Will Atmos/DTS: X become as standard as 7.1?

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
You made a lot of good points here. As much as I love a really great surround mix just as much as the n next guy. Where I live now my living room isn't that big and it's space so to speak gives me a hard work around also plus it's a apartment. 7.1 7.2. 9.1 9.2 11.1 11.2 and now Dolby Atmos and DTS X added into the mix. In my set up of 5.1 about all I can do would be to add two height speakers above my L/R mains and one more Sub. But than I am sure they would run me out of here the other apartment dwellers that is. But I will say if and when I do move to a better place aka owe home I would do 7.2 or 9.2 I have heard those two set-ups and it blows 5.1 out the water. So umm Atmos yeah I believe that will be the new recording mix standard for blu ray. DVD comes mostly 5.1 at lease the regular ones I have you would be lucky to find one with TrueHD or Master HD.

Mike
Plus the other thing that is a pain is powering all these speakers. I do not trust any receiver to power 9 or 11 channels. I don't even trust today's receivers to power 7 channels to be honest. So now in my eyes you need separate amps, and then outlets and all that just to do 7 plus channels. It just ain't for me, I will say this at this time. Who knows what the future holds?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

T

Tankman

Audioholic
Plus the other thing that is a pain is powering all these speakers. I do not trust any receiver to power 9 or 11 channels. I don't even trust today's receivers to power 7 channels to be honest. So now in my eyes you need separate amps, and then outlets and all that just to do 7 plus channels. It just ain't for me, I will say this at this time. Who knows what the future holds?

I over looked that part of 7.1.7.2 and so on. How did I miss that? Your absolutely correct about AVR's at most they are only capable of outputing umm..lets just use a nice even watt number 80 watts on a 7.1 set up and that's with a flagship AVR. As much as I am already down the rabbit hole with my modest setup I have now,
So yeah more Amps would surely have to come into play when moving up the food chain. You are absolutely right, how can we trust avr's power ratings in a 5.1 or 7.1 much less anything higher than that. My 0nkyo TX-NR656 is rated at 100 X 2 into 8 ohms and I read a pro review where "they said" it tested out at 75 watts into a 7.1. But do I really believe that? Hell No! lolo..at myself for forgetting about the amp side. So umm..yep more amps, more cables, interconnect cables, speaker wire or speaker cables more speakers have to change out the audio rack to handle the add-on amps. Umm..yeah just upgrade my AVR to a flagship upgrade front mains to near audiophile entry-level speakers and stay put. Yep that's my ticket. Dam rabbit hole! You just helped me from jumping deeper down that hole Sir!
P.S. Going put Doobie Brothers on like one of their better tunes: going to enjoy just listening to the music..smooth man I can dig it.

Mike

Last edited:
H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I over looked that part of 7.1.7.2 and so on. How did I miss that? Your absolutely correct about AVR's at most they are only capable of outputing umm..lets just use a nice even watt number 80 watts on a 7.1 set up and that's with a flagship AVR. As much as I am already down the rabbit hole with my modest setup I have now,
So yeah more Amps would surely have to come into play when moving up the food chain. You are absolutely right, how can we trust avr's power ratings in a 5.1 or 7.1 much less anything higher than that. My 0nkyo TX-NR656 is rated at 100 X 2 into 8 ohms and I read a pro review where "they said" it tested out at 75 watts into a 7.1. But do I really believe that? Hell No! lolo..at myself for forgetting about the amp side. So umm..yep more amps, more cables, interconnect cables, speaker wire or speaker cables more speakers have to change out the audio right to handle the add-on amps. Umm..yeah it upgrade my AVR to a flagship upgrade front mains to near audiophile entry-level speakers and stay put. Yep that's my ticket. Dam rabbit hole! You just helped me from jumping deeper down that hole Sir!

Mike
No problem. I mean if you really want to I say go for it but for ALL the reasons I mentioned I'm not going there. It's just not for me.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis