Help before I make bad purchase

Gmoneywp15

Gmoneywp15

Audioholic Intern
Got the following in my cart on Amazon. Wondering if I can do better for $2500? Marantz is non negotiable because I need a slim receiver and it is the only one I could find with pre-amp outputs. Amp is a bit pricey for this system but I figured it's future proof. Wondering what people think? I know the Rtia 9 aren't everyone's favorite but at their current price They seemed like a good deal. I did think if I went with a less power hungry speaker I could maybe save money on the amp- but then I was thinking thats my amp for life... I mainly just want for music right now and tack on rest if system for surround sound at a later date. But I can't stand listeners g to music thru tv speakers anymore.
2 x Polk RTI A9 $525 ea
Marantz NR1607 $500
Parasound 2250 $1000

Attachments

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Parasound amps are incredible, they usually run a bit hot but are incredibly designed and performers.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Got the following in my cart on Amazon. Wondering if I can do better for $2500? Marantz is non negotiable because I need a slim receiver and it is the only one I could find with pre-amp outputs. Amp is a bit pricey for this system but I figured it's future proof. Wondering what people think? I know the Rtia 9 aren't everyone's favorite but at their current price They seemed like a good deal. I did think if I went with a less power hungry speaker I could maybe save money on the amp- but then I was thinking thats my amp for life... I mainly just want for music right now and tack on rest if system for surround sound at a later date. But I can't stand listeners g to music thru tv speakers anymore.
2 x Polk RTI A9 $525 ea
Marantz NR1607 $500
Parasound 2250 $1000
I am quite certain that you can do better for the same $ (or less) on the speakers. As a quick example:
https://rbhsound.com/r55ti.php

In fact, you can likely do even better with a set of bookshelf speakers and a separate sub.

I think the Marantz is a solid choice, I do believe Yamaha has similar slim AVRs with similar features and connections (but no Audyssee).

I will second the choice on Parasound.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
  • I'm perfectly fine with avr selection, given physical restrictions
  • You may or may not need amp at all. It depends
  • At this budget you placed way too much money on electronics and not nearly enough on speakers
  • From Polk, I could only stand to listen to LSi or newer LSi/M speaker
My suggestion:
Keep the AVR in cart as is.
Remove amp and speakers.
here some ideas for other speakers:
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/ccb-8.html
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/cmt340m/cmt340m.html
and these:
https://www.powersoundaudio.com/products/mtm-210
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/speaker-subwoofer-reviews/113313-power-sound-audio-mtm-210-speaker-review.html#post1111641

I'd strongly suggest to consider budget for a sub

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
Maybe cut the amp budget in half and double the speaker budget. [edit] And, bsa beat me to it, with far more helpful details.

2channel lover

I think Everett has nailed it on the speakers.

To be honest, as much as I prefer separate power, you could ditch the power amp altogether and if you want floorstanders get a pair of Salks.

http://www.salksound.com/model.php?model=SongBird

The HSU book shelfs w/a sub is a great option as well.

The biggest thing I see is drop the amp and put that cash into speakers and or a sub.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

I think Everett has nailed it on the speakers.

To be honest, as much as I prefer separate power, you could ditch the power amp altogether and if you want floorstanders get a pair of Salks.

http://www.salksound.com/model.php?model=SongBird

The HSU book shelfs w/a sub is a great option as well.

The biggest thing I see is drop the amp and put that cash into speakers and or a sub.
The slim line AVR is modestly powered, so foregoing the amp would only be advisable if he goes with the more sensitive speaker options (which would free up funds for some subwoofage). The less sensitive Salks or BMRs beg for proper power. Tough choice, super quality mains, or more sensitive mains plus the ability to add a sub within current budget restrictions.

Hey Gmoneywp15, every rig/room/user has it's own idiosyncratic conditions which will help dictate how to spend your money for greatest results. Please tell us more about how you plan to use this...your listening habits and tastes, and specifics of your listening room (size, distances involved, general acoustics).

I don't think you could beat everettT's suggestion within your budget, but since you were prudent enough to ask about this prior to purchase, it may help hone your decision process.

Gmoneywp15

Gmoneywp15

Audioholic Intern
Wow. You guys rock. I assumed I'd get maybe 1 response to what must be a repetitious question. Thank you! So the room is 18x28, 1/2 the room has 9' ceiling the other half 15'. My system is along the 28' wall and therefore about 15' from where speakers will be to my couch. I'd love to have a 5.1 eventually to really enjoy movies, but what's really bothering me right now is music listening. A lot of times we just play one of those music channels from the tv. But with new Avr Im sure we will be using iPhones more.

I have two kids 2 and 6, so I have concerns about the 2 year old pushing floor standing over. I considered getting bookshelf speakers and wall mounting them. I assumed for the money I could get more bang for buck out I'd FS speakers.

I have a real cheap Polk sub in my basement, I can look into which one- but let's assume it cost $70 10 years ago. Guessing that is not a viable option if rest of system is decent.

2channel lover

The slim line AVR is modestly powered, so foregoing the amp would only be advisable if he goes with the more sensitive speaker options (which would free up funds for some subwoofage). The less sensitive Salks or BMRs beg for proper power. Tough choice, super quality mains, or more sensitive mains plus the ability to add a sub within current budget restrictions.

Hey Gmoneywp15, every rig/room/user has it's own idiosyncratic conditions which will help dictate how to spend your money for greatest results. Please tell us more about how you plan to use this...your listening habits and tastes, and specifics of your listening room (size, distances involved, general acoustics).

I don't think you could beat everettT's suggestion within your budget, but since you were prudent enough to ask about this prior to purchase, it may help hone your decision process.
You're right, it would help to know more specifics, but just based on what he had in the cart...he's looking for more than just the run of the mill audio system.

But, for the money spent I thought everett nailed it as well...hard to beat the Phils with the A300...best of both worlds in terms of speaker output and power.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I have a real cheap Polk sub in my basement, I can look into which one- but let's assume it cost $70 10 years ago. Guessing that is not a viable option if rest of system is decent.
Yes, small sub could be ok in office audio system or maybe bedroom, if you're not too serious about it.
These BMR speakers will play more lower bass and better than $70 polk sub :)
You may not even need a sub with them. I mentioned sub as it would more prudent to pair sub with HSU, Ascend or PSA speakers, not so much with BMRs.

One last thing, BMRs are rear ported so these won't be perfect wall mounted, too close to wall.

Gmoneywp15

Gmoneywp15

Audioholic Intern
IMG_1844.jpg
Yes, small sub could be ok in office audio system or maybe bedroom, if you're not too serious about it.
These BMR speakers will play more lower bass and better than $70 polk sub :)
You may not even need a sub with them. I mentioned sub as it would more prudent to pair sub with HSU, Ascend or PSA speakers, not so much with BMRs.

One last thing, BMRs are rear ported so these won't be perfect wall mounted, too close to wall.
That was my next question about BMR. Unfortunately I bought a wall mounted entertainment center that we really love- but I completely screwed up as it's dimensions are not great for HT. Ideally I would like to find bookshelf speakers that are less than 8" deep, they would fit perfect on the "wings" of entertainment wetainnent cebter. But I haven't been able to locate anything like that of quality. See photo of entertainment center I'm dealing with. I was going to put powered sub in unfinished basement directly beneath HT system. Whole point of which was to keep away from my 2 yo.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
View attachment 21035

That was my next question about BMR. Unfortunately I bought a wall mounted entertainment center that we really love- but I completely screwed up as it's dimensions are not great for HT. Ideally I would like to find bookshelf speakers that are less than 8" deep, they would fit perfect on the "wings" of entertainment wetainnent cebter. But I haven't been able to locate anything like that of quality. See photo of entertainment center I'm dealing with. I was going to put powered sub in unfinished basement directly beneath HT system. Whole point of which was to keep away from my 2 yo.
You can inquire with Dennis at philharmonic audio about front porting the BMRs for wall mount. It will add to the cost, but for a furniture grade finish it's worth asking. Finding good Speakers for the size limits is tough. Kinda throwing money away IMHO. If you want good stereo, make only the compromises that are absolutely necessary. Better, preamps, amps, etc will not make up for poor speakers.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I am quite certain that you can do better for the same $ (or less) on the speakers. As a quick example:
https://rbhsound.com/r55ti.php

In fact, you can likely do even better with a set of bookshelf speakers and a separate sub.

I think the Marantz is a solid choice, I do believe Yamaha has similar slim AVRs with similar features and connections (but no Audyssee).

I will second the choice on Parasound.
The RBH r55ti can also be purchased on Amazon just in case he needs to buy on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/RBH-Sound-R55TiR-Tower-Speaker/dp/B00PCZHNIU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1495735515&sr=8-1&keywords=rbh+r55ti

I also agree that the Marantz and Parasound are good choices.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I'm a bit confused as to whether the OP is wanting FS or BS speakers. His original screenshot showed towers. With a toddler running around, I tend to think the wall mount may be his best option all around, obviously that pushes towards BS.

Gmoneywp15

Gmoneywp15

Audioholic Intern
I'm a bit confused as to whether the OP is wanting FS or BS speakers. His original screenshot showed towers. With a toddler running around, I tend to think the wall mount may be his best option all around, obviously that pushes towards BS.
So I "think" I can childproof FS enough that they would be okay. But ideally you are right- BS is better.

I have now changed gears completely- I want wall mountable BS. Sorry for confusion, but my change in thinking is directly attributable to everyone's input.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
So I "think" I can childproof FS enough that they would be okay. But ideally you are right- BS is better.

I have now changed gears completely- I want wall mountable BS. Sorry for confusion, but my change in thinking is directly attributable to everyone's input.
If that's the case , check the bookshelves from philharmonic or browse Salk Sound for a monitor. Song surrounds, song mtm, etc. Just you need front ported or sealed , which will require a sub

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

No problem. Getting feedback from the forum and modifying your plan from our experience, that is exactly what this forum is here for.

You would be surprised how many people come here simply looking for validation for a terrible idea, then get butt hurt when we tell them to do this and not that.

There are some pretty decent in-wall options too, but I also think the wall mounted BS are a good choice!

I will chime in on the Phils--I own a pair of his previous Philharmonitors (not the BMRs), I think mine were rev2 and he is now on rev3. Mine are the "Alexis Rebecca" brand, no longer available as far as I know. Those really are some amazing speakers, especially at the $800 for the pair that I paid. I will say that I generally prefer my GE T2 in a large room, but in a smaller room the Phils are excellent! And, my T2s were about 3x the cost of the Phils, and I'm not saying that they are better and definitely not more accurate, I'm just saying the T2 fills a large room better.

For about 2x the price, I bet those BMRs are some top performers. But, be aware that they are NOT small by any means. Those may be too large to wall mount well, but I'm sure @Dennis Murphy can enlighten us on that topic.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So the room is 18x28, 1/2 the room has 9' ceiling the other half 15'. My system is along the 28' wall and therefore about 15' from where speakers will be to my couch.
That's a lot bigger than most typical living rooms.

I went from a 15W x 17L x 14H room to 22W x 26L x 14H room. My listening distance increased from about 11FT to about 19FT. My speakers are very big dynamic speakers and relatively sensitive (can play very loud).

Using the same speakers and electronics (amps, preamps), I can tell that I had to significantly turn up the volume to achieve the same level.

Just something else to think about. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis