KEF Q 2017 Loudspeaker Preview

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
KEF has redesigned it's affordable (by their standards) Q series lineup of speakers. All the Q 2017 speakers include a revamped Uni-Q driver array with a newly engineered damped tweeter loading tube and a new low-distortion inductor in the crossovers to help provide a cleaner and more accurate bass. The bookshelves start at a reasonable $550/pr. Are they right for you?

Read: KEF Q 2017 Loudspeaker Preview

M

minimiggs

Audiophyte
There seems to be no replacement for the Q800ds dipole rear surround speakers. Are they planning a replacement?

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
"Low-distortion" inductor sounds like typical marketing-speak.

What type of distortion?

Low compared to what?

And is it audibly lower than other comparable inductors?

I'm guessing it's better in terms of saturation at high levels.

Looks like they switched to the 'ribbed' driver cones, instead of the previously 'unribbed' cones. That might reduce the high-frequency break-up that was evident in the previous Q series. I wonder whether they still use the simple first-order crossovers? I'm guessing they do - and that they decided it was cheaper to reduce the high frequency breakup by switching to the ribbed cones instead of addressing it with a more complex crossover.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
"Low-distortion" inductor sounds like typical marketing-speak.

What type of distortion?

Low compared to what?

And is it audibly lower than other comparable inductors?

I'm guessing it's better in terms of saturation at high levels.

Looks like they switched to the 'ribbed' driver cones, instead of the previously 'unribbed' cones. That might reduce the high-frequency break-up that was evident in the previous Q series. I wonder whether they still use the simple first-order crossovers? I'm guessing they do - and that they decided it was cheaper to reduce the high frequency breakup by switching to the ribbed cones instead of addressing it with a more complex crossover.
Agreed, I was wondering about that too, you don't typically associate "distortion" with "inductors"

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Agreed, I was wondering about that too, you don't typically associate "distortion" with "inductors"
There are different types though. My A/V-2 speakers utilize foil inductors as opposed to the more common wound ones. That was the x-over design, though I don't know how much difference it would make.

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
Yes, there is more than one way to construct an inductor.

It doesn't change the fact that "distortion" is not a metric/parameter that is relevant or meaningful for inductors.

Factors that ARE relevant are size, price, inductance, resistance, Q, saturation levels and behavior at saturation levels, power handling, etc.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
My guess is that they're just switching from a steel laminate solid core inductor to an air core. A simple iron core inductor can saturate under heavy loads, and that is a form of distortion. Steel laminate solid cores are less prone to this problem, and I use them in the woofer circuits when high values are required. Air core are even less prone to saturation than steel laminates, but I don't think there's any issue in normal rational use. So there is a theoretical, if not practical, advantage to moving from steel laminates to air core, and probably a practical advantage to using air cores if the original were solid iron cores (which I doubt, but anything is possible).

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
My guess is that they're just switching from a steel laminate solid core inductor to an air core. A simple iron core inductor can saturate under heavy loads, and that is a form of distortion. Steel laminate solid cores are less prone to this problem, and I use them in the woofer circuits when high values are required. Air core are even less prone to saturation than steel laminates, but I don't think there's any issue in normal rational use. So there is a theoretical, if not practical, advantage to moving from steel laminates to air core, and probably a practical advantage to using air cores if the original were solid iron cores (which I doubt, but anything is possible).
Gotcha, thanks.

I understand saturation and hysteresis, I just never quite made the connection that this is indeed distortion in the classic sense. I suppose most of my inductor knowledge has been geared more towards transformers and less towards filters.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Gotcha, thanks.

I understand saturation and hysteresis, I just never quite made the connection that this is indeed distortion in the classic sense. I suppose most of my inductor knowledge has been geared more towards transformers and less towards filters.
I think any difference between the input and output can be considered distortion.

E

Electone

Audioholic
Looks like a minor reworking of the entire speaker range. Glad to see they are keeping the boxy shape - I rather like that.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I auditioned the new Q150's today. I must say...wow! I find them to be a much improved speaker over the predecessor Q100. Much cleaner, deeper bass, less roll-off at the higher treble, overall better clarity. The design changes in moving the port to the rear and "taking money out" by losing the grills (making them optional, and magnetically attached), reducing the options on finish, going back to single binding posts have paid off with better cabinet bracing, improved crossover and a much "sweeter" tweeter.

They will definitely give the R100 (which I own) a serious run for their money.

Last edited:
P

pase22

Audiophyte
I auditioned the new Q150's today. I must say...wow! I find them to be a much improved speaker over the predecessor Q100. Much cleaner, deeper bass, less roll-off at the higher treble, overall better clarity. The design changes in moving the port to the rear and "raking money out" by losing the grills (making them optional, and magnetically attached), reducing the options on finish, going back to single binding posts have paid off with better cabinet bracing, improved crossover and a much "sweeter" tweeter.

They will definitely give the R100 (which I own) a serious run for their money.
Worth the upgrade from the Q100's ?

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Worth the upgrade from the Q100's ?
That would depend upon the application and one's ears. Understand that I heard them in a well treated room, on very sturdy stands placed at least 3 feet from back or side walls and about 10 feet apart with 10 feet from them. In other words, ideal placement. They were running off the same NAD receiver I have, a T758 with the BlueOS module playing Tidal HiFi's MQA files. It was really quite good.

P

pase22

Audiophyte
I'm actually quite happy with the Q100's. There is nothing wrong with them that's prompting me to want to upgrade unless Paradigm prestige or Kef R series goes on sale at a ridiculous price which seems unlikely.
I will have to upgrade my surrounds at some point to have an all Kef Q setup, though upgrading my sub first may be a wiser decision.
Thanks for the feedback!

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
You should be happy, those are nice speakers. I'm not enamored with the flat black finish on the Q150's I heard or Q350's I held. While the European Walnut, Rosewood, Black Oak and Linear White finishes of the previous Q series were all vinyl laminates, it was without question the highest quality execution of it I've ever seen. Many people have to be told it's not true wood. My understanding is that the 3 wood-like finishes actually had some sort of wood fiber infused into the laminate.

That was expensive to do at that level of quality but in quantity, still cheaper than real wood veneers.

The R series has more panache in finish. I grabbed a pair of the R100 a month or two after I'd got the R500 pair, all in Walnut veneer. KEF had them on sale for $800 a pair for just a couple weeks before Christmas 2015. I imagine the R series will drop prices in 2018 or 2019 in preparation for the release of whatever they come up with to replace it. It seems the cycle of new model release is about 7 to 8 years with KEF, and the current R series was released in 2012. The previous Q series you have was 2010 or 2011.

What sub do you have now and what would you consider to be the next step?

P

pase22

Audiophyte
You should be happy, those are nice speakers. I'm not enamored with the flat black finish on the Q150's I heard or Q350's I held. While the European Walnut, Rosewood, Black Oak and Linear White finishes of the previous Q series were all vinyl laminates, it was without question the highest quality execution of it I've ever seen. Many people have to be told it's not true wood. My understanding is that the 3 wood-like finishes actually had some sort of wood fiber infused into the laminate.

That was expensive to do at that level of quality but in quantity, still cheaper than real wood veneers.

The R series has more panache in finish. I grabbed a pair of the R100 a month or two after I'd got the R500 pair, all in Walnut veneer. KEF had them on sale for $800 a pair for just a couple weeks before Christmas 2015. I imagine the R series will drop prices in 2018 or 2019 in preparation for the release of whatever they come up with to replace it. It seems the cycle of new model release is about 7 to 8 years with KEF, and the current R series was released in 2012. The previous Q series you have was 2010 or 2011.

What sub do you have now and what would you consider to be the next step?
Current equipment includes:
Kef Q100 FL/FR
Kef Q200c
JBL Loft 40 surrounds
Bic F-12 & JBL SP150
Denon AVR S710W
Next step would be to upgrade the sub(s), though excessive price and poor selection options in Canada are not favorable. I may just end up getting a pair of Q100's to round out the setup and re-visit the sub upgrade next year.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis