Beginner Home Theater

M

Masher59

Junior Audioholic
Ok just like it says I'm brand new to this so after lurking a bit I'm going to jump in. I just picked up a 65" Sony XBR -65X900E. I was going to get the 75" but decided to save that 2 grand to get the audio up to speed. Yes I have caviar tastes but a sardine budget so lets get down to it. I'm looking at the bare minimum first so Receiver, center channel, left and right floor speakers, surround and one subwoofer. Here's what I'm leaning toward at this point but I'm looking for all recommendations at similar price points if I'm off base. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Receiver: $1,300 Range
Marantz 7010. I know the 7011 is out but at 2,200 vs 1,250 and with from what I see not losing a whole lot.
Cambridge Audio CXR120
Anthem MRX520 Yea it's only 5.1 but the 720 goes to 2,500 and the 1120 to 3,500 lol.

Floor speakers trying to stay under $1,200 for the pair so pretty limited.
Klipsch RP-280F around 500 each right now and to me sound really good. Like the RF-7II but it blows the budget bad lol.
Fluance Signature Series 700 for a PAIR but I haven't heard them so up in the air.
Elac Debut F6 Haven't heard these either but around 380 each.
Bowers and Wilkins 804 D3 Sorry that's just a bad joke at 13k each but I can dream.

Center Channel $650 range
Klipsch RP-450C Klipsch is leading the way with the speakers I know.

Surround: $800 range
Klipsch RP-250S or 240S

Subwoofer: $1,000 range
HSU Research VTF-15H MK2 I plan on having 2 subs later but this to start and the big SVS is a bit pricey.

Yes I'm Klipsch heavy because it's what I've heard the most and I do like the sound. I tossed in price points for other recommendations from the experienced.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The Fluance Signature towers are very good, but the Fluance center speaker looks iffy to me. You don't want to mix up the front stage speakers too much. By the way, you can try the Flaunce speakers and send them back within 30 days if you do not want to keep them. Fluance will give you a full refund and pay for shipping.

If you are not going to play the system super loud, there is no reason to get tower speakers for the front stage, since the subwoofer is going to take the bass range. You might think about some good bookshelf speakers. Some bookshelf speakers that would fit your budget that look good: Ascend Acoustics CMT340s, Hsu CCB-8s, SVS Ultra bookshelf speakers. Remember to get the corresponding center speaker with that set. Don't mix these speakers with say a Klipsch center. Your receiver and subwoofer are good choices.

By the way, you can do better for dream speakers than the B&W 804 D3s. Might as well just dream about the 800s.

M

Masher59

Junior Audioholic
Ok just checked those out in 5.0 configurations and Ascend has the best price point with Hsu next then SVS being the most expensive. Since I'm going with a HSU sub it's pretty easy to roll the dice on the ccb-8 package for 1700. So is SVS that much better considering just the front stage will be 1700 and another 1200 for the surrounds?

With Fluance it might be interesting to try 3 towers across the front using 1 as the center channel.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
How will you do a Fluance Signature as a center with a TV? I could see that happening with an acoustically transparent projection screen, but not a TV. That is a tall speaker. Obviously you would have to contact Fluance to arrange the separate purchase of a single speaker. If you could somehow swing three Signature towers for a front stage setup, that would be pretty good front stage.

As for the Hsu speakers, I think CCB-8s would make for a great front stage but overkill for surrounds. If you went with Hsu, I would consider going with the HB-1s for surrounds, they are very capable speakers themselves, and would be easier to mount. Although it certainly doesn't hurt to have CCB-8s for surround speakers. By the way, the Hsu package you would want more to be looking at is the Hybrid 15h CCB-8 package, not just the speaker package, you get more of a discount. If I were looking at Hsu, I would go for three CCB-s for the front stage, four HB-1s for surrounds, and two VTF15h subs, and ask Hsu what kind of discount they can give you for a package like that. Get it all done at once for maximum discount.

As for SVS, I don't know if that are any better than the Hsu, Ascend, or Fluance speakers. I certainly would not presume that their higher price means they are better, although I am sure they are competent speakers. But these are all very competent speakers. I am sure a significant portion of the cost is for the piano black finish. They do look quite nice. For SVS, if it is possible, I would swing for an Ultra bookshelf for the center rather than the Ultra center. That would reduce cost but probably not sacrifice any performance.

May I ask what kind of room will this equipment be going in? A dedicated media room like a home theater room? How large is the room and what are the dimensions?

M

Masher59

Junior Audioholic
Not going in a dedicated media room yet but my next home will have one for sure but It's going in my living room. Width 18' Depth 14' Height 12'. My monitor is above the fireplace that's never used here in south Louisiana so that's why I wouldn't mind putting a tower right in front of it flanked on both sides by right and left channels. It was just an idea I got after seeing other people do it or heck do 4 across the front so I don't have to buy a single.

I am liking your idea on the HSU just for it's simplicity and ease since I'm just starting up and don't have a whole lot of knowledge. The fireplace extends out 4ft and I could attach shelves to both sides for left and right and hang the center under the mantle or put it on a pedestal. Subs on both sides of it in on the floor.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
In that sort of setup, one thing you could also do with the Hsu speakers and sub is use the subs as speaker stands for the speakers. That saves you the trouble of having to mount anything on a fireplace, which is always a pain. The VTF15h is tall enough that it could serve as a speaker stand. The CCB-8s do not absolutely need to be placed with tweeters at ear height like so many conventional designs do. In that sort of speaker placement you will want to place the speakers on the subs so that their front baffle is close to the front baffle of the subwoofer, in other words you don't want the speakers recessed too far behind the front baffle of the subwoofer.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
The Fluance Signature towers are very good, but the Fluance center speaker looks iffy to me. You don't want to mix up the front stage speakers too much. By the way, you can try the Flaunce speakers and send them back within 30 days if you do not want to keep them. Fluance will give you a full refund and pay for shipping.

If you are not going to play the system super loud, there is no reason to get tower speakers for the front stage, since the subwoofer is going to take the bass range. You might think about some good bookshelf speakers. Some bookshelf speakers that would fit your budget that look good: Ascend Acoustics CMT340s, Hsu CCB-8s, SVS Ultra bookshelf speakers. Remember to get the corresponding center speaker with that set. Don't mix these speakers with say a Klipsch center. Your receiver and subwoofer are good choices.

By the way, you can do better for dream speakers than the B&W 804 D3s. Might as well just dream about the 800s.
Just chiming in on the B&Ws...I guess we all have different dream level, but within the B&W line...the 802D3 is my dream speaker.

2channel lover

Love the Sony...I've got the earlier model in 65" the one with the light bleed problems...at $1395 delivered...I'm good. Also the x850 in 55"...both are great TVs.

Generally speaking I think you're spending a bit more than I would on the AVR and less than I would on the mains.

AVR...I like your Marantz option...I certainly wouldn't look any higher. As mentioned I probably would steer lower. You can find a 6011 refurbished certified (new warranty) for $1k, or maybe even a Denon with preouts in the 600-700 range to get you all of the latest surround processing with 24 bit DAC chips. You can always bump up the power later with a 5 or 7 channel beast power amp.

Mains...again I would put more resources here. Shady's HSU BS suggestion is a very good one from what I've read.

Floorstanders. I'm not a big horn tweeter fan, but I know many people that are. Klipsch has been around a long time they make great speakers and have a loyal following. You mentioned you did like the sound so I wouldn't try to steer you away from them.

Since you're looking at OEM speakers, I would suggest listening to a couple that you might be able to demo if you have not already heard them...one is the Martin Logan Motion 40...$2k. This is a well rounded speaker that has very good natural sounding high end and does everything else well. It's not a beast on the bottom end, but I spent an hour listening to them in 2.0 and I didn't feel like they were lacking much. The only reason I didn't buy these...you mentioned B&W, I have a pair of 804m...the motion 40s seemed like a lateral move.

The other OEM speaker in that price range that I liked a lot...Golden Ear Triton 5. They go lower, similar tweeter sound. Also a well rounded speaker.

If either of these drive enough interest to probe further there are center channels that are in the range you listed.

Surrounds...this is where you could save a nice chunk. If you're going to be heavy into multi-channel music...having the surrounds brand matched is not a bad thing for timbre matching....I got a pair of RBH Rb5i speakers for under $250. They sound great, I'm confident they will serve well as surrounds.

Sub...I just bought two VTF3mk5 subs...idk what size your room is...mine is roughly 2800 cu ft open to some adjoining areas...without have run any kind of room EQ yet...I'm very pleased with the performance.

Point is...if your long term plan is to have to two...I would steer towards the smaller 15" subs and save a little money at the same time.

M

Masher59

Junior Audioholic
I think I can find the Motion 40 close to go listen to and the 50XT center. Going this route I would probably stick with just a 5.1 for a bit and wait on the second mk2. What would be the optimal surrounds for this setup 2channel? With the 7010 it's only 250 more so does it not have the latest surround processing and the other stuff you listed. Sorry that went over my head.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
They do still have the SR6011 at AC4L for 899 with a 3 year warranty. That's what I got. Awesome receiver.

2channel lover

I think I can find the Motion 40 close to go listen to and the 50XT center. Going this route I would probably stick with just a 5.1 for a bit and wait on the second mk2. What would be the optimal surrounds for this setup 2channel? With the 7010 it's only 250 more so does it not have the latest surround processing and the other stuff you listed. Sorry that went over my head.
Yeah Magnolia in BB should have the 40s on the floor and probably the cc too. At the end of the day you might like the Klipsch better, but at least you can say you've heard them.

Surrounds...after a long search, I recently ordered a pair of Salksound speakers (Left,Ctr,Rt) . I inquired about his surrounds, the owner, Jim Salk said I'll be happy to sell you a pair, but I think you can save some money and buy lessor speakers for surrounds.

Now, that said, I've already bought some multi-channel SACDs. My Salks won't be in for some time but we'll see how it sounds with B&W (and Paradigm CC) across the front with the RBH surrounds. lol.

To be safe, these are moderately priced.

https://www.martinlogan.com/motionSeries/models/compact-speakers.php

AVR...yeah, for $250 I would get the 7010, but if it meant I had to skimp on the speakers, I'd get the lessor AVR.

M

Masher59

Junior Audioholic
Can't find prices on the goldenear I guess you have to go to the dealer. Only stuff I find online is used.

M

Masher59

Junior Audioholic
Going the bookshelf route what about the Revel M106? They like em for 800 each though.

Going the floorspeaker route a few more dollars for the Revel F206 at 1,449.00 but that's pushing it lol.

2channel lover

Can't find prices on the goldenear I guess you have to go to the dealer. Only stuff I find online is used.
GE sells only thru a dealer network IIRC, but the pricing is on GEs website...the Triton 5 is $2k I believe...I spent a fair amount of time there mostly listening to the 2...The 5 is a nice speaker for the money imo. I like the cosmetics of the ML better though.

2channel lover

Going the bookshelf route what about the Revel M106? They like em for 800 each though.

Going the floorspeaker route a few more dollars for the Revel F206 at 1,449.00 but that's pushing it lol.
I didn't hear the BS, but I did hear the F206/208...both are very good speakers. In fact I was tempted to buy the 208. The dealer online (with the price I liked) is not authorized and they have quite a few bad reviews posted so I decided not to do it.

I thought maybe you could find $800 in savings with your other pieces to comfortably get you into a $2,000 speaker, but if there is a Revel dealer near you...give the F206 a listen. These I like more than the 40s, but maybe not a $1,000 more.

M

Masher59

Junior Audioholic
Did you get a chance to hear the 60XT vs the 40s?

I see here also the B&W CM9 S2 is at this price point.

Last edited:

2channel lover

Did you get a chance to hear the 60XT vs the 40s?

I see here also the B&W CM9 S2 is at this price point.
Yes...something is not quite right in the crossover with the bigger box 60...mids are muddy compared to the 40 imo. Obviously they do go lower, but I was not impressed. If I were going to go to that level I'd get the smaller Revels...the F206 is a great speaker.

B&W...I have not heard the CM series. My thoughts as a B&W owner on the brand...back when I got my speakers (804M) in '97, the 800 series (802, 804, 805 specifically) was the cream of the line by a wide margin and comparable with the best speakers on the market in their respective price ranges.

I don't know if you saw my thread, total audio redo. I'll spare you all those details, but I demoed a lot of speakers prior to ordering the Salks. I demoed the 805,804, 803 (D3). The 803 has really turned the corner and imo is a world class speaker, but at $15k they didn't sound much better if at all compared to the F208 or the Monitor Audio Gold300. B&W has built a well respected name and imo they are reaping the benefits of it now.

You start wondering up into the $3k pricepoint, you can get some great speakers. I was willing to go off the OEM grid for the Salks. There is a pretty long lead time to get his works right now. I have a decent pair of speakers so I'm not pressed. The best thing to do is see what you can demo.

M

Masher59

Junior Audioholic
Might as well toss in the Ascend Sierra now also lol.

2channel lover

Oooooohhhh!

Trade? Cancellation? How much?

This is the speaker that garnered all of the awards...the Song Towers are a staple in the line.

I don't want to steer you to or away from anything, so I'll just say do some research, but do it quickly.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis