BenQ W1070 hdmi issues

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
What size is best for a larger basement Rec room? 800-900 sq ft. 70" tv?
It depends on the viewing distance and the space available. I find for a 12 ft viewing distance a 65" screen is fine. I can't get a bigger one as it won't fit on the wall.

People say you can't have a screen too big. The bottom of the screen should be 30" above the floor.

As you can see, I like really good audio with my picture, or a picture with my really good audio.

S

snrdr15

Enthusiast
It depends on the viewing distance and the space available. I find for a 12 ft viewing distance a 65" screen is fine. I can't get a bigger one as it won't fit on the wall.

People say you can't have a screen too big. The bottom of the screen should be 30" above the floor.

As you can see, I like really good audio with my picture, or a picture with my really good audio.
I have a 110" Silver Ticket screen. Too big?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have a 110" Silver Ticket screen. Too big?

I don't know if its too big, but it is too high. Having the top of the screen almost at ceiling height would give me a pain in the neck literally. If the bottom of the screen is at around the correct height of 30", then yes, the screen is too big.

If I had a screen like that, I would want a lot more than a sound bar. The audio is at least 50% of the equation for movies and for music with video. Bad video like you get from a soundbar really limits the whole experience.

I guess for those who say a screen can never be too big, then I also contend that the audio can never be too good!

For movies good audio is a very important part of telling the story, at least the equal of the picture.

S

snrdr15

Enthusiast
I don't know if its too big, but it is too high. Having the top of the screen almost at ceiling height would give me a pain in the neck literally. If the bottom of the screen is at around the correct height of 30", then yes, the screen is too big.

If I had a screen like that, I would want a lot more than a sound bar. The audio is at least 50% of the equation for movies and for music with video. Bad video like you get from a soundbar really limits the whole experience.

I guess for those who say a screen can never be too big, then I also contend that the audio can never be too good!

For movies good audio is a very important part of telling the story, at least the equal of the picture.
I hear you. Believe it or not the way the sound bounces around this area you would be amazed at how well the Vizio SB3821-C6 sounds like compared to the Elac B6's which I just got rid of. Prior to that I even tried out Pioneer SP-SP52-LR's towers and a sub and it just sounded ok. Too warm and not punchy at all.

As far as the screen height it may look like that based on the pics, but when you sit down the picture height is very comfortable.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
BenQ projectors are all HDCP compliant. They are extremely well regarded as entry level models. They have better black levels, motion handling, and out of the box colors compared to other models in the same price class.

Their parent company (ownership) is Qisda which is one of the HDMI certified adopting companies. All their projectors are HDCP compliant. I'm unaware of any current manufacturers using HDMI which are not HDCP compliant. Just to be clear on this, the owner's manual for the W1070 says that the HDMI input is HDCP compliant. Moreso, thousands of owners haven't had issues. It's just not a bad product.

So, while you may have gotten some flunky on chat, the reality is that if you used a DIFFERENT HDMI cable and a short distance between the source and projector, then whatever issue occurs are not typical.

In the price range (sub $1,000), the BenQ models are typically considered the best on the market. But, there are options from others which utilize a 6x RGB/RGB color wheel.

Anyway, typical screen size is 10" to 12" of diagonal for each foot of viewing distance. So, 110" diagonal from 12' of viewing is typical, if a tiny bit small, but nothing wrong there. I've seen much larger from much closer, with a happy customer.

Is your screen high? Well, yeah, it may be a bit high, but it depends on whether or not you are using recliners constantly or not. Typical screen height should be setup with your eyes between the halfway point and bottom quarter point of the screen. So, a foot or so high at least.

Anyway, if you are really irked by what is going on and BenQ won't help you and it isn't under warranty for some reason, then that's a fluke. Most people have no issue with theirs and they've had incredibly high reliability.

S

snrdr15

Enthusiast
BenQ projectors are all HDCP compliant. They are extremely well regarded as entry level models. They have better black levels, motion handling, and out of the box colors compared to other models in the same price class.

Their parent company (ownership) is Qisda which is one of the HDMI certified adopting companies. All their projectors are HDCP compliant. I'm unaware of any current manufacturers using HDMI which are not HDCP compliant. Just to be clear on this, the owner's manual for the W1070 says that the HDMI input is HDCP compliant. Moreso, thousands of owners haven't had issues. It's just not a bad product.

So, while you may have gotten some flunky on chat, the reality is that if you used a DIFFERENT HDMI cable and a short distance between the source and projector, then whatever issue occurs are not typical.

In the price range (sub $1,000), the BenQ models are typically considered the best on the market. But, there are options from others which utilize a 6x RGB/RGB color wheel.

Anyway, typical screen size is 10" to 12" of diagonal for each foot of viewing distance. So, 110" diagonal from 12' of viewing is typical, if a tiny bit small, but nothing wrong there. I've seen much larger from much closer, with a happy customer.

Is your screen high? Well, yeah, it may be a bit high, but it depends on whether or not you are using recliners constantly or not. Typical screen height should be setup with your eyes between the halfway point and bottom quarter point of the screen. So, a foot or so high at least.

Anyway, if you are really irked by what is going on and BenQ won't help you and it isn't under warranty for some reason, then that's a fluke. Most people have no issue with theirs and they've had incredibly high reliability.
HDMI issues with BenQ is all over the Internet. It's just not with me.

As far as the screen height I could lower it a few inches. I didn't want it to be too low since I have the shelf underneath it so if I placed an AV on the top of the shelf one day it would block the screen.

I'm debating whether to go with the TH670 vs the HT2050.

S

snrdr15

Enthusiast

I did some measuring. The bottom of the screen frame is 29 inches from the floor. The ceiling is 8 feet. When we sit down our eyes are at about 32-34 inches from the floor. The distance from the top of the shelf to the bottom of the screen is 7 inches. So one day if I plan on adding an AV receiver wouldn't it be in the way of the screen if I drop the screen height down?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
HDMI issues with BenQ is all over the Internet. It's just not with me.
It's not that there are no issues. The W1070 has been the most popular home theater projector for a number of years. As such, any issues are pretty well established. The issue you are running into is rare, it's not non-existent, but it is rare. The vast majority of W1070 owners have no issue at all like this with their W1070. So, it does exist, but is rare. Not sure if you mentioned when you purchased this model, or how long you've had it in use, or much else. Also, not sure if this would continue to be an issue if you have a scaling A/V receiver which retains HDMI sync while the projector is connected to the sources.

The more common HDMI issue with the W1070 is that the HDMI ports are placed slightly recessed into the cabinet, and they lose connectivity from time to time, far more easily than most HDMI products. So, to fix this you need to shave about 1/8" (or less) of housing off the HDMI cable which plugs into the back of the projector and it makes a more reliable HDMI connection.

The second item is extremely common and can be quite irritating. I certainly know I have that issue, but I just push the HDMI cable in again whenever I lose connectivity and it works great. Since I know about it, I call it my fault at this point for not fixing it since it will only take 15 minutes or so to correct.

As far as the screen height I could lower it a few inches. I didn't want it to be too low since I have the shelf underneath it so if I placed an AV on the top of the shelf one day it would block the screen.
Up to you, but I would never put a shelf under my screen. Little blinky lights from components don't belong right under a screen. With a drop ceiling, I would rewire with all the components off to the side, preferably to the back of the room. There's no reason to have anything but a center channel up front and center in a home theater. Then you can lower the screen as much as you want.

Once again, up to you.

I'm debating whether to go with the TH670 vs the HT2050.
The HT2050 is certainly the more home theater oriented model.

It does look like your mount may be a bit lower than it should be and that the projector may be tilted upwards to hit the screen. Not sure if that's the case, but you are losing quality anytime you use keystone correction and I would recommend correcting that by lowering the screen or raising the projector.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Even the old ones were, but they had terrible HDMI boards and they had terrible quality control. The W5000 was horrendous. Looked great when it worked, but terribly built.

This is in direct contrast to the models that came out around the W1070. There have been almost no reports of consistent issues (beyond what I noted) on the W1070 and has been absolutely one of the best sellers out there for several years. HDMI boards have gotten better, and their better models like the W7000 and W7500 seemed to correct the issues that the W6000 and W5000 were having.

I swore off BenQ after bad issues with the W5000. My personal favorite right now, under $3,000, is the Sony HW40ES, which likely will carry on with the HW45ES model. LCoS is just a really good technology it seems and Sony is really in the game nicely with their products.

But, after years of being put off by BenQ quality, I have been following the W1070, W1075, and now the HT2050 very closely and while there are some reported issues, the vast majority seem to have no issues whatsoever. It certainly doesn't seem to be with lamp failures, which plagued some older models. Many people are reporting 4,000+ lamp hours, which is really nice.

I got a first month release of the W1070 after reading some reviews, and it's still going very strong.

Not that people don't have issues, but electronics do have issues and the more recent BenQ models seem more in line with the industry rather than having a much higher failure rate which they seemed to have in the past.

Still, if someone is concerned, there are extended warranties available.

S

snrdr15

Enthusiast
Even the old ones were, but they had terrible HDMI boards and they had terrible quality control. The W5000 was horrendous. Looked great when it worked, but terribly built.

This is in direct contrast to the models that came out around the W1070. There have been almost no reports of consistent issues (beyond what I noted) on the W1070 and has been absolutely one of the best sellers out there for several years. HDMI boards have gotten better, and their better models like the W7000 and W7500 seemed to correct the issues that the W6000 and W5000 were having.

I swore off BenQ after bad issues with the W5000. My personal favorite right now, under $3,000, is the Sony HW40ES, which likely will carry on with the HW45ES model. LCoS is just a really good technology it seems and Sony is really in the game nicely with their products.

But, after years of being put off by BenQ quality, I have been following the W1070, W1075, and now the HT2050 very closely and while there are some reported issues, the vast majority seem to have no issues whatsoever. It certainly doesn't seem to be with lamp failures, which plagued some older models. Many people are reporting 4,000+ lamp hours, which is really nice.

I got a first month release of the W1070 after reading some reviews, and it's still going very strong.

Not that people don't have issues, but electronics do have issues and the more recent BenQ models seem more in line with the industry rather than having a much higher failure rate which they seemed to have in the past.

Overall what projector would you recommend under $1,000 at he moment?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

I have two BenQ W6000. I love the bright picture. They have been 100% reliable. Only issue is HDMI handshake with my HTPC/Denon AVP-A1HDCI - I have to make sure the projector is turned off completely before I power up or power down by HTPC. Otherwise, my HTPC will just hang and Windows won't start up. :eek:

Other than that, I love the W6000.

Now with my other newer HTPC, the W6000 has no HDMI issues at all. So it varies with PCs and components.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Overall what projector would you recommend under $1,000 at he moment?
I would recommend the HT2050 from BenQ in a second. This is based entirely on the reliability that most have seen with the W1070. Yes, I understand there are some with issues, but BenQ has been responding with firmware updates to the W1070, and has fixed some of the physical issues in the HT2050. Quieter, glass lens, properly fitted HDMI connections.

I'm not sure there is anything better for less, and what is similar comes from companies which don't have the quality/service/improvement history that BenQ has.

The Epson 2040 model is also very good and Epson also has a great track record for great customer care. Perhaps the best in the business. But, the projector, while reliable, doesn't have the black levels and image quality of the HT2050.

None of these are inky blacks like a good flat panel can deliver. For that, you need to ante up for a JVC, which is three or four times the budget. You do get a pretty good boost at $2,000 from the Sony HW45ES or the Epson 5030.

S

snrdr15

Enthusiast
I would recommend the HT2050 from BenQ in a second. This is based entirely on the reliability that most have seen with the W1070. Yes, I understand there are some with issues, but BenQ has been responding with firmware updates to the W1070, and has fixed some of the physical issues in the HT2050. Quieter, glass lens, properly fitted HDMI connections.

I'm not sure there is anything better for less, and what is similar comes from companies which don't have the quality/service/improvement history that BenQ has.

The Epson 2040 model is also very good and Epson also has a great track record for great customer care. Perhaps the best in the business. But, the projector, while reliable, doesn't have the black levels and image quality of the HT2050.

None of these are inky blacks like a good flat panel can deliver. For that, you need to ante up for a JVC, which is three or four times the budget. You do get a pretty good boost at $2,000 from the Sony HW45ES or the Epson 5030.
I have the HT2050 and I'm baffled as to why it does what the W1070 did. It keeps searching for a source when I use my switcher. I'm wondering if I should give the Epson 2040 a shot. They also seem to have the cheaper bulbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

L

larry cardenas

Audiophyte
I use a 4 port HDMI switcher, DirecTV box and Chromecast on my 110" projector screen.

Monoprice has gone through everything as far as issues with their switcher and cables, but we found nothing wrong after many tests.

When I channel surf using the DirecTv box, the projector screen blanks out and reads "source searching" and then "input detected". This happens after every channel. Very annoying...

When I switch sources like from DirecTV to Chromecast the projector screen reads HDMI 1 and then automatically switches to HDMI 2. At that point I manually have to switch it back to HDMI 1.

Is this projector defective? BenQ claims they have never heard of such thing.
I use a 4 port HDMI switcher, DirecTV box and Chromecast on my 110" projector screen.

Monoprice has gone through everything as far as issues with their switcher and cables, but we found nothing wrong after many tests.

When I channel surf using the DirecTv box, the projector screen blanks out and reads "source searching" and then "input detected". This happens after every channel. Very annoying...

When I switch sources like from DirecTV to Chromecast the projector screen reads HDMI 1 and then automatically switches to HDMI 2. At that point I manually have to switch it back to HDMI 1.

Is this projector defective? BenQ claims they have never heard of such thing.

I have a newer BENQ HT2050 and am experiencing the same black screen searching for signal issue. Luckily i am still under warranty and have sent it back...here is my thing though; i also have an optoma projector, when i switch the benq out and replace it with the optoma, the optoma gives me 0 problems at all....this is very strange and just don't know how to explain it, i am hoping that someone can get to the bottom of this problem and provide a solution that makes sense. thank you

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis