Cheap Subwoofer question...

H

hineclipsegt

Audiophyte
I am looking at subs under $150 for my Onkyo TXNR646... Current speakers are the Polk S Series... I noticed these 3 subs were on sale and was wondering if anyone had any opinions on them.. Dayton Audio SUB-1000, Polk PSW10 and Yamaha YST-SW216

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
If a 10 is where you need to be, and can save up, or extend the budget, this RSL is getting a lot of love. What is the main use? Movies, music, etc...
https://rslspeakers.com/products/rsl-speedwoofer-10s/
The RSL is more than the 150, but good bass is an investment, and while you can get into diminishing returns, I wouldn't have many expectations in that price range. Unless it's a very small space.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I am looking for a cheap temp solution for now.
If that's the case I'd go used then. $150 doesn't get you much in a compact sub other than it will be compact.

As others have stated the Dayton route is very good especially if it is for a small space. I wouldn't set your expectations to high for that price though.

What are you pairing it with?

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
I am looking at subs under $150 for my Onkyo TXNR646... Current speakers are the Polk S Series... I noticed these 3 subs were on sale and was wondering if anyone had any opinions on them.. Dayton Audio SUB-1000, Polk PSW10 and Yamaha YST-SW216
As an owner of a sub 1000 I'd heartily recommend it, though the sub 1200 is on sale for less than $150 currently and will give you a deeper extension. The sub 1000 has an in room response of 35hz -3dB and a useful extension of 30hz -10dB with a maximum spl of 100dB at 3 meters. If you could stretch your budget farther the sub 1500 has a -3dB response of 23hz with a useful extension of 20hz -10dB, and a maximum spl of 105dB at 3 meters. I don't own a sub 1200 so haven't had the chance to measure it but I believe I saw a graph showing a -3dB response of 25hz on avsforum.

Do not under any circumstances buy a polk sub, they're garbage.

The psw10 has a -3dB response of 40hz, I have an onkyo HTiB sub that digs deeper than that and sounds better too. Combine that with a lousy 50w amplifier and you're in for a mess of clipping and port noise since any real sub bass is below the tuning frequency.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis