Hilarious Mac Mini Stand

C

catinthefurnace

Audiophyte
This is a thing people I personally know have purchased. It costs $359.99. I find it quite hilarious, and simultaneously sad.

Cancels out resonance in the Mac Mini itself.

Unlike most anti-resonant products that merely decouple, the Atomic Audio Platform is tuned to the exact resonance frequency of the Mac Mini so that it cancels out internal resonances in addition to decoupling.Significantly improves performance:

• Reduced listener fatigue from better harmonic coherency
  • Greater definition with more organic tone, texture, and timbre
  • Increased articulation with more micro-detail and micro-dynamics • A deeper and wider soundstage with increased separation and air
  • Better musical flow with more natural leading edge and sustain
Engineered to the highest standards:

• Perfectly shaped to fit any 2010 and newer Mac Mini
  • Precision CNC machined from a 1” thick slab of clear Acrylic
  • The same anti-resonant polymer used in many high-end turntables
  • Engineered “pockets” that hold a precisely calibrated amount of lead • Decoupled from the surface with three adjustable spiked feet
Below is my attempt at reverse engineering the product...

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
This is a thing people I personally know have purchased. It costs $359.99. I find it quite hilarious, and simultaneously sad.

Below is my attempt at reverse engineering the product...
I am the proud owner of a Mac Mini as a music server and when I saw this product in your post I was jumping for joy. Finally, a product for me, the Mac Mini owner. Oh sure, there are plenty of dubious products for speakers, for cables, and even for amplifiers. Lots of snake oil love for those guys. What about the Mac Mini owner? Where's the love from the audacious prose writers? Where are the outrageous claims to support and improve my experience? Finally something for me. I shall revel in the possibilities and dream of the day I can own such a device. I shall start a savings piggy bank for it as soon as I finish saving for my elevated, solid maple, cable pyramid stands.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Too bad the Mini is currently so out of date and outrageously over-priced. If the price was 50% lower and the processors Kaby Lake I'd probably have two of them. The Mac team at Apple needs a housecleaning, IMO. The latest MacBooks are embarrassingly poor values with little noticeable innovation too.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Why the dislike? The Mac Mini uses Haswell CPUs. That's a three year-old processor. PCs have since upgraded from Haswell to Broadwell to Skylake to Kaby Lake. I'm a Mac fan too; I'm typing this on a Macbook Pro, but I don't understand why the biggest technology company on the planet can't figure out how to keep a product as simple as a Mini up to date. Or lower the price to $600 for an i7 version.

C

catinthefurnace

Audiophyte
Why the dislike? The Mac Mini uses Haswell CPUs. That's a three year-old processor. PCs have since upgraded from Haswell to Broadwell to Skylake to Kaby Lake. I'm a Mac fan too; I'm typing this on a Macbook Pro, but I don't understand why the biggest technology company on the planet can't figure out how to keep a product as simple as a Mini up to date. Or lower the price to $600 for an i7 version.
Disliked only because I disagree wholeheartedly with your last sentence, when you brought the current MacBooks into the equation. Also, a bit off topic.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
They don't have to be up to date. People will buy them anyway.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Disliked only because I disagree wholeheartedly with your last sentence, when you brought the current MacBooks into the equation. Also, a bit off topic.
catinthefurnace
I am still celebrating the idea someone dreamed up a dubious contraption for my Mac Mini. No amount of sidebar conversation will dim my joy. Irv is usually pretty positive with his responses. Keep finding those gems out there. Every great invention will have its naysayers. Maybe if you found a resonance device for Irv's Macbook he would be able to share in the joy I am experiencing.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
This is the CPU in lower end Mac Mini - $499 version:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-4260U+@+1.40GHz
This is it's super new modern equivalent:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-7260U+@+2.20GHz&id=2993

I see performance improvement (multithread) - 60%, but single threaded performance difference is only 30%

Is it noticeable? I'd say yes, but it may not be as huge as you'd expect of 3 years difference and several processor generations would be.

With that said, Apple couldn't bothered to update most of it's desktops. Most it's profits now come from iphones and ipads

Last edited:
Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Maybe if you found a resonance device for Irv's Macbook he would be able to share in the joy I am experiencing.
No, but perhaps drugs or alcohol would do it. Unfortunately, I don't use either one.

I only have one non-Apple accessory for my Macbook and iMacs: Kensington Expert Mouse Trackballs. I'm addicted to big balls. Haven't found a substitute.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
No, but perhaps drugs or alcohol would do it. Unfortunately, I don't use either one.

I only have one non-Apple accessory for my Macbook and iMacs: Kensington Expert Mouse Trackballs. I'm addicted to big balls. Haven't found a substitute.
Irv,
I too run my Macs and iMacs stock right from apple with almost the same single exception: the mouse. I understand your desire for big balls. I went the other direction : I went with the Razer Naga optical gaming mouse. I still have my Apple mouse and keyboard but as I'm typing this I realize I also am using my Razer Black Widow keyboard. When I was in to gaming (a WOW devotee) I couldn't resist. Now that I'm not gaming, I just haven't put the Apple stuff back. I love a mechanical keyboard. And a genuine, real delete key.

C

catinthefurnace

Audiophyte
Just in case anyone was curious, that is the real headquarters of Atomic Audio Labs! Since they only list a P.O. box on their website, I had to dig into their state's business registration records to find their actual headquarters location.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis