Klipsch (Reference Premiere Series) RP-160M Monitor Speaker Overview

H

HTKamikazee

Audioholics Sheriff
When it comes to audio, Klipsch needs no introduction. Their loudspeakers are widely used in theaters around the globe. Klipsch could easily be considered one of the most important companies in audio history. Now, they are ready to launch the new Reference Premiere Series of speakers which should start selling this March 2, 2015. One of these new speaker is the RP-160M Monitor Speaker.
PicsArt_1424876413397.jpg

At first sight, this speaker may look similar to previous models, but let me tell you they are not. This speaker is so versatile that you can use it for music listening or as front/side/surround channels in a home theater.

Each cabinet features a 6-1/2" Cerametallic woofer combined with Klipsch's signature 1" horn tweeter. Many aspects of this speaker received an upgrade and the horn is one of several. It features their newly designed Hybrid Tractrix® horn which has been It has been upgraded to molded silicone rubber in order to minimize resonance and deliver a wider sweet spot compared to previous Klipsch models. I can't wait to hear a pair of these in action. What do you say? Are you interested?

Check out the following specifications and tell us what you think!

SPECIFICATIONS:
  • Frequency Response: 43-24kHz +/- 3dBSENSITIVITY: 95dB @ 2.83V / 1m.
  • Power Handling (Cont/Peak): 100W/400W
  • Nominal Impedance: 8 Ohms
  • High Frequency Driver: 1" Titanium LTS Tweeter with Hybrid Cross-Section Tractrix Horn.
  • Low Frequency Driver: 6.5" Cerametallic Cone Woofer.
  • Crossover Frequency: 1500Hz
  • Enclosure Material: MDF
  • Enclosure Type: Bass Reflex via rear-firing Tractrix port.
  • Inputs: Dual binding posts/bi-wire/bi-amp.
  • Height: 16.67"
  • Width: 8.81"
  • Depth: 12.86"
  • Weight: 19.9 lbs.
  • Finishes: Ebony, Cherry
Price: $600.00/pair.

Click on the thumbnail below for a closer view.
PicsArt_1424876439642.jpg rp-160m-back_635567517459994000_medium.jpg

Last edited:
F

felipe

Audioholic
I haven't tried the 160M, but I'm currently tryin out the smaller version (RP-150M). So far, they are very impressive.

P

Papking

Audiophyte
I recently purchased the RP-160ms. To my ears these speakers are fabulous! Great bass, midrange and wonderful highs that do not cause fatigue. The new tweeters are just marvelous. I was never a Klipsch fan but these are different. To my ears these are the best deal in bookshelf speakers.
Speakers tested: Wharfdale Denton anniversary, Elac B5. B6 & Unifi, B&W 685s2, SVS Ultra and Klipsch RP-160m.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I recently purchased the RP-160ms. To my ears these speakers are fabulous! Great bass, midrange and wonderful highs that do not cause fatigue. The new tweeters are just marvelous. I was never a Klipsch fan but these are different. To my ears these are the best deal in bookshelf speakers.
Speakers tested: Wharfdale Denton anniversary, Elac B5. B6 & Unifi, B&W 685s2, SVS Ultra and Klipsch RP-160m.
So, you are saying that YOU think the Klipsch RP-160 MS speakers sound better to YOUR ears than the Wharfedale Dentons and/or the B&W 685 S2's? Personally, I have never read a bad thing on the Dentons and the 685 S2's use the same exact drivers that are used in the CM series. The main difference being in the cabinets and/or X-over components. That is, the CM series have a much better finish and weigh more due to better bracing throughout.

What is it about the Dentons or the 685 S2's that you thought was not as good as the RP-160 MS's? Do You prefer a more forward sound presentation? Just curious myself. The Dentons tend to be on the warmer side of scale whereas the 685's have a more lushy/vevelty sound presentation. Typically, Klipsch is known for excessive brightness and can be quite fatiguing. However, the Reference Premiere series seems to have tamed that somewhat. Just interested to know what it is exactly that you did not like about the Dentons and/or the 685 S2's.

Phil

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The Reference Premiere series seems to have targeted a flat frequency response, at least it looks like it from these measurements. That is a nice change of pace for Klipsch.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Glad to 'hear' of the improved tweeter, previous generation caused bleeding from the ears ........

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
The Reference Premiere series seems to have targeted a flat frequency response, at least it looks like it from these measurements. That is a nice change of pace for Klipsch.
Yeah, I have read many times that the Reference Premiere line has tamed a lot of the excessive brightness with their top end. But, my focus here is with both the Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary bookshelfs and the B&W 685 S2's. Both, of which, are in my sights so to speak. Have any info on either of these?

Phil

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Denton measurements

685 S2 measurements

The Dentons might not be bad but those measurements are a bit obscuring. I hope they somehow compensated for that flat, wide front baffle. The 685 S2 speakers have problems. I would not trade the Klipsch speakers for a pair of those. I would probably also stick with the Klipsch over the Wharfedales until I see better data for the Wharfedales.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Denton measurements

685 S2 measurements

The Dentons might not be bad but those measurements are a bit obscuring. I hope they somehow compensated for that flat, wide front baffle. The 685 S2 speakers have problems. I would not trade the Klipsch speakers for a pair of those. I would probably also stick with the Klipsch over the Wharfedales until I see better data for the Wharfedales.
I already own a set of the B&W CM1 S1's and love them. The Dentons will be here tomorrow. Was supposed to today, but Fed Ex screwed up yet again. No surprises there. Seen the post above and was asking the poster what he did not like about both the B&W 685 S2's and /or the Dentons 80th Anniversary bookshelfs when compared to the the Klipsch RP- 160 MS's. Just very curious is all. Plan to change out my desktop setup real soon. The RP-160 MS will NOT be in my setup. But, happy to hear Klipsch has tamed some of that excessive brightness.

Phil

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I own a set of Ultras and love them. I have to get out and listen to some of these newer Klipsch speakers. I've heard a lot of good things.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
Their lower priced reference line (icon replacement ) is very good as well. I've got a pair of their old reference II series and prefer the new inexpensive line to them. They're much more accurate.

I think their sensitivity ratings are a bit more honest now as well. I have a pair of klipsch rb 10 with a claimed sensitivity of 90dB, I believe sound and vision measured them to be about 87dB, the r-14m is rated at 90dB and is a good 4dB louder at the same volume than the rb 10. It has a much lower f3 as well, reaching 70hz vs the 90 hz of the rb 10. I get a -3dB response of 50hz in room with the klipsch r -15m. It's pretty sad to say but at high volumes my sub gives up before the bookshelf speakers do. Massive dynamic swings at reference level is no problem for them.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

P

Papking

Audiophyte
So, you are saying that YOU think the Klipsch RP-160 MS speakers sound better to YOUR ears than the Wharfedale Dentons and/or the B&W 685 S2's? Personally, I have never read a bad thing on the Dentons and the 685 S2's use the same exact drivers that are used in the CM series. The main difference being in the cabinets and/or X-over components. That is, the CM series have a much better finish and weigh more due to better bracing throughout.

What is it about the Dentons or the 685 S2's that you thought was not as good as the RP-160 MS's? Do You prefer a more forward sound presentation? Just curious myself. The Dentons tend to be on the warmer side of scale whereas the 685's have a more lushy/vevelty sound presentation. Typically, Klipsch is known for excessive brightness and can be quite fatiguing. However, the Reference Premiere series seems to have tamed that somewhat. Just interested to know what it is exactly that you did not like about the Dentons and/or the 685 S2's.

Phil[/QUOTE
The Denton's I liked but they seemed to have a hole in the mid range. The B&WS sounded off to the point where my wife commented that the music was not life like. The Klipsch sound very nice without the traditional Klipsch overly Bright sound. They have only gotten better. I have no regrets.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Papking, thanks for your reply. I find that the Dentons have a very solid mid-range giving them a much warmer sound presentation. Very musical and forgiving of bad recordings. My B&W CM1 S1's are a bit more laid-back w/better low end extension. Thus, the CM1's are also bit more richer in flavor if you will and velvety smooth over all. Both are very non-fatiguing. However, I do prefer the warmer presentation of the Dentons. To my ears, they do everything just right. Just wished there was a little bit more extension though.

I am sure the RP-160's are fantastic speakers. Thinking about ordering me a RP-250C center channel to improve dialogue intelligibility when watching a BR/TV. Not interested in using any surrounds and/or a powered sub. Unfortunately, the Dentons do NOT have a matching center channel speaker. Thus, my plan is to use my Dentons when listening to my music in 2-Channel and add the RP-250C center to use ONLY when watching a 4K BR/TV. I bet that would sound very good in terms of dialogue intelligibility, no?

Phil

Last edited:
Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
I own a pair of 160M's and love them, they're running as front wides at the moment which doesn't do them justice but as 2ch they rock as well.

S

Shuto

Audiophyte
Hi, I'm new here, but not to audio. I'm very active on HeadFi.

Anyway, I have a pair of Klipsch RP160Ms that I'm running as my main speakers for 2-and 5-channel applications from my Denon Avr920.

I'm looking for a good sub that's solid for both applications. My room is about 13*20*7, but my sofa is only 10-ft away. This is more for music than movies, so I value detail and speed over raw power, if that helps.

What is my best bang-for-buck for 12-inch subs? I'm also interested in the 15-inch Klipsch R-115rs, but that's running $650-700, which is more than I want to spend.

I'll buy new or used, but I need to get this right since subs are so big and expensive to ship.

Thanks in advance!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The most bang for the buck 12"s are undoubtedly these guys, but those are all $600 to $700. Going cheaper means less cabinet which means less deep bass. Here is a decent $500 sub. It won't dig as deep as some of the larger 12"s in that above article, but it does get quite loud at 50 Hz and above. For a less expensive 12", the Emotiva BasX S12 might be fine, but I wouldn't guess it is quite on the level of those $600 to $700 subs. Hsu has the VTF-1 mk3, which is a very nice all-around performer for a 10" and is a very good for music range frequencies at 40 Hz and above. SVS has the PB-1000, which is probably the deepest digging sub for $500 or less.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Fyi: pa-150 isn't $500 sub, but a $350. Sellers are being coy about their prices. Vtf1 or Pb1000 are your probably best bets.

S

Shuto

Audiophyte
Thanks for the suggestions!

Are they both fast and articulate? I listen to a lot of fast-tempo progressive rock and metal.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for the suggestions!

Are they both fast and articulate? I listen to a lot of fast-tempo progressive rock and metal.
They both excellent music and ht subs for smaller spaces or tight budgets.
VTF subs are configurable so you could have it more "musical" (aka low Q) or dig deeper - depends on how you like it.

T

ThunderClap

Audioholic
Denton measurements

685 S2 measurements

what problems do the 685s2 have??

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis