Is buzzing sound from subwoofer is normal?

M

mlee

Audiophyte
I've had SVS SB16 Ultra for a while and recently I just noticed that there's a buzzing sound from the sub when it's on. The subwoofer is in "auto" mode, when it comes out of stand-by mode, there's a thump noise from the sub, it's not too loud, I only can hear it when it in a quite room so I think it's normal for all subwoofers. My other R-115SW from Klipsch does the same things when power on. However the buzzing noise is different, Klipsch's sub is harder to hear the buzzing noise than the SVS.

So my question is how loud the buzzing noise is normal?

Thanks

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
A small thump at power up is likely normal/ok. Not exactly desirable, but I would personally not be too worried about that.

Now, a BUZZ is a different story. That is most likely a problem, and could be a serious problem.

Now, is it a BUZZ or a (60Hz) HUM?

If you say that you hear it on 2 different subs, then it is most likely a Hum. And, the most likely cause for a hum is a poor ground and/or a ground loop. These things can be difficult to find and eliminate, but it is not impossible.

If it is a buzz, then you may be headed towards a component failure, it could even be a dramatic component failure!

M

mlee

Audiophyte
Yes, I should describe it as humming noise. It sounds like there's a fan inside the sub. The noise is there on both sub without any cable plug to it (of course it has power cable) so I don't think it's ground loop issue.

I've contacted SVS and they send me the new amp to try out and the humming noise is still there. That's why I would like to know if humming noise is acceptable or my sub has to be completely quiet.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Does the buzz sound like this? If so, the problem may not be due to the sub, but to your wiring. There are all kinds of solutions for a groundloop hum. I that is the problem, here is a page to get you started on getting rid of the hum.

M

mlee

Audiophyte
Does the buzz sound like this?
Mine sounds like a white noise from TV or radio, it's like this than the one you sent me. My understanding is ground loop happens when there're more than 1 device in the system. I've already tested my sub alone without anything connected to it.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Amps amplify everything, including the stuff you don't want. Fluorescent lights, lights with dimming switches, fridge, or other large appliances on the same circuit can also cause noise that will end up getting amplified. A little bit of hiss expected, but I'd run it by SVS to be sure.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Amps amplify everything, including the stuff you don't want. Fluorescent lights, lights with dimming switches, fridge, or other large appliances on the same circuit can also cause noise that will end up getting amplified. A little bit of hiss expected, but I'd run it by SVS to be sure.
Good point. OP may only have the sub plugged into the outlet, but other items on the CIRCUIT could be root cause.

M

mlee

Audiophyte
Amps amplify everything, including the stuff you don't want.
Correct, I would expect that when I turn up the volume the noise get noisier and it reverses when turn down volume. However, it does not like that in my case. The humming noise is pretty constant.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I'd say run it by SVS. It could be a bad amp, because it sounds like possibly transformer hum or caps could be going bad. When my former amp had an issue I got a pretty loud popping noise and then one of the caps fried, but it did this over a fairly long period of time before actually failing. I didn't have any noticeable humming though, so it is possible it is normal.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Slap a cheater plug on it and see if it stops. $1 at lowes or HD.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis