Vudu audio bitrate?

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
I've noticed the audio and video quality is vastly superior vs amazon and netflix, which have very obvious compression artifacts with both the video and audio, not to mention vudu also offers both 7.1 and Atmos. Does anyone know what bitrate DD+ they're using?

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I thought DD+ was limited 640K, but it supports 7.1.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I just tested the link, look at the compare tab....

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
Its the only streaming service I've used that I can't reliably detect artifacts on, either in video or on the audio side. Both Netflix and amazon sound almost as bad as Pandora's free quality. I believe I read somewhere that Netflix started using 224kbps when they switched over to DD+. I just wish companies published the data rates their using, since I know what nitrate codecs become transparent. (Around 74k per channel with DD+)

Sent from my 5065N using Tapatalk

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
I see some old threads in their forum saying it's no better than DD at the end....Tried this search https://duckduckgo.com/?q=audio+bit+rate+dolby+digital+plus+site:vudu.com&t=hc&atb=v60-5_a&ia=web
That's not entirely the case. Its kinda like HE-AAC, which allows for thing like spectral band replication, which allows the encoder to discard high frequency information past a certain cutoff and instead embed metadata to "guide" the decoder in replacing those frequencies, in addition, it also allows coupling of mid and high frequency information common to multiple channels into one channel, other things like adaptive hybrid transformation further increase its efficiency.

As someone who has played around with legacy DD, I can tell you 224kbps DD without the + extension sounds about as bad as 32kbps MP3, with the extension its about as good as 64kbps HE AAC. Minor compression artifacts are noticeable at the DVD standard of 448kbps, whereas I cannot reliably abx a DD+ track at the same bitrate.

Sent from my 5065N using Tapatalk

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis