Blu-Ray Player for Atmos

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
(I think I already know the answer to this, just want to make sure I am not missing something obvious)

Hey all. I have a somewhat naive question...I recently finished setting up a 5.1.4 Atmos system. Of course now I want to watch movies with Atmos audio options. I have an older LG Blu-Ray player and it does pass an Atmos stream (watched Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them with Atmos).

However, it appears some movies only have the Atmos audio on 4K discs (i.e. The Amazing Spider Man 2 and Deadpool according to this link https://www.dolby.com/us/en/experience/dolby-atmos/bluray-and-streaming/us.pdf).

So I am thinking to get access to all the Atmos options I need to get a UHD Blu-ray player...correct?

I was thinking of the Sony UBP-X800 as I am still reeling a bit from my new X4300h and 4 ceiling speakers. I know the Oppo is out there, but it is almost twice as much.

I have a Sony VPLHW40ES (1080p) projector and Denon AVR-X4300h.

Thoughts?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Lots of non 4k movies have atmos and dts x. Atmos is not exclusive to 4k UHD movies.

AVS usually has lists for this sort of thing.

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
Yea, I kind of talked myself out of it after posting. I also thought about do I want to buy movies in general (I usually use Redbox).

The movies I do buy are the ones the kids watch over and over...

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Yea, I kind of talked myself out of it after posting. I also thought about do I want to buy movies in general (I usually use Redbox).

The movies I do buy are the ones the kids watch over and over...
The thing about redbox and other physical rental services is that a lot of movies for those have the atmos/true HD tracks removed because reasons.

T

Tankman

Audioholic
Check out Mad Max, Fury Road. The surround track is one of the best, you get a move that is visually stunning also.

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
I do know that about redbox and other rental options, but $2 vs $20-25...

I saw Mad Max Fury Road pre-atmos setup and liked it. Definitely worth another viewing.

I'm batch'ing it this weekend while the wife and kids go visit the in-laws, so I may rent The Great Wall, John Wick 2, and/or xXx : Return of Xander Cage . All are listed as Atmos on the Dolby site...will see if the Redbox versions are Atmos.

Ha...just looking at the list again, Minions is Atmos (which we own due to the kids)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis