Tales From the Rabbit Hole

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I agree. Like I said, I will not try to bias you even though you know my thoughts. I will say though, your UBS are a solid place to come from. I'm looking forward to what you think after spending some time with the towers. Fwiw, I do believe the amp will have had less impact.
My thoughts also. I figured if I was going to see a difference it would be greater with the speakers than the amplifier. They'll be dropping the pallet in my driveway sometime tomorrow.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
My thoughts also. I figured if I was going to see a difference it would be greater with the speakers than the amplifier. They'll be dropping the pallet in my driveway sometime tomorrow.
Boooom! T-minus........
Pretty exciting.

P

Puglover

Audioholic Intern
I can't wait to hear what you think of the towers also. I think you will be blown away!!!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thoughts on this unit? I was thinking my center channel on one of my stands in the middle and two of those on either side for the equipment (under the tv). I don't know if those little things will hold a 93 pound amplifier though...

*Edit: I just found the weight limits for each shelf on the page. That will not work.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Thoughts on this unit? I was thinking my center channel on one of my stands in the middle and two of those on either side for the equipment (under the tv). I don't know if those little things will hold a 93 pound amplifier though...

*Edit: I just found the weight limits for each shelf on the page. That will not work.
Not sure if this will work, or if it's your taste, but I picked up two of these...the top shelf can handle 100lbs.

I've got my 3 monoblocks on one lower shelf...roughly 80lbs no problem...Sanus makes decent racks/stands.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004U8A0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Not sure if this will work, or if it's your taste, but I picked up two of these...the top shelf can handle 100lbs.

I've got my 3 monoblocks on one lower shelf...roughly 80lbs no problem...Sanus makes decent racks/stands.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004U8A0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I was considering 2 of something like that. This stand would work also I think. When my wife gets home I'm gonna hit walmart and best buy, see what they have.

2channel lover

I was coming from a fairly cheap big box AVR to monoblocks, so even though it wasn't drastic I could hear a difference. In your case coming from a 6011, I didn't think the difference would be as evident.

But, I'm guessing your AVR is running much cooler without the fans with the monolith carrying the heavy load.

I know about the BS vs floorstander debate...I have my personal experience with the B&Ws when I was demoing the new diamonds earlier this year...now we'll get to hear your experience.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord

Looks like this would do a fine job of supporting the Monolith...as long as you put it on the bottom shelf!!!:p

Actually the 12-3/8" depth of the bottom shelf (as well as the others) seems problematic for most AV gear!

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I would switch the Marantz to ECO mode at this point. It will have no effect on channels played through an external amp (as in any time you play stereo music) and I do not believe you would ever hear any issues with the HT surrounds.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
20170621_193632-1305x734.jpg

Got a new stand. it's rated to handle 135 lbs. Though I think that's the top shelf... I cut a dow rod to length this morning to put under the middle of the middle shelf in the front for some more support. My main concern now will be heat. I have a fan on the 6011 and yesterday I listen to quite a bit of music. The Monolith got warm, but it never really got hot. I think I might be okay right there. If I'm not I guess another fan will be in my near future for purchasing. I think I'm going to be all right though. This stand looks a lot better than the old one did.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
View attachment 21416

Got a new stand. it's rated to handle 135 lbs. Though I think that's the top shelf... I cut a dow rod to length this morning to put under the middle of the middle shelf in the front for some more support. My main concern now will be heat. I have a fan on the 6011 and yesterday I listen to quite a bit of music. The Monolith got warm, but it never really got hot. I think I might be okay right there. If I'm not I guess another fan will be in my near future for purchasing. I think I'm going to be all right though. This stand looks a lot better than the old one did.
I think it has enough breathing room that it'll be ok. If your stand starts to warp, I was wrong.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
My speakers are showing up sometime today. I really wish they'd give a time.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
My speakers are showing up sometime today. I really wish they'd give a time.
I love home theater delivery day and especially speaker delivery day. So much fun and excitement. The next thing that shows up at my door is the Outlaw Model 976 processor but not for 4 or 5 months. Can't wait still though already.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

2channel lover

I love home theater delivery day and especially speaker delivery day. So much fun and excitement. The next thing that shows up at my door is the Outlaw Model 976 processor but not for 4 or 5 months. Can't wait still though already.

I bought the Outlaw monoblocks back in DEC and inquired about an Atmos ready pre pro or an update to the 975 (the 976 looks great btw). They said we're going to have both by summer...I went ahead a bought the Marantz AV7702mkii on close out, but I've still been keeping an eye out out of curiosity.

FWIW...did you get that emailed private sale event from Outlaw? They promised it would be worthwhile...but I'm complete pending the speakers, so I didn't want to be tempted to buy ANYTHING in the hardware arena.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I just checked out the av7702mkii. Wow. You're not lacking for much of anything with that unit. It looks gorgeous too.

2channel lover

I just checked out the av7702mkii. Wow. You're not lacking for much of anything with that unit. It looks gorgeous too.

Thanks. They always leave something for the next gen unit...this one doesn't have the Audyssey editor app IIRC or HEOS (both on the 7703) but more than enough for me. I feel like I got a great deal.

I thought I told you that story...the 7703 was out already. Outlaw was pushing out their remaining mkii inventory at $1300...I saw I was going to stay off the computer while on vacation the day I got backI tried to order and they were out. Nobody was price matching that. One authorized dealer online was at $1500... everywhere else was $1800+. I went to a local brick and mortar and they had two in the box $1800...and the 7703 for $2200...I said I was ready to take it right now if they would match the price I showed them online....they matched the $1500 out the door and I was out the door with it.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I bought the Outlaw monoblocks back in DEC and inquired about an Atmos ready pre pro or an update to the 975 (the 976 looks great btw). They said we're going to have both by summer...I went ahead a bought the Marantz AV7702mkii on close out, but I've still been keeping an eye out out of curiosity.

FWIW...did you get that emailed private sale event from Outlaw? They promised it would be worthwhile...but I'm complete pending the speakers, so I didn't want to be tempted to buy ANYTHING in the hardware arena.
Yeah I keep up on Outlaw audio a bit now that I'm hot on the trail of the Model 976 and after it gets it released they are gonna turn all their efforts into an Atmos/DTS-X version and that's why I love companies like Outlaw. I have no need for, no desire for Atmos/DTS-X and really don't want to pay for it. They have the foresight to build 2 processors, one without it. They got my business for being cool and smart with the products they design and release.

2channel lover

Yeah I keep up on Outlaw audio a bit now that I'm hot on the trail of the Model 976 and after it gets it released they are gonna turn all their efforts into an Atmos/DTS-X version and that's why I love companies like Outlaw. I have no need for, no desire for Atmos/DTS-X and really don't want to pay for it. They have the foresight to build 2 processors, one without it. They got my business for being cool and smart with the products they design and release.

I barely even watch movies Het! I was seriously thinking about the 975 for a while. I'm very impressed with what I've seen on the 976.

But, the wife does enjoy movies and I said I would make a better effort to do HT this time...I went to a couple of local places here and demoed atmos...I get it.

The bigger reason was I have easy attic access for Atmos speakers in my HT space so I bought an AV that could process it. If I had to bust my a-- to do it...I wouldn't be doing it.

I think I saw somewhere that you're in Jersey...we moved from South Brunswick to ATL 20 yrs ago. Wife and I both worked in the city...she hated it...right after the '95 nor'easter we were out of there or I would have been a bachelor again.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I barely even watch movies Het! I was seriously thinking about the 975 for a while. I'm very impressed with what I've seen on the 976.

But, the wife does enjoy movies and I said I would make a better effort to do HT this time...I went to a couple of local places here and demoed atmos...I get it.

The bigger reason was I have easy attic access for Atmos speakers in my HT space so I bought an AV that could process it. If I had to bust my a-- to do it...I wouldn't be doing it.

I think I saw somewhere that you're in Jersey...we moved from South Brunswick to ATL 20 yrs ago. Wife and I both worked in the city...she hated it...right after the '95 nor'easter we were out of there or I would have been a bachelor again.
Cool, I'm not downing Atmos/DTS-X, just not for me, too much confusion and a pain. I saw a movie the other day with Atmos and it was simply stunning. The million dollar theater sound didn't hurt with that though.
Yeah I'm the Hefield from Joisey with a budget for my home theater. If I was the West coast version I'd have no budget! I love probably 15 minutes from South Brunswick. I'm one of the crazy ones that loves NJ.

2channel lover

Cool, I'm not downing Atmos/DTS-X, just not for me, too much confusion and a pain. I saw a movie the other day with Atmos and it was simply stunning. The million dollar theater sound didn't hurt with that though.
Yeah I'm the Hefield from Joisey with a budget for my home theater. If I was the West coast version I'd have no budget! I love probably 15 minutes from South Brunswick. I'm one of the crazy ones that loves NJ.

Atmos/7.1/5.1...none of that REALLY matters to me, but like I said, for her I wanted to make the effort...so I'm making the effort. I've had this pre pro since DEC have have yet to listen to anything but 2 channel.

I hear ya. West is worst than Northeast, and northeast is worse than south when it comes to cost of living...lol

We still have friends in E. Brunswick and some up in Bergen County...Upper Montclair area.

I wouldn't call you crazy...lotta great parts to NJ...my wife is from a warm weather climate had never seen snow until we moved up there...we met/married in FL and I got a promotion to NYC. We both liked the city a lot, and I actually lived in Battery Pk City for about 6 mos until they kicked me out of the corp apartment...out of all the places we looked other 4 boros, LI, Conn, RedBank, Hoboken...central Jersey was the choice, we were 10 mins from Princeton campus. 1st 5 or 6 yrs, we got snow, but nothing major...then in '93 we got hit with a big one, then another one and coupled with the high cost of homes, she had enough.

I have to admit...I miss the food, but other than that it would be very difficult to get us back up there...the heat and humidity here sucks (not as bad a FL), but there's only one San Diego right?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis