakers to be pretty, look at some JBL LSR308s or Emotiva Stealth 8s. For subs, I would be looking at Hsu's 15"s, the SVS cylinder subs, Rythmik Audio's 15"s, and Outlaw Audio's subs. Get two subs.

As for floorstanding vs bookshelf speakers, since you will have a subwoofer, unless you plan on listening really loud, just get bookshelf speakers.

S

syberman

Junior Audioholic
RBH and SVS are solid brands. I would also be looking at Ascend Acoustics, Hsu research, Revel Concerto2, and, if you don't need the speakers to be pretty, look at some JBL LSR308s or Emotiva Stealth 8s. For subs, I would be looking at Hsu's 15"s, the SVS cylinder subs, Rythmik Audio's 15"s, and Outlaw Audio's subs. Get two subs.

As for floorstanding vs bookshelf speakers, since you will have a subwoofer, unless you plan on listening really loud, just get bookshelf speakers.
Thanks ShadyJ, I have a 12" sub already, not looking to upgrade that now. How does everyone here rate the SVS prime series speakers? Or even Paradigm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Thanks ShadyJ, I have a 12" sub already, not looking to upgrade that now. How does everyone here rate the SVS prime series speakers? Or even Paradigm?

Your 12" is an entry level subwoofer and wouldn't be a good match for the kind of speakers you are looking at. You should get something that can keep up with these speakers.

W

Winkleswizard

Audioholic
Hello all,
I need some help/advice, I currently have a Bose cube system and it's connected to a
Pioneer Elite SC 35 AVR. The bass module stopped working a few years back and I purchased a BIC F-12 sub. I am now ready to upgrade my speakers.

I currently have a 5.1 system and I want to upgrade it to a 7.1. I've been looking at various makes such as SVS, RBH and even Axiom Audio. The brick and mortar retailer near me has Def Tech, B&W, which I heard. I liked the B&W, they were loud and crisp. But I've read/told that I wouldn't get the same sound at home. I don't know if this is true or not.

What speakers would you recommend to pair with Pioneer Elite SC 35? My budget is $3,000 to $5,000. My family and I watch movies, sci-fi, action, drama etc. And for music, it ranges from classical to top 40 dance to trap and EDM and everything in between. My room size is 12x20. Should I stay with bookshelf speakers for my L/R or can I get floor standing speakers? Read that since I have a sub already, floor standing is overkill?

I want to do this right and I'm reaching out for advice, any help is always appreciated!!

My HT room is about the size of yours and would just offer that about any speaker is going to sound different in your home than in the show room. There are a lot of different B&W speakers and some need more space behind them than others. This is true of the larger DefTechs too.

I would strongly recommend dual subwoofers. If you cross them lower (THX is 80 Hz), tower mains that can handle upper bass will help tame room resonances too. Speaker placement is critical too. So if you do not have room (or budget), satellite mains offer more flexibility. In general, away from back wall is better but I never felt comfortable with my nice, new satellites balanced on stands. Still, quality satellites would be better than cheap towers.

If you mainly listen on your own in the middle, you can save some money without a center channel. Otherwise, a center that is a good match for your mains is important. Better center speakers will generally have midrange/tweeters that are offset from the woofer.

Hope this helps a bit.

Ww

Last edited:

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Hello all,

My budget is $3,000 to $5,000. My family and I watch movies, sci-fi, action, drama etc. And for music, it ranges from classical to top 40 dance to trap and EDM and everything in between. My room size is 12x20. Should I stay with bookshelf speakers for my L/R or can I get floor standing speakers? Read that since I have a sub already, floor standing is overkill?

Syberman...I think you've come to the right place for experience knowledge and honest opinions. Of course when it's all said and done we're just offering opinions.

I've highlighted the key parts of your post that I'm going to respond to.

"I want to do this right"...I haven't been on this board very long, but when I came here looking for advice, my objective was exactly the same as yours in terms of the finished product. I didn't want to buy something that I would be looking to upgrade again in 2 yrs. Most of us have budget constraints, but I applaud this comment and the basis of my feedback will fall back on this comment as well.

Upgrading Speakers...smart move, whether it's music or movies, the best bang for your buck is upgrading speakers. At the very least you're working with about 2000 cu ft, slightly more if the ceiling is higher than 8'. By most standards this is a medium size space for HT/Music. Even on the high side of your budget imo 5.1 makes the most sense.

Book shelf or Floorstanders...I'm a music guy mostly and will always lean toward a quality floor stander over the same caliber book shelf speaker. On the other hand, I will always take a better quality BS speaker over a lower quality floor stander.

Option 1...Martin Logan Motion 40 and the Motion 30 center...they do make surround speakers Motion 4 will do the trick....rack rate would be roughly $3k. I've listened to these speakers in detail...for a med size space I think they will do a great job. This is an OEM speaker, Best Buy will have them in their Magnolia section...if nothing else, take a listen.

Option 2...HSU CCB-8 BS speaker x 5 $1800 to $2200 depending on the finish. I have not heard these, but I've talked to several people that have heard them. Coupled with the national reviews these speakers are getting and the background of the company...I would spend my money on them.

B&W...I own this brand of speaker right now...I've always liked the 800 series and I still do, but with your budget you're looking at something other than the 800 series if they are new. Generally speaking, I think you can get better SQ for less money.

To both of these options I would add a pair of subwoofers...a lot of options there, I just bought a pair of the HSU VTF3 mk5...with the BS speakers you're going to coming under $4k...with the Martin Logans you would be just under the top end budget.

Now, I know you have a sub and it might seem redundant to buy two more, but when you said you want to do it right...this is doing it right. You have an entry level sub that would probably be okay in a small room, but the HSU subs would really enhance the upgrade that you're trying to make for the movies and music.

Good luck with it.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Not a lot of folks have them on this forum, but I gotta say I'm very happy with my SVS Ultra speakers. They ain't cheap, but they're really good speakers.

2channel lover

Not a lot of folks have them on this forum, but I gotta say I'm very happy with my SVS Ultra speakers. They ain't cheap, but they're really good speakers.
I've always identified SVS with subs, so the speakers have always flown under my radar. The Ultra Series is highly regarded by the audio media and when you read the owner reviews, they have a following. In the 6 mos or so that I've been on this forum, I know that you put a healthy (maybe like me and it's unhealthy :)) demand on SQ. With you doubling down on the towers, that's proof enough for me to know that they are legit.

S

syberman

Junior Audioholic
Thanks 2 channel for your in depth reply. I probably will upgrade my sub, but it's going to be at a later date. Gotta save up some $ for it. I can also get some low ends from then towers, right? Also, my AVR doesn't have atmos. Should I hold off on getting a new AVR and just get the 7 speakers for now? If I did go with any of the speakers mentioned, would my pioneer sc 35 do the job? Thank you all for your help!

2channel lover

Thanks 2 channel for your in depth reply. I probably will upgrade my sub, but it's going to be at a later date. Gotta save up some $ for it. I can also get some low ends from then towers, right? Also, my AVR doesn't have atmos. Should I hold off on getting a new AVR and just get the 7 speakers for now? If I did go with any of the speakers mentioned, would my pioneer sc 35 do the job? Thank you all for your help!

The subs will make a huge difference in HT. I just got my subs about 2 weeks ago. Prior to that my sub was 10 yrs old...from a music standpoint these newer subs are quick and keep up with the beat...not slow and boomy. Even if it means at a later date, don't leave that out...start with one and see, but to smooth it out, most rooms benefit from two. I know large subs kind of put stress on WAF, but don't skimp there.

I didn't realize the AVR was up for renewal...I think it will be fine for your power needs with any of the speakers I mentioned...if you found it's lacking, as long as it has pre outs you can always ramp up power. If the surround processing, Atmos, etc. is important then yes, you are due for an upgrade.

5.1 vs 7.1...if there is plenty of room behind the main seating area...7.1 is an upgrade over 5.1. I only have 5' from the seats to the back wall so my back rears would be right on top of my side surrounds...no benefit....I have easy attic access for in ceiling speakers so I'm going with a 5.2.2 system.

S

syberman

Junior Audioholic
Is atmos really worth the upgrade in therms of $'s? I know it's a new technology, which change so frequently, will this take into mainstream?

2channel lover

Is atmos really worth the upgrade in therms of $'s? I know it's a new technology, which change so frequently, will this take into mainstream?

Truthfully, I'm not the one to answer that. I'm mostly into music.

I started literally with a blank sheet of paper on a complete audio/HT rebuild...when I looked at processors, object based surround was sort of the latest thing. I did a couple of demos with some really nice systems...I can 't lie, it's nice...so I said it makes sense to do it since I had the attic space above. I've had a 5.2 capability for at least 2 weeks now and have yet to listen to anything but 2 channel.

That'll change this weekend though...I've got a few multi-channel SACDs, and the Atmos will be connected Sat. so I'm going to give a movie a test run as well.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
I'd go for 7.1 with a height configuration. Rear surrounds add very little to the sound stage. The receiver you currently have can do PLIIz. In the future an atmos upgrade will further improve this.

Sent from my 5065N using Tapatalk

S

syberman

Junior Audioholic
Thanks everyone for all the responses, this is truly helpful for me. I'll go with the 7.1 configuration and upgrade my receiver, sub and atmos at a later time. Now, for the side speakers do I use bookshelves or surround speakers?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks everyone for all the responses, this is truly helpful for me. I'll go with the 7.1 configuration and upgrade my receiver, sub and atmos at a later time. Now, for the side speakers do I use bookshelves or surround speakers?

Bookshelves would be sufficient as surround speakers. You will be using a subwoofer which will handle the low frequencies.

Although it's not a must, it's usually preferable to use bookshelf speakers of the same brand as the front speakers for their identical sound characteristics.

Last edited:
Joe B

Joe B

Audioholic Chief

I've got a 5.1 channel set up using all Paradigm speakers:
Prestige 75F (front left & right)
Monitor Center 1 v7
Monitor Surround v7
Monitor Sub 8

I'm really happy with the sound reproduction. Movies and music (classical, jazz, rock) sound excellent. I have an Anthem receiver so the speakers have been set up using Anthem ARC room correction. I was all set to purchase B&W CM10's for the front left and right and other B&W speakers for center, surrounds, and sub woofer, but I went to another store and listened to a set of Paradigms Prestige 95's. I was impressed. I wound up going with the 75's because of the size of my living room (12.5' x 14'). I would give Paradigm a listen before laying out any money.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
To be happy with the sound reproduction is the main aim. Enjoy!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis