What Size is your 4K set and how far do you sit from it?

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
If you purchased a 4K set can you share how what size it and how far you sit from it? Trying to get a consensus of an Audioholics forum members seating distance from their TVs.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I have a 65" 4K and I sit about 9 to 10 ft awya from it

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
I sit about 10 ft away from my 65 inch 4k

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
60". I sit about 13 feet away (too far, but you know... budget).

M

Masher59

Junior Audioholic
65" Sony XBR 65X900E and I sit 9ft away from it.

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
I believe the correct calculation for 4K is 1.5 x the screen height.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I believe the correct calculation for 4K is 1.5 x the screen height.
Correct calculation for what?
I'd guess a 65" diagonal TV is about 36" tall so 1.5 X 36" = 54". What do we use this for?
Maybe you could walk us through an example.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Correct calculation for what?
I'd guess a 65" diagonal TV is about 36" tall so 1.5 X 36" = 54". What do we use this for?
Maybe you could walk us through an example.
Screen size vs. viewing distance

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
To my knowledge, there is not a difference in 'viewing ratio' (size:distance) for 4K vs 1080P.

THX recommends dividing the screen size by .84 to obtain optimum viewing distance. This is considered 'immersive' and is about as large as one would reasonably want to go, before you have to start moving your head to see everything.

To simplify: if you take the screen size and multiply by 1.2, you will get the same result as above. What is considered 'ideal' is to have that ratio between 1.2 and 1.6 based on preference.

So KEW, that would mean a 65" TV = 78"-104" viewing distance to allow that screen to fill your view.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
To my knowledge, there is not a difference in 'viewing ratio' (size:distance) for 4K vs 1080P.

THX recommends dividing the screen size by .84 to obtain optimum viewing distance. This is considered 'immersive' and is about as large as one would reasonably want to go, before you have to start moving your head to see everything.

To simplify: if you take the screen size and multiply by 1.2, you will get the same result as above. What is considered 'ideal' is to have that ratio between 1.2 and 1.6 based on preference.

So KEW, that would mean a 65" TV = 78"-104" viewing distance to allow that screen to fill your view.
Thanks!
So he may have meant 1.5 times diagonal screen size (not screen height)!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Well, I sit 13.5' (162") from my 58" diagonal screen and math tells me I need a bigger tv!

58 × 1.2 = 69.6" (5.8')
58 x 1.6 = 92.8" (7.3')

I'm ~twice as far from the monitor as I'm supposed to be! Even 80" is too small. Man... a projector, I don't think, would work in my room either. It gets pretty bright, especially in the evening. Plus I'm not sure I'd want one anyway.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Well, I sit 13.5' (162") from my 58" diagonal screen and math tells me I need a bigger tv!

58 × 1.2 = 69.6" (5.8')
58 x 1.6 = 92.8" (7.3')

I'm ~twice as far from the monitor as I'm supposed to be! Even 80" is too small. Man... a projector, I don't think, would work in my room either. It gets pretty bright, especially in the evening. Plus I'm not sure I'd want one anyway.
I've been enjoying an Epson 2045 for about 6 months (I think I'm at 370 hrs, haven't had cable in a decade) now and love it. But it also has very specific requirements that my lifestyle are perfect for, maybe yours too.

You can order very effective black out curtains in a variety of colors from amazon. And in most circumstances, 2000 lumens is enough to give you a clear picture even with moderate ambient light - just can't be direct sunlight!

I also painted the screen on the wall and used a flat white around it so you almost don't even notice it, just looks like big speakers and no TV. (Priorities!)

Otherwise projection just needs some warm up time, there's a shutter to close when you're done, and if table mounted, occasionally some re-focusing. Not a lot to ask for a 100" screen! And it was an easy sell when I found this one on sale. Have been wanting a bigger screen (42" plasma) but couldn't get behind any of the new TV models except those that cost thousands. And 65" is still a big friggin tv! So I nabbed this Epson and am totally sold on projection. This 2045 is very entry level, but aside from minor artifacts/lag it provides a true theater experience that makes any minor complaints about picture quality moot when you're enjoying such a big screen. Maybe someday I'll splurge on a discontinued 4K JVC, but I am quite happy for the foreseeable future!

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
I'm about 14' from my 65"
I remember my first place of my own like 12 yrs ago, bought a fancy new 32" 720p flat screen, sat about 15-20' away and never thought less of it. Had my ML montages about 7' apart.
Just bought svs ultra bookshelf, they will have to be about 12' apart with a listening distance of about 12'
First world problems for sure.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
55" at about 9 feet. 4k is nice, but HDR is where it's at!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis