Which of these subwoofers should i get?

O

OnlyMe123

Audiophyte
Following on from my 'Help with Onkyo sub' thread from a few days ago, I've been looking into getting a replacement sub and I've narrowed it down to these:

Wharfedale Diamond SW150
KEF KUBE-1
ELTAX Atomic

Price and availability are the main factors - I'm having to buy second-hand due to low funds - but obviously I want it to sound good too. Unless anyone points out something horrendous about it, my current thinking is it'll be the Wharfedale, but I thought I'd see if anyone has anything to say about my options first.
Thanks in advance.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
It's hard to get excited about any of these subs, but I would go for the wharefedales from that bunch.

O

OnlyMe123

Audiophyte
Well, I did say I was on a budget. There's no need to be dismissive.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Well, I did say I was on a budget. There's no need to be dismissive.
You also didn't say what that budget is. There could be better options for you within your price range. Knowing your room size and current equipment so we know what you're working with would be helpful too.

I don't think shady was being dismissive. You came to a hifi forum and asked for an opinion.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
From that list I'm guessing you're not in the US either. Location makes a difference in sub choice/advice, too...and Shadyj is right, it would be hard to get excited about any of those subs, low budget is low budget but won't make the sub any more exciting :)

O

OnlyMe123

Audiophyte
Well, Pogre, you're right, I did ask for an opinion, but I also stated what my current options are. I know they aren't top of the range but it's what I can get right now. I was just hoping that someone might have some helpful advice about which would be the best of those options. Whether ShadyJ meant to be dismissive or not, that's how it came across to me. Elitist, even. Would it really have been so hard to just say the best of the bunch is the Wharfedale -without having to insinuate that my money stack doesn't quite measure up?

Lovinthehd - you're right, I'm not in the US. I asked here because I've been reading articles here for a number of years and have always found them helpful and informative. I've learned a great many things from simply wandering around the site - and for that I'm very grateful.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Well, Pogre, you're right, I did ask for an opinion, but I also stated what my current options are. I know they aren't top of the range but it's what I can get right now. I was just hoping that someone might have some helpful advice about which would be the best of those options. Whether ShadyJ meant to be dismissive or not, that's how it came across to me. Elitist, even. Would it really have been so hard to just say the best of the bunch is the Wharfedale -without having to insinuate that my money stack doesn't quite measure up?

Lovinthehd - you're right, I'm not in the US. I asked here because I've been reading articles here for a number of years and have always found them helpful and informative. I've learned a great many things from simply wandering around the site - and for that I'm very grateful.
Nobody cares about your money stack. What you can get here is advice on how to best spend that stack (whether small or large). No hidden barbs or elitist attitude.

I'm not sure about your options where your'e located (you didn't say), but there are some very good budget choices that can be better than what you're looking at now. You might get better suggestions with just a little more info...

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord

It seems to ME, that either you're a very sensitive person or english is not your native language.
Shady'd response is accurate on both fronts: SW-150 is LIKELY to better sub out of your (in my view) very random selection, simply due to largest driver.
He's also correct saying that thou it will likely be an upgrade from Onkyo sub, it may or may not be sufficiently sized for your space.

The thing is sometimes is best to have no sub at all, than to "getting by" with inferior sub.

One last thing, we are all human beings, most of us doing it as a hobby while getting nothing back for our time (expect thanks, sometime) and expertise (and trust me - it take very significant time and lots of reading to get to level of knowledge of people like ShadyJ and he's not even most knowledgeable member (me neither).
With that said, you come here, looking to get expert for nothing, you should expect occasional annoyance for clearly inferior products. We are just humans.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
It's hard to get excited about any of these subs, but I would go for the wharefedales from that bunch.
Not intending to be dismissive, I just implied that you might want to keep your expectations in check for these subs. They will not get tremendously loud, and they will not play very deep. If you are just looking for some bass to shore up the low end of some bookshelf speakers for music like jazz or rock, they might be just fine. Just don't expect THX imax sound or chest-pounding dubstep from these subs. That is not their application.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Unfortunately, I doubt any of us has much experience with those subs.
Most of the revered subs here are made by companies that specialize in building subwoofers.
I think many of the subs on your side of the pond are more compact designed for music, but not providing the deep frequencies of the larger subs commonly available in the states.
Wharfedale and KEF both do a good job with speakers, so I'm sure they put some competence in their subs before going to market with them. I think you can readily find a good clean sub for music.
I have heard the Onkyo sub, and it can be a fun sub for HT in that it does resonate out a lot of low frequency energy; however, look for your new sub to be comparatively subtle, providing even, balanced sound across the low frequency spectrum!

I know nothing about ELTAX.

Good luck!

Darenwh

Darenwh

Audioholic
If your budget is low then check the local used market. Sometimes you can get really nice equipment on a budget if you just watch for somebody upgrading their equipment. Not knowing your local market I cannot tell what you will find but it's worth a look.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis