Help setting up old reciever with a subwoofer

J

JHill

Audiophyte
Hi, I currently have old JVC RX-318 receiver powering a set of Pioneer BS-22LR bookshelf speakers. I am looking to add a subwoofer to the set-up (open for recommendations around $100) and am completely lost on where to start. I have been trying to find information on the web but there is little information I can understand. Any help will be greatly appreciated! I will post pictures of the back of the receiver.

Sidenote: I have been wondering if it is even possible to set-up a subwoofer to this receiver and I found an old Marantz SR-66 for $30. I would like to know if that receiver could be set-up with a subwoofer.
Thanks.
JVC RX.jpg
Marantz_SR-66.gif

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
You will need to use a subwoofer with speaker-level inputs. Some subwoofers have them, but most are shedding those kind of inputs. At $100, a subwoofer with speaker level inputs is a tall order, but there is one- the Dayton SUB-800. I do think its is worth stepping up to the SUB-1000 or 1200 though. Try to up your budget to accommodate the Dayton 1200, its 12" cone has more than twice the surface area of the 8" woofer of the SUB-800, it should be able to majorly outperform the 800 for just $35 more.

J

JHill

Audiophyte
You will need to use a subwoofer with speaker-level inputs. Some subwoofers have them, but most are shedding those kind of inputs. At $100, a subwoofer with speaker level inputs is a tall order, but there is one- the Dayton SUB-800. I do think its is worth stepping up to the SUB-1000 or 1200 though. Try to up your budget to accommodate the Dayton 1200, its 12" cone has more than twice the surface area of the 8" woofer of the SUB-800, it should be able to majorly outperform the 800 for just $35 more.
Thanks, would the pre-out connection on the Marantz receiver eliminate the need for speaker-level inputs? I am try to judge if the Marantz receiver would be a good buy or not. Also where would you connect the subwoofer on the JVC receiver using speaker level inputs? Forgive me I am completely new to audio.
Thank you for the recommendation for the SUB-1200, sounds like a much better option.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks, would the pre-out connection on the Marantz receiver eliminate the need for speaker-level inputs? I am try to judge if the Marantz receiver would be a good buy or not. Also where would you connect the subwoofer on the JVC receiver using speaker level inputs? Forgive me I am completely new to audio.
Thank you for the recommendation for the SUB-1200, sounds like a much better option.
Marantz won't help you, it's lacking sub-out. You'd still need to use speakers high level wiring.
Sub1200 is solid sub for it's (very little) money

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If the pre-outs are for front left/right speaker channels, yes, you can use them to send the signal to the sub.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
If the pre-outs are for front left/right speaker channels, yes, you can use them to send the signal to the sub.
Pre-Outs are only for rear and center as far as I can see on the marantz

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Pre-Outs are only for rear and center as far as I can see on the marantz
I saw that and thought that would be weird just to have pre-outs for those channels, which is why my reply was qualified. It is possible that is an assignment for a certain mode of operation? I don't know, it might say in the manual, but I don't relish trying to find the manual for a unit that old. That is a task for the OP.

J

JHill

Audiophyte
Thanks everyone for the help! I think I will go with the current receiver and high level wire the sub. A few more questions for you all. Would the Dayton 1200 be too much sub for a 12x10x8 ft room? I was thinking of possibly getting the 1000. Also to high level wire the subwoofer you connect the receiver to the input on the sub and then connect the output on the sub to your 2 speakers correct? This would pass the low frequencies to the sub and leave the higher frequencies to the speakers?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks everyone for the help! I think I will go with the current receiver and high level wire the sub. A few more questions for you all. Would the Dayton 1200 be too much sub for a 12x10x8 ft room? I was thinking of possibly getting the 1000. Also to high level wire the subwoofer you connect the receiver to the input on the sub and then connect the output on the sub to your 2 speakers correct? This would pass the low frequencies to the sub and leave the higher frequencies to the speakers?
Per feature # 3 in the description for the Sub1200:

3. High Level Outputs
There are also high level outputs which can be used to connect to main speakers or to another powered subwoofer with high level inputs. Note: High level outputs are paralleled to the high level inputs with no high pass filter.

So the speakers get full frequency input with the lack of bass management in the receiver.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The SUB 1200 is definitely not too much for that room.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Per feature # 3 in the description for the Sub1200:

3. High Level Outputs
There are also high level outputs which can be used to connect to main speakers or to another powered subwoofer with high level inputs. Note: High level outputs are paralleled to the high level inputs with no high pass filter.

So the speakers get full frequency input with the lack of bass management in the receiver.
This is not ideal, but at such tight budget it's acceptable compromise. HSU subs offer speaker level inputs/outputs as well and they do use crossover to filter out bass even on speaker level, but their price is almost 4 times more, unless you could find a used HSU sub on craigslist

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
This is not ideal, but at such tight budget it's acceptable compromise. HSU subs offer speaker level inputs/outputs as well and they do use crossover to filter out bass even on speaker level, but their price is almost 4 times more, unless you could find a used HSU sub on craigslist
I believe there are still some SVS models that provide high pass filters as well. With the proliferation of receivers with bass management it just becomes less needed on the sub side....

E

evanmercer

Audiophyte
Hi, I currently have old JVC RX-318 receiver powering a set of Pioneer BS-22LR bookshelf speakers. I am looking to add a subwoofer to the set-up (open for recommendations around $100) and am completely lost on where to start. I have been trying to find information on the web but there is little information I can understand. Any help will be greatly appreciated! I will post pictures of the back of the receiver.

I connected a Energy subwoofer to my JVC rx-318, using the high level inputs on the sub connected to the speaker 2 outputs and Q accoustic 3020s connected to Speaker 1 outputs. They both work separately but won't play together. If both speakers are on, only the sub plays no matter what I do with the surround switch. Did you have this problem? I am befuddled. Any help, suggestions etc would be appreciated.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis