Big Bertha Horn VS L48se which one do you think is loudest?

F

f0rze

Audiophyte
So my dad had four L48se and he said they were really good.

But i cant build four that would just be insane. First i thought of building a Big Bertha but then i realized that wont fit through my door, so thats a major problem. Then i came up with a idea to build a Bertha thats cut in half in height. So it would be one 18 inch sub.

But the question is what should i go with?

here is a pic of the Bertha i was talking about: https://www.google.se/search?q=big+bertha+horn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi5h5XMzoHUAhWEIJoKHX90CDsQ_AUICigB&biw=1920&bih=974#imgdii=IxCEacB9o4LFhM:&imgrc=-I9C6rFqUpZYmM:

And here is a picture of the earthquake horn or L48se: https://www.google.se/search?q=l48se&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjBjpqVzYHUAhXFlSwKHTjQDrMQ_AUICigB&biw=1920&bih=974#imgrc=Hz4P3htlzvbEcM:

Last edited:
F

f0rze

Audiophyte
Are you trying to build a sub for a club or permanently compromise internal construction of your home?
I found a bit more details here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/188406-now-sub-bertha-w-bin.html
I am building them for my own enjoyment. I am just getting started with audio and stuff like that so i don't know that much. But my dad said the Cerwin Vega earthquake horns were better. But i don't know since i see people saying that the bertha is the best bass they've ever heard. So i don't know what i should go with.

So long story short i want something that will rattle the house, no not really. But something that will really kick your chest.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I am building them for my own enjoyment. I am just getting started with audio and stuff like that so i don't know that much. But my dad said the Cerwin Vega earthquake horns were better. But i don't know since i see people saying that the bertha is the best bass they've ever heard. So i don't know what i should go with.

So long story short i want something that will rattle the house, no not really. But something that will really kick your chest.
I wasn't joking about not just "rattle", running full steam bin sub like betha will literally shatter all the glass windows in your house.

I get it - we have plenty of sub crazed people here and I don't blame you for wanting more, but I'm trying to help go down the path of very powerful, yet somewhat sensible product.
What is the total cuft of space you have ? Including open spaces etc....

This one is absolutely insanely powerful, but still somewhat suitable sub for homes:
http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/THT.html

I think one of forums regulars or mods, maybe it was @Matt34 who had as sold it since it was too much sub?

20Hz: 114dB at 4.5% THD. I did not push any further, as the panes in my windows were moving about 1/16" at the time. I think they would have broken if I went further. Above 20Hz, you can get damned near as much as you want dB-wise, all clean. Basically, from 16 or so Hz on up, you have strong bass, from 20Hz on up, INSANE bass.
this is the driver Bill recommends,since original tempest is long RIP
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-rss390ho-4-15-reference-ho-subwoofer-4-ohm--295-469

Last edited:
ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Just get married and then you won't have to worry about building either one of those....

T

Tankman

Audioholic

But i cant build four that would just be insane. First i thought of building a Big Bertha but then i realized that wont fit through my door, so thats a major problem. Then i came up with a idea to build a Bertha thats cut in half in height. So it would be one 18 inch sub.

here is a pic of the Bertha i was talking about: https://www.google.se/search?q=big+bertha+horn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi5h5XMzoHUAhWEIJoKHX90CDsQ_AUICigB&biw=1920&bih=974#imgdii=IxCEacB9o4LFhM:&imgrc=-I9C6rFqUpZYmM:

And here is a picture of the earthquake horn or L48se: https://www.google.se/search?q=l48se&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjBjpqVzYHUAhXFlSwKHTjQDrMQ_AUICigB&biw=1920&bih=974#imgrc=Hz4P3htlzvbEcM:
Umm...I checked out them links and Bro that's a Really huge sub!
The one thing I love about this hobby are all the ways we audio/video Enthusiast find ways to enjoy this Hobby. Them huge subs remind me of that movie Mad Max Fury Road, and that dude playing the electric guitar riding on that hot rod with all them huge speakers! Umm..yep this hobby never has fail to amaze me. From the bottom of my heart your thread has made my day. Ya know one can never have to many speakers for this hobby I always say. Lolo...totally awesome man! Smooth brother audio enthusiast I can dig it!.

T

Tankman

Audioholic
Marry the right one and you never have to worry about it. ;)
I did marry the right one, tried 3 more after the Mother of my children. 1st wife was the only one who fully understood my passion for this Hobbit. I just couldn't keep my...umm.. pecker in my pants so to speak...lolo..and after 4 Ex wife's and a whole lot of other women in between the four ex-wives.. Yep working in the Gulf of Mexico on production platforms can do that you know. Let's just say I ain't a male gigolo any moe!..:D

T

Tankman

Audioholic

I just notice the typo in my post!...Lmao! sweet!..Dam autocorrect. I am going to leave my post just to see who else jumps on it..lolo. BoredSysAdmin..You couldn't resist huh?...Now I know I came to the right forum.

Mike

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I just notice the typo in my post!...Lmao! sweet!..Dam autocorrect. I am going to leave my post just to see who else jumps on it..lolo. BoredSysAdmin..You couldn't resist huh?...Now I know I came to the right forum.

Mike
I just now noticed that you joined this forum on my birthday!

T

Tankman

Audioholic
I just now noticed that you joined this forum on my birthday!
Pogre, I been coming on here all the way back to 2009... Audioholics wedsite has been my go to for gear since then. Wish they had internet back in the mid 80s I would have saved a ton of money on gear and would have had much better gear to. But I would just be sneaking around the threads trying to pick up some good tips and advice from the old timers. What is kicking on your end of the World..Down here in the deep South on a big ole Sunday nothing much on my end to brag about..

Mike

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

If you cut the horn is half, then you will double the frequency at which the speakers cuts off, so it won't be a sub.

Also you can't just pick any driver. Like all speakers the horn has to be designed for a specific driver.

Horns require low Qts high flux density, high sensitivity drivers. There are much fewer drivers around these days that are suitable for horn loading.

You need to study how to design a horn loudspeaker. These are the most difficult of all to design.

It is clear to me you do not know how to design a horn loudspeaker.

M

Mark Seaton

Junior Audioholic

If you are looking to build something like this, I would strongly recommend looking up the LAB Subwoofer. This was a product of the Live Audio Board and the design was done by Tom Danley. The LAB12 woofer was made available from Eminence as a result, where the LAB15 and other "LAB" drivers were variations with related capabilities. I think you'll find the dimensions much more manageable with a 22.5" width. If you really wanted to get crazy in a home, you can build and stack 2 tall with the large side to the wall and aimed about 24-30" from the corner IIRC. This extends the horn and gives smoother and deeper extension while only takes up 22.5" x 45" on the floor.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis