Best layout for my room?

O

ozil768

Audiophyte

Hello, my first ever speakers and reciever are arriving tomorrow, the only problem is that my tv is in the corner of the room and I've read only certain seating will get full surround sound?

I've posted a layout of my living room below and where I'm thinking to put the speakers. Would it be okay to put left centre right all on the tv cabinet/stand? What would be the best way to set it up?. I'll have a subwoofer, centre, left, right and two rear speakers.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Putting the TV diagonal like that is really not doing the sound any favors, let alone the viewing. Can you place the TV against the right side wall there, so it is adjacent to the sofa on the left side? That would improve everything. It will allow you to spread the speakers out more which will give you a better sound. As it is, if you put all the front stage speakers so close to each other, they become more like one big glorified center channel speaker. The left and right front speakers should be spread out more. Your present arrangement make the surround speaker placement very awkward as well. You might just think about not even using the surround speakers in that setup.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
May seem like that gives equal tv viewing but both that and surround audio are still going to be compromised. Like shadyj is mentioning....

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
You're going to have some really bad imaging placing the surrounds like that relative to the front. I would place the TV on the short wall, and the sub in the corner. Pick one sofa as the main listening position and set the system up for that. With two sofas catty cornered like that there's no way to get a perfect setup for both. The sofa at the bottom of the image would probably work best, since placing it on the wall to the right would put the bottom sofa way off axis.

You can place the speakers on the TV stand, but its probably not ideal. The front left and right need to be at least 22° apart, ideally 30. If the mlp is 10' away for example, that means the front l/r need to be at least 8' apart.

What are the room dimensions?

Sent from my 5065N using Tapatalk

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Without dimensions its hard to say anything.

A corner arrangement is perfectly fine, it just needs to be set up correctly and that likely involves special speaker mounting = extra cost.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis