Integrated VS Stereo Receiver?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Toslink also avoids interference problems with the cable picking up EMI. Even though it would have to be severe interference to harm a digi signal. Several reasons, it tends to be my preferred digi connection.

Yes, in my experience, Firewire is good. But, you just don't seem to see Firewire in many places.

I have a disdain for all USB connections, several reasons and past experiences. I use them, good luck avoiding it completely, but if I have another option then I will typically choose the other options. There are only 2 real advantages to USB: 1) It can carry both signal and power 2) They are ubiquitous
When it comes to audio the only role USB will ever play is to connect my PC to an external DAC. That is simply because USB can support higher sample rates than COAX and optical. HDMI can support those same rates, but it all depends on what you are trying to do.

I'm actually going to go the same route as the OP in this thread. My Onkyo is going to get removed from the not complete theater and moved into my office. I'll use Zone 2 to power my desktop speakers and the main zone to power the future 5.1 setup that will exist.

At least I'm going to try it.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I've "built" or more like "put together" 16 computers now.

So inserting a PC card and SDD is a walk in the park to me and some guys here. :D

There is a sense of PRIDE when you can do things yourself. :D

1. INSERT the Sound Card into the PCIe slot by pushing the card down towards the motherboard.
2. Tighten 1 screw into the screw slot of the Card to secure it to the PC case.
3. Update Windows to update the driver and automatically set the Sound Card as the Default Device. Or install the Driver from the supplied CD that came with the Sound Card.

I think the hardest part is making sure your Sound Card is the CORRECT card for your PC. It must fit into that PCIe slot.

The SSD is screwed to the adapter just like the YouTube video. Then the SSD+Adapter SLIDES into the HDD slots and is secured by screws (1-4 screws). Then you connect the cables to the SSD & Motherboard just like the YouTube video.

Extremely simple to me and some guys here.

But, I don't want to PRESSURE you into doing anything you just don't WANT to. :D

It's okay to let your friend do it for you or help you out. :D

I am guilty of buying the wrong parts before and had to return to Amazon (which is easy, but still requires going to the UPS). :D
No, I don't feel pressured at all. I may actually gives this a try sooner rather than later. No real hurry on my end. Just trying to savor the moment and enjoy what I am doing right now. Just ordered over 12 lbs. of all new cabling from Monoprice and said package is on its way to me as we speak. Thus, I have plenty of things to do to keep my busy. :):):)

Phil

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No, I don't feel pressured at all. I may actually gives this a try sooner rather than later. No real hurry on my end. Just trying to savor the moment and enjoy what I am doing right now. Just ordered over 12 lbs. of all new cabling from Monoprice and said package is on its way to me as we speak. Thus, I have plenty of things to do to keep my busy. :):):)

Phil
What have you used for cables in the past where you ditched all that and needed 12 additional pounds of such? BTW optical weighs less :)

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
What have you used for cables in the past where you ditched all that and needed 12 additional pounds of such? BTW optical weighs less :)
I have used a lot of Monoprice cabling in the past. The 12-lbs. is not just all cables. Just had a big order this go around. BTW, if I remember correctly I have (3) new optical cables coming. Not exactly sure if I will be using my (2) audio stands or not. That is why I ordered some extra cables. Trying to keep my options open somewhat. :):):)

Phil

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have used a lot of Monoprice cabling in the past. The 12-lbs. is not just all cables. Just had a big order this go around. BTW, if I remember correctly I have (3) new optical cables coming. Not exactly sure if I will be using my (2) audio stands or not. That is why I ordered some extra cables. Trying to keep my options open somewhat. :):):)

Phil
Phil, I know enough about your consuming habits.... :)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

Phil
Yeah, not that we are trying to pressure you into it, but most of us on here are fairly comfortable with these types of repairs and upgrades. Really, this stuff is pretty much trivial to most of us, so it seems a bit silly when a regular member has some aversion to something so simple. But, granted that if you have never opened up a PC case, then it is very intimidating.

Once you get it right the first time, you have added a new skill to your set. Likely saved a few $ too. And gained a sense of satisfaction.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
A long time ago I do recall thinking to myself that I would never open up a PC and install anything, much less build 15 PCs. :D

But after building one, and now 15 in total, I wouldn't do it any other way.

And inserting a new PC card or hard drive seems easier than a walk in the park. :D

But again, no pressure or worries. Everyone has his own PACE. When you are ready, you will know. ;)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
A long time ago I do recall thinking to myself that I would never open up a PC and install anything, much less build 15 PCs. :D

But after building one, and now 15 in total, I wouldn't do it any other way.

And inserting a new PC card or hard drive seems easier than a walk in the park. :D

But again, no pressure or worries. Everyone has his own PACE. When you are ready, you will know. ;)
My PC knowledge and experience came from necessity. PC stops working, time to troubleshoot.

Of course, seems like the Gen X'ers are more comfortable with this type of work, vs older generations, and to some extent younger generations.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
My PC knowledge and experience came from necessity. PC stops working, time to troubleshoot.

Of course, seems like the Gen X'ers are more comfortable with this type of work, vs older generations, and to some extent younger generations.
Yeah. My Generation-Z daughter may be the exception as she wanted me to teach her how to install the hard drive and install the Windows OS. But overall, I think you are right about the Generation X (including me, 2 brothers, and brother-in-law) being more comfortable with this PC work and the Generation Y & Z not comfortable or willing.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah. My Generation-Z daughter may be the exception as she wanted me to teach her how to install the hard drive and install the Windows OS. But overall, I think you are right about the Generation X (including me, 2 brothers, and brother-in-law) being more comfortable with this PC work and the Generation Y & Z not comfortable or willing.
I work in the semiconductor field, in the analytical labs. Every single piece of equipment is extremely intimidating at first, no way around that.

We may be talking about X-Ray generators, 1.5kW RF Plasma, 3000psi pressures, and all other sorts of high tech gear. Lots of stored energy and plenty of opportunity to hurt or kill yourself. Like I said, intimidating.

But, once you start reading the service manuals, actually taking off the covers and getting a look, turning wrenches, etc, you start to learn about it and the next thing you know, you are the expert and have high confidence in how to troubleshoot and make repairs.

But, it never gets easier on a new piece of equipment that you have never seen before, it's always the same uncertainty, intimidation, and apprehension at first.

The real key to troubleshooting and repairing complicated equipment is to break the system down into the sub-systems. Understand the function of each sub-system, and how it relates and communicates to the other sub-systems. Once you achieve that, you have simplified what once seemed complicated.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah, not that we are trying to pressure you into it, but most of us on here are fairly comfortable with these types of repairs and upgrades. Really, this stuff is pretty much trivial to most of us, so it seems a bit silly when a regular member has some aversion to something so simple. But, granted that if you have never opened up a PC case, then it is very intimidating.

Once you get it right the first time, you have added a new skill to your set. Likely saved a few $ too. And gained a sense of satisfaction.
Never have I ever opened up a computer case. I have seen them already open, but never opened up one myself. However, installing a sound card and/or ssd does look doable to me. Just getting everything plugged in is more of my concern due to my poor eyesight. Don't be surprised if I am on here asking for help.......LOL!!!! :p:p:p

Phil

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Never have I ever opened up a computer case. I have seen them already open, but never opened up one myself. However, installing a sound card and/or ssd does look doable to me. Just getting everything plugged is more of my concern due to my poor eyesight. Don't be surprised if I am on here asking for help.......LOL!!!! :p:p:p

Phil
https://www.amazon.com/Spectrum-Daylight-Magnifier-3-Diopter-VS40203B/dp/B00D5WM8EG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1495811886&sr=8-3&keywords=led+magnifying+lamp

https://www.amazon.com/SE-MH1047L-Illuminated-Multi-Power-Magnifier/dp/B003UCODIA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1495811949&sr=8-1&keywords=magnifying+goggles

I'm not being condescending here, I'm just pointing out tools that may help. I don't personally know enough about diabetic degradation. If the object is bigger (magnified), then it is easier to see the details?

Regardless, I have perfect eyesight in one eye, and 20/40 in the other. When I work on tiny stuff like surface mount devices, those are the tools that I need to help me to get it done.

EDIT: There are some nifty magnification apps on your smartphone that may help too. One of my friends had one, and it helped me to read the part # on a tiny IC.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I get the vision issues with opening a PC case and installing stuff, but I can tell you from 20+ years of doing pc repair, building and all the other crap I have had to learn to do that putting parts together is the easy part.

Truth be told they can only go in one way. If you have to force it, you are doing it wrong. If you try it I think you'll be shocked at how easy it actually is to put in a sound card. It either fits in the slot or it doesn't.

SSD is also simple, but cases built by Dell, HP, and the like can make something like that a bit more complicated for no reason. I've had issues with cases from big manufacturers before so I'm really hoping they've gone away from the screwy things they used to do.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Never have I ever opened up a computer case. I have seen them already open, but never opened up one myself.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step, which in this case is just taking the screws out and opening up the case. Then close the case back up and put the screws back on. Once you feel how easy that was, then you take the 2nd step. :D

Step#2: Then I did the next simple thing - unplugging the cables and immediately replugging the cables. Wow, that was simple - just unplug and replug.

That's how it was for me.

One day I got curious enough to open up an old PC. I figured it was an old PC anyway, so who cares? Once I realized how easy it was to open up the case, I started looking inside the case and saw that there was not much to it at all.

1. PC case
2. Motherboard (MB)
3. CPU
4. RAM
5. Hard Drive (HDD or SSD)
6. DVD-ROM
7. PSU (Power Supply to power the MB, SSD, DVD-ROM)

Next thing you know, I was buying PC parts from Amazon and putting together a PC. :D

Last edited:
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step, which in this case is just taking the screws out and opening up the case. Then close the case back up and put the screws back on. Once you feel how easy that was, then you take the 2nd step. :D

Step#2: Then I did the next simple thing - unplugging the cables and immediately replugging the cables. Wow, that was simple - just unplug and replug.

That's how it was for me.

One day I got curious enough to open up an old PC. I figured it was an old PC anyway, so who cares? Once I realized how easy it was to open up the case, I started looking inside the case and saw that there was not much to it at all.

1. PC case
2. Motherboard (MB)
3. CPU
4. RAM
5. Hard Drive (HDD or SSD)
6. DVD-ROM
7. PSU (Power Supply to power the MB, SSD, DVD-ROM)

Next thing you know, I was buying PC parts from Amazon and putting together a PC. :D
Sounds magical......LOL!!!!! :D:D:D No, I will get around to doing this once I get some funds together. Have went a bit over budget here lately. Besides, I do not move as fast as I used to.....LOL!!!! :p:p:p

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
https://www.amazon.com/Spectrum-Daylight-Magnifier-3-Diopter-VS40203B/dp/B00D5WM8EG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1495811886&sr=8-3&keywords=led+magnifying+lamp

https://www.amazon.com/SE-MH1047L-Illuminated-Multi-Power-Magnifier/dp/B003UCODIA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1495811949&sr=8-1&keywords=magnifying+goggles

I'm not being condescending here, I'm just pointing out tools that may help. I don't personally know enough about diabetic degradation. If the object is bigger (magnified), then it is easier to see the details?

Regardless, I have perfect eyesight in one eye, and 20/40 in the other. When I work on tiny stuff like surface mount devices, those are the tools that I need to help me to get it done.

EDIT: There are some nifty magnification apps on your smartphone that may help too. One of my friends had one, and it helped me to read the part # on a tiny IC.
I don't think that my eyes are that bad. :eek::eek::eek: At least not yet anyways. But, I do think installing a sound card and ssd is doable for the most part. However, money is a bit tight right now so it may be a little while before I do. For now, I can manage with what I have or have coming shall I say. :):):)

Phil

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Most desktop pc's built in sound chips within the last 10 years or so have had capable DACs and noise shielding, at least with the mid grade and up motherboards. In the case of the new HP I have, they even make mention of the noise shielding in the specs somewhere. I have been able to plug the headphone jack to RCA on older, and newer amps without so much as a hiss.

Audio quality has been competitive with pc's for quite some time now. Unless it is some bare bones, bulk buy, office box, or some bargain from an import ridden, box store, the sound chip contained on the board should be adequate.

Simply look up the sound chip on your computer's specs and research it.

Features

• Hardware Features
  • DACs with 95dB SNR (A-weighting), ADCs with 90dB SNR (A-weighting)
  • Ten DAC channels support 16/20/24-bit PCM format for 7.1 channel sound playback, plus 2 channels of concurrent independent stereo sound output (multiple streaming) through the front panel output
  • Two stereo ADCs support 16/20/24-bit PCM format, multiple stereo recording
  • All DACs supports 44.1k/48k/96k/192kHz sample rate
  • All ADCs supports 44.1k/48k/96k/192kHz sample rate
  • Primary 16/20/24-bit SPDIF-OUT supports 32k/44.1k/48k/88.2k/96k/192kHz sample rate
  • Secondary 16/20/24-bit SPDIF-OUT supports 32k/44.1k/48k/88.2k/96k/192kHz sample rate

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Most desktop pc's built in sound chips within the last 10 years or so have had capable DACs and noise shielding, at least with the mid grade and up motherboards. In the case of the new HP I have, they even make mention of the noise shielding in the specs somewhere. I have been able to plug the headphone jack to RCA on older, and newer amps without so much as a hiss.

Audio quality has been competitive with pc's for quite some time now. Unless it is some bare bones, bulk buy, office box, or some bargain from an import ridden, box store, the sound chip contained on the board should be adequate.

Simply look up the sound chip on your computer's specs and research it.

Features

• Hardware Features
  • DACs with 95dB SNR (A-weighting), ADCs with 90dB SNR (A-weighting)
  • Ten DAC channels support 16/20/24-bit PCM format for 7.1 channel sound playback, plus 2 channels of concurrent independent stereo sound output (multiple streaming) through the front panel output
  • Two stereo ADCs support 16/20/24-bit PCM format, multiple stereo recording
  • All DACs supports 44.1k/48k/96k/192kHz sample rate
  • All ADCs supports 44.1k/48k/96k/192kHz sample rate
  • Primary 16/20/24-bit SPDIF-OUT supports 32k/44.1k/48k/88.2k/96k/192kHz sample rate
  • Secondary 16/20/24-bit SPDIF-OUT supports 32k/44.1k/48k/88.2k/96k/192kHz sample rate
Thanks for the info. Will keep this post in mind when getting everything all setup. It is most appreciated!

Cheers,

Phil

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis