Strange Room, High Expectations, Medium Budget

L

Lee Ridout

Audiophyte
The walls on each side of the couch are 12 feet apart. The couch is 13 feet from the screen and the sheetrock ceiling where I could mount the 6803s is about 12 feet back from the couch making the placement about 13 feet away.

The RCL speakers are behind the screen. I will put two 6800s in the wall on each side of the couch.

The open basement area with all of its twists and turns is around 900 square feet.

http://imgur.com/a/hnUC2

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
8 ft ceiling makes it 7200 cuft, 10 ft would make it 9000 cuft....both very large for a lightweight 12" sub. You capable of DIY?

L

Lee Ridout

Audiophyte
What does that mean? Did you just get L337 on me? The wife, kids and friends are already enjoying the 2.1 so...

What I am reading so far is that an upgrade in sub will help in the future. And the aimed 6803s will do the job but I should look at sound dampening above the speaker.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
By capable of DIY (do it yourself), he means doing some woodwork to build your own cabinets for the sub including cutting a circle in the front with jigsaw (or, preferably) router for the speaker. Also, there are some kits that you assemble. Some you have to cut the circle, the others you must use the driver they are designed for or be sure your driver fits the hole and does not interfere with bracing:
https://www.parts-express.com/cat/subwoofer-speaker-cabinets/289

But the best savings is to build a larger box yourself. When paired with an appropriate driver, the larger box will be more efficient with more output.

Much of the cost of a sub is from the shipping weight.
The DIY guys here can direct you for designs to make sure the driver & cabinet (& amp) are compatible with each other.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/audio/diy-corner-tips-techniques.22/

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, your large volume room needs consideration, try this article http://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/subwoofer-room-size

Just suggested DIY as it can be very cost effective for subwoofers but especially so for multiple subwoofers with the right sub/amp options out there. There are even kits you can literally glue together and use a simple electric drill to mount driver and terminals with, as offered by parts-express.com or diysoundgroup.com (the latter doesn't sell sub drivers, but same supplier for the boxes at parts-express).

If you have some very basic woodworking skills and tools a sealed box isn't that hard to build, I'm proof :), ported designs can be a little more involved but not rocket science. Tapped horns get more like rocket science :)

L

Lee Ridout

Audiophyte
AH! I totally read that post as a raised eyebrow to my current handy work and speaker choice. Words like "fartbox" were getting thrown around and it was starting to get weird ;-) I was poking fun back.

I am a game designer who is doing this as a fun project that the family can enjoy. And I know I am not going to build the best setup. It has been super fun and educational so far. The room shape and size cant be changed and will always be a limiting factor. The sub I have does make the system sound and feel better; to the tune of about $200. I assumed, due to the room shape and size, that an investment in a better sub would be me throwing money at a $1000+ sub only to have the room kill its performance.

I will take a look at the DIY article. I am capable but my wife may kill that particular project when she hears what I intend to do ;-)

Thank you again!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
AH! I totally read that post as a raised eyebrow to my current handy work and speaker choice. Words like "fartbox" were getting thrown around and it was starting to get weird ;-) I was poking fun back.

I am a game designer who is doing this as a fun project that the family can enjoy. And I know I am not going to build the best setup. It has been super fun and educational so far. The room shape and size cant be changed and will always be a limiting factor. The sub I have does make the system sound and feel better; to the tune of about $200. I assumed, due to the room shape and size, that an investment in a better sub would be me throwing money at a $1000+ sub only to have the room kill its performance.

I will take a look at the DIY article. I am capable but my wife may kill that particular project when she hears what I intend to do ;-)

Thank you again!
While even a low end sub (which is what yours is in the larger scheme of things) should be an improvement over what the speakers alone can offer, but subs act differently in rooms than speakers due to the Schroeder frequency effect....try this article. The shape doesn't actually mean that much, although the dimensions of the room are part of the equation to an extent. Your very large room is more than your current sub can fill essentially; multiple larger subs are needed for best performance. It may or may not be interesting to you, though....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis