Infinity 1260w build

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Sadly I figured that would happen. I was really hoping you'd get yours.

On another note, I've got the wood for the side table in my garage. Now I just need the time to start cutting and putting this sucker together. I got some red oak so it should be a nice solid table. Once I put the current sub box and amp inside this thing will weigh close to 80 lbs or so.

Now to just get all the moving boxes out of the garage...
Will be watching to see what you come up with. Getting started is always the hardest part.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Will be watching to see what you come up with. Getting started is always the hardest part.
I'm thinking of getting one of these to rip the big 4x8 sheet of oak ply down to the smaller widths I need. I have a table saw, but it is very cumbersome to rip down a sheet that large and heavy by myself.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I'm thinking of getting one of these to rip the big 4x8 sheet of oak ply down to the smaller widths I need. I have a table saw, but it is very cumbersome to rip down a sheet that large and heavy by myself.
I would trust MrBoat better than myself, I'm interested to see what he would say.

But, to me, I don't seem to understand what that device would do that you can't do with a few clamps, a tape measure, and a board.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I would trust MrBoat better than myself, I'm interested to see what he would say.

But, to me, I don't seem to understand what that device would do that you can't do with a few clamps, a tape measure, and a board.
I'm lazy, it's cheap. ;)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I'm lazy, it's cheap. ;)
Well, I can't argue with bullet proof reasoning.;)

Yeah, I'm more along the lines of "I'm lazy, but I'm also cheap". It's always an internal struggle as to which trait will win :confused:

It's also tough to argue against a new tool purchase.

But, when I DIY, I'm usually looking to cut costs at every opportunity. That's a big point to why I DIY, and every dollar saved on this project is another $ that can go to the next project.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Well, I can't argue with bullet proof reasoning.;)

Yeah, I'm more along the lines of "I'm lazy, but I'm also cheap". It's always an internal struggle as to which trait will win :confused:

It's also tough to argue against a new tool purchase.

But, when I DIY, I'm usually looking to cut costs at every opportunity. That's a big point to why I DIY, and every dollar saved on this project is another $ that can go to the next project.
I agree with you, but I'm all about efficiency. If a ~$30 tool can make a job faster, then it is more than worth it. I've got so little time to dedicate to this stuff (hence the slow movement of progress of what should only take about 6 or so hours to complete) that any gain in efficiency can really help me finish quick.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I agree with you, but I'm all about efficiency. If a ~$30 tool can make a job faster, then it is more than worth it. I've got so little time to dedicate to this stuff (hence the slow movement of progress of what should only take about 6 or so hours to complete) that any gain in efficiency can really help me finish quick.
Yup, you know the game here, you either have plenty of time or plenty of $, but never both at the same time.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I use a straightedge and clamps but I don't often cut panels that need such precise edges and it does take a bit longer having to allow for the often weird fraction that the blade ends up being from the mark, again changing when you have to be on the inside or outside of it. Some of those jigs work well.

I own a nice tablesaw as well but I prefer to work outdoors because I don't like dealing with dust collection indoors. Plus, I just enjoy working outdoors. With a tablesaw, an outfeed table is a must when handling full panels solo. Otherwise, it is not enjoyable. Also, I was always taught not to have a helper when using a tablesaw. With an out-feed table though, it is a dream to use.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I use a straightedge and clamps but I don't often cut panels that need such precise edges and it does take a bit longer having to allow for the often weird fraction that the blade ends up being from the mark, again changing when you have to be on the inside or outside of it. Some of those jigs work well.

I own a nice tablesaw as well but I prefer to work outdoors because I don't like dealing with dust collection indoors. Plus, I just enjoy working outdoors. With a tablesaw, an outfeed table is a must when handling full panels solo. Otherwise, it is not enjoyable. Also, I was always taught not to have a helper when using a tablesaw. With an out-feed table though, it is a dream to use.
Sounds like I need an out-feed table. I have a roller that is the same height that is supposed to do the same thing, but I haven't tried it yet.

Sadly I don't have a helper most times so I have to use a track of some sort.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Sounds like I need an out-feed table. I have a roller that is the same height that is supposed to do the same thing, but I haven't tried it yet.

Sadly I don't have a helper most times so I have to use a track of some sort.
The roller is sort of haphazard. Even if you make a drop leaf outfeed table, you will use your table saw a lot more. Also, an infeed half table to help support the sheet at the beginning. makes it so much easier to handle large sheets alone.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
The roller is sort of haphazard. Even if you make a drop leaf outfeed table, you will use your table saw a lot more. Also, an infeed half table to help support the sheet at the beginning. makes it so much easier to handle large sheets alone.
Do a couple dry runs with the blade down to see how it's gonna be at the end of the run.
Yeah, based on what you guys are saying I'll just go ahead and build the table so I can use the saw for what I bought it for. I'll still grab the track jig since I don't have to materials for the table yet, but that's going on the list of things to build. List should be getting shorter, but that doesn't seem to be happening...

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, based on what you guys are saying I'll just go ahead and build the table so I can use the saw for what I bought it for. I'll still grab the track jig since I don't have to materials for the table yet, but that's going on the list of things to build. List should be getting shorter, but that doesn't seem to be happening...
The one we had was 6' x about 3 ft, had a formica top and we ended up using it for finish work and glue ups as well. Had drawers and a clamp rack and some bins for hardware. I ended up using it for my pretty much everything table. When I first started working at that shop, they didn't even know what it was and it was stuffed in the corner with a bunch of junk stacked on/in it.

Bigger the better for sheet work. Enough to support an 8' sheet clear of the blade at least. Or a smaller table with a drop leaf extension perhaps.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Even with a rip guide, you still have to set up a drop operation to catch the offcut on larger pieces. Which pretty much amounts to a table of some sort at least.

Also with a saw guide, you typically have to have a way to hold the panel as flat as possible, which may involve clamps, battens and wedges.

That rip cutter from Kreg is a pretty neat solution and certainly inexpensive enough. We used to set up something similar for soffits and other repetitive rip cuts before they had all of those premade adjustable solutions.

I've even seen panel rigs like the one they use at the box store on job sites in recent years. Talk about spoiled!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis