Tales From the Rabbit Hole

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Where exactly do you live? Heavy traffic area?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
I live in Mesa Arizona, drove to Phoenix to pick up my speakers. Bit of a drive but not too bad. It's almost 4 here right now though, just starting into some rush hour traffic.

In other news...

20170622_154137-2124x1195.jpg

Woot! Heading home right now!

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Big speakers or tiny truck? :)

I kid...you gonna be up late tonight...:D

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Ah Arizona, a lot of traffic in Phoenix huh. Any way you got it. Time for the fun to begin.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Being a former logistics person, even one who owned a local delivery service, it's always interesting to see who wants to pay for what, especially for a pallet delivery at a residential address (takes a liftgate equipped truck). Certain planes can't use the airports in that inhumane heat....

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Being a former logistics person, even one who owned a local delivery service, it's always interesting to see who wants to pay for what, especially for a pallet delivery at a residential address (takes a liftgate equipped truck). Certain planes can't use the airports in that inhumane heat....
Yesterday was ridiculous.
36097-960x540.jpeg

Took that at a light when I picked up the tv stand yesterday. 120°. Phew.

Unboxing pics!
20170622_164528-1305x734.jpg

Big boxes (and a small truck @panteragstk :p). I'm hoping they aren't too big right about now...

20170622_164924-1305x734.jpg

Phew! I figured it was a lot of packing material. Hearts pounding a little now...

20170622_180230-1305x734.jpg

Ohhh yeah! Man, they sure do look nice sitting there. Not a lot of room to set the bookshelfs next to them for some A/B comparisons @KEW, but I might try to wiggle them in there tomorrow. I just wanna listen tonight.

I do know the room curve for the towers is significantly different. Before I ran Audyssey I had some issues with boomy bass, even after inserting the provided plug for the port. Bad enough that I was worried that I might have made a mistake. Audyssey however, worked its magic and it's all good now. In fact, it's sounding awesome right now. I left the ports open when I took the room measurements.

This time there is a more noticeable difference than what I heard (or thought I did) with the amp. IMO, My midrange and mid bass definitely have more presence now. Fatter and fuller. I'm very happy right out of the gates.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
They dig pretty deep by themselves, but for a song like this they still need a little help. They did not render my subs useless at all. I may play around with a lower crossover tho. Audyssey did tell me they were both out of phase. I've read that's fairly common so I double checked everything and ignored it.

If they're out of phase it's from the factory. Doesn't sound odd or anything at all.

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord

That is a serious no-nonsense looking setup!
Between the speakers and electronics (and nothing else), it just radiates "not messing around"!

Curious what the optical effect is that makes the sub drivers look like they have a section cut out of each...

Also, lookin at the side panels of the right tower, are the panels parallel? It looks like I can see both sides (at least the woofer grills) at the same time!

You might can stand up the subs and put UBS on them, but you also need to move one sub to the outside so the UBS and the UTwr both have the same distance between them for comparison.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Lookin soooooo goood!
Tv is a little small though. Lmao!!!!!!

P

Puglover

Audioholic Intern
View attachment 21421

Unboxing pics!
View attachment 21422

Big boxes (and a small truck @panteragstk :p). I'm hoping they aren't too big right about now...

View attachment 21423

Phew! I figured it was a lot of packing material. Hearts pounding a little now...

View attachment 21426

Ohhh yeah! Man, they sure do look nice sitting there. Not a lot of room to set the bookshelfs next to them for some A/B comparisons @KEW, but I might try to wiggle them in there tomorrow. I just wanna listen tonight.

I do know the room curve for the towers is significantly different. Before I ran Audyssey I had some issues with boomy bass, even after inserting the provided plug for the port. Bad enough that I was worried that I might have made a mistake. Audyssey however, worked its magic and it's all good now. In fact, it's sounding awesome right now. I left the ports open when I took the room measurements.

This time there is a more noticeable difference than what I heard (or thought I did) with the amp. IMO, My midrange and mid bass definitely have more presence now. Fatter and fuller. I'm very happy right out of the gates.
Are you noticing changes at lower volume or higher volumes? Or both?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Congrats! Your system looks amazing and I'm sure you will enjoy the performance of the new equipment.

It's always exciting to get a new piece of gear. I realize that you have kept the child feeling in you and that's one way of keeping young for much longer than other people.

I am 76 and also feel that way for certain situations at times. Let's keep ourselves young as long as possible by keeping a positive attitude!

Cheers,

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

That is a serious no-nonsense looking setup!
Between the speakers and electronics (and nothing else), it just radiates "not messing around"!

Curious what the optical effect is that makes the sub drivers look like they have a section cut out of each...

Also, lookin at the side panels of the right tower, are the panels parallel? It looks like I can see both sides (at least the woofer grills) at the same time!

You might can stand up the subs and put UBS on them, but you also need to move one sub to the outside so the UBS and the UTwr both have the same distance between them for comparison.
Thank you! I most certainly am not messing around! I intend to keep it a good long time.

You know, I'm thinking about standing my subs back up anyway now that the stand is so much wider and a little taller. I'll get up early tomorrow morning and do a little experimenting.

I have no way to be sure, but I'm pretty convinced that my bass response improved a little when I laid them down. I'll be able to shut things down in the morning for a little bit to get my noise floor down. I might take some REW measurements also if I have time. It was 105 by 9 o'clock yesterday morning, and it's too hot right now. Starting to cool off tho.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Are you noticing changes at lower volume or higher volumes? Or both?
Both. It sounds fuller at lower volumes too. I'm not "completely blown away" by the difference, but it's definitely there. Sounds awesome after an Audyssey adjustment.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
They dig pretty deep by themselves, but for a song like this they still need a little help. They did not render my subs useless at all. I may play around with a lower crossover tho. Audyssey did tell me they were both out of phase. I've read that's fairly common so I double checked everything and ignored it.

If they're out of phase it's from the factory. Doesn't sound odd or anything at all.
Congrats buddy! I am sadly more excited that there is a new (to me) Chevelle album out I haven't heard yet. Been a fan since the first album that I cant believe was 18 years ago.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Congrats buddy! I am sadly more excited that there is a new (to me) Chevelle album out I haven't heard yet. Been a fan since the first album that I cant believe was 18 years ago.
Thanks man. There was definitely a bit of anxiety involved with the purchase too. I'm already getting over it tho.

You might not have heard this one yet either. La Gargola. I think it's probably their heaviest (and best) one. It's part of my daily rotation. Under The Knife and An Island are really good songs.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks man. There was definitely a bit of anxiety involved with the purchase too. I'm already getting over it tho.

You might not have heard this one yet either. La Gargola. I think it's probably their heaviest (and best) one. It's part of my daily rotation. Under The Knife and An Island are really good songs.
Yeah, have heard that one. Very good. Seen them live twice but wasn't impressed.

Since you seem really happy with your recent purchases I have to ask...what's next? :D

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Yeah you got it. That's living right there. We are all suckers. Bermuda is just perfect to me. It's just gorgeous, it's not super duper hot, and it's Winters are nice an warm. I could be a landscaper and be happy there. Ah let the dreaming begin, and never end. We go on a cruise every year but every few years we go to Bermuda on one because we love it so much.

Yeah, the rat race of metropolitan life. We are pretty blessed right now, decent income, good health, like I was saying...another 10 yrs of this and we could afford to go down there and be debt free. The slower pace, low stress, warm weather is strong lure for us. Medical care is iffy, so you need to have travel funds on hand to get back stateside for serious health issues, but yeah...I could take on some landscaping type work to support my golf and music hobbies.

I've been to half dz Isles in the carribean but have not been to Bermuda, heard about the pink sand. Hawaii is beautiful, but expensive and not as friendly as you might think.

Wife's brother moved to Kona...if you got your money already, you're good, but the natives don't much like us main landers coming over there taking their jobs. He left after 2 yrs.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah, the rat race of metropolitan life. We are pretty blessed right now, decent income, good health, like I was saying...another 10 yrs of this and we could afford to go down there and be debt free. The slower pace, low stress, warm weather is strong lure for us. Medical care is iffy, so you need to have travel funds on hand to get back stateside for serious health issues, but yeah...I could take on some landscaping type work to support my golf and music hobbies.

I've been to half dz Isles in the carribean but have not been to Bermuda, heard about the pink sand. Hawaii is beautiful, but expensive and not as friendly as you might think.

Wife's brother moved to Kona...if you got your money already, you're good, but the natives don't much like us main landers coming over there taking their jobs. He left after 2 yrs.
Wow interesting story. I didn't know and never heard Hawaii wasn't so friendly. I didn't expect that.

2channel lover

Wow interesting story. I didn't know and never heard Hawaii wasn't so friendly. I didn't expect that.

I've never been to HI so I was really surprised to hear that as well.

He was in construction and he bought a few lots and built 3 or 4 homes to sell and got nothing but push back from the natives. The more populated islands may be different, he only lived on Kona, but says he'd never go back if he had to earn a living....he did say they're warm to tourist though.

2channel lover

View attachment 21421

Unboxing pics!
View attachment 21422

View attachment 21423

View attachment 21426

Killer...I knew you would get immediate return on the towers. Even when you go back to the BS w/VTF vs the towers w/ VTF, I think the mid bass from the towers will be cleaner, more pronounced than letting the VTFs handle it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis