Crazy setup...Receiver, Multi display, Dual monitor, Multi PC

S

Sylar

Full Audioholic
I am trying to integrate a dual PC and dual monitor setup into my current setup which consists of,
  • PC connected to AV Receiver
  • TV connected to receiver via ARC.
  • Monitor connected to Receiver (Receiver has 2 outputs to display, only 1 at a time).
  • Currently i switch between TV and monitor using receiver.
Racked my brains and have come up with this... Probable setup
The following conditions are to be satisfied for the new setup.
  1. Single keyboard, mouse.
  2. Monitor in dual monitor setup
  3. Switching between the 2 PC's using hot key or remote. Must switch both keyboard and display.
  4. PC 1 will connect to dual monitor.
  5. PC 2 to connect to dual monitor, never to TV or receiver.
  6. PC 1 will also connect to TV-Receiver or Monitor1-Receiver (Monitor1-Receiver would suffice here, but dual monitor setup of Monitor1-Monitor2-Receiver would be great).
    Why both TV and monitor running via receiver? Monitor used when playing music / browsing. TV when watching videos.
The complexity here comes in integrating dual monitor and the receiver. Separate paths was the best I could come up with. Also, dual monitor setup requires DP all the way from PC. Open to other ways to connect the dual monitors, if it can easily integrate with the receiver.
Is there a better way to get this setup?

Also, what outputs would I need at PC 1?

S

Sylar

Full Audioholic
See link in post #1 . Path 1 consists of a KVM. Wondering if I can simplify it in anyway.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
See link in post #1 . Path 1 consists of a KVM. Wondering if I can simplify it in anyway.
Link requires login to functional microsoft account. I freaking hate microsoft live.
Got it to work eventually.

Next time just do imgur or something.

If you 100% that DP will stack/daisy-chain for dual monitors, maybe you don't dual dp kvm, a single DP kvm would be enough?
Why do you need to connect avr output to 2nd monitor?
Like this one?
http://www.aten.com/us/en/products/kvm/desktop-kvm-switches/cs782dp/

You'd need still need a kvm in this scenario

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
My personal experience has shown that KVM switches can be unreliable and a real hassle in the long run. The problem seems to be worse with USB KVMs vs. the old school PS/2 KVMs.

My KVM experience is in an industrial setting, not at home, so YMMV.

@BoredSysAdmin what's your experience on KVMs?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Cheap kvm are crap. Aten, avocent, Raritan make good ones

S

Sylar

Full Audioholic
If you 100% that DP will stack/daisy-chain for dual monitors, maybe you don't dual dp kvm, a single DP kvm would be enough?
Why do you need to connect avr output to 2nd monitor?
Yes a single out DP would suffice if I am daisy chaining.
The AVR out to 2nd monitor is for listening to music, browsing and watching videos. The TV won't work out for that.

So I have 3 scenarios,
1. Typical Home Theater env from PC for movies (TV is used).
2. Music from PC, and browsing (Monitor is used).
3. Use PC as a work environment (Dual Monitor is primarily for this).

The 2 issues I have is,
1. Receiver accepts HDMI, but daisy chained dual monitor requires DP.
2. I need to switch between home PC and office Laptop.

One other choice that will simply everything is, run a DP cable from PC to monitor. So monitor will have one input as DP, and one as HDMI, now I can switch using the monitor. But, I have the problem of integrating the 2nd PC here.

S

Sylar

Full Audioholic
Cheap kvm are crap. Aten, avocent, Raritan make good ones
The 400$ KVM's are way too expensive.

Is there anything around 150$ range that is reliable?
If there are too many issues with them then I'll probably skip it and try something else.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
If you'd buy startech now, later on you'd buy aten anyway. Why not just pay for decent option right away and save in long run.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis