Status
Not open for further replies.
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Even sillier to shop for electronics or cables in general to provide "warmth" or "brightness".

S

Strum und Drang

Enthusiast
Speaker cable is supposed to deliver signal unchanged. If the signal changes because of cable imo the cable is faulty in this case. Of course if the cable is made so it will change the sound with filter then it can do so. But in most cases the cables are just claimed to deliver more pure signal and what not non sense.
"Speaker cable is supposed to deliver signal unchanged." That is your premise and mine too, but not everyone operates under those rules of engagement. At the Polk forum, someone just commented on how they used MIT speaker wires to tame their RTI A7s and CSI A6. The problems that those speaker wires "fixed" do not exist in my RTI A5s, CSI A6 and RTI A1s! Who knows what other problems that gent may have introduced that now needs fixing by the speaker wires. My speakers sound wonderful with 12 gauge OFC CL2 speaker wire. Many at that forum claim everything in the system (amp, dac, blu-ray player, etc "colors" the sound and, so, why should speaker wire be any different?

I personally believe that many people would not be able to pass a DBT on their wire, but some could, especially if the wire does change the sound. It is not a safe assumption to assume all wire sounds the same. MIT puts an interface into the speaker wire. Does that interface change the sound? Many claim it does and spend big bucks on MIT gear. I would rather change the sound by buying some spendy bookshelf speakers. All my speakers sound a little to much different, from the runts to the big ones.

Has anyone at this forum ever argued that all speakers should sound the same? Maybe on planet Pluto they do.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
It's amazing how much money these mystic snake oil zealots could save if they'd just invest in a calibrated measurement mic and spend a little time learning how to use REW. And if something needs tamed, they either need acoustic panels or better designed speakers. Boutique wires offer nothing but placebo gains and the bragging rights of decadent exclusivity. Anyone who claims otherwise should either post measurement graphs contrasting the quantifiable difference, or stfu.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
It's amazing how much money these mystic snake oil zealots could save if they'd just invest in a calibrated measurement mic and spend a little time learning how to use REW. And if something needs tamed, they either need acoustic panels or better designed speakers. Boutique wires offer nothing but placebo gains and the bragging rights of decadent exclusivity. Anyone who claims otherwise should either post measurement graphs contrasting the quantifiable difference, or stfu.
But why spend a hundred bucks on a mic to prove 2500 dollar cables(or more) are a waste? Rofl! You or I might do that, but they'd just say whatever differences they hear are unmeasurable. Brain is on fire now, can't focus. Lol

S

Strum und Drang

Enthusiast
Instead of the mic, I need to invest in a SPL meter. Then I can calibrate how long I can listen at X level before I deafinitely go deaf. Then again, what I don't know can't hurt me (is that a double negative?).

S

Strum und Drang

Enthusiast
I actually like my 2.1 channel set-up just fine. "If it ain't broke, I ain't gonna break it!" I wonder how many people that chose audio over sending their kids to private school give their set-ups failing grades, despite the coin they expended? Some are too insatiable to ever be happy. The perfectionist only sees imperfections. The main thing is the music. The end game in buying all this stuff is to be able to enjoy the music. I am there!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Instead of the mic, I need to invest in a SPL meter. Then I can calibrate how long I can listen at X level before I deafinitely go deaf. Then again, what I don't know can't hurt me (is that a double negative?).
Yep it is. But funny!
If it ain't broke, I ain't gonna break it! That's a good one too. In my house, if it ain't broke, I ain't done yet.

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
MIT products are equalization units with attached cables. They are not part of a cable discussion.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
MIT products are equalization units with attached cables. They are not part of a cable discussion.
Oh, but I seriously doubt that eq is in the audio band. They may want you to believe that but I seriously doubt it is. I'd like to see a FR plot in the audio band for that cable.

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
I too would like to see some FR plots of MIT (EQ) cables.
It would require a real big box for speaker (EQ) cables, but for interconnect (EQ) cables it's doable.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
What a joke. Somebody wrote "audio tourism" in the comments. That's about right. I guess there's an A$$ for every seat.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
So I've decided to go into business for myself. Anyone who wants to join feel free.

The main things we need to focus on is brushed aluminum that we can get CNCd into a hollow box that we'll put either bricks or old metal into (glued down so it feels "solid"). Heavy = quality after all.

Then we'll need to get some not-monoprice cables and sleeve them. We'll need to make sure they are comically short so you have to buy an "extender" hollow box to have your "custom" cable length built by our core of engineers (us) and have them verified to be flatten, sparklify, warm, or cool to the user's specification (all this means pack in a velvet lined box).

We will never measure our cables because feelings aren't scientifically measurable right? If the users feel that the cable is better then I feel that it is perfectly acceptable to take their hard earned cash.

One thing we can do as a trade secret is literally spray some snake oil into the box. That'll be our little inside joke.

Who's with me? :rolleyes:

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
So I've decided to go into business for myself. Anyone who wants to join feel free.

The main things we need to focus on is brushed aluminum that we can get CNCd into a hollow box that we'll put either bricks or old metal into (glued down so it feels "solid"). Heavy = quality after all.

Then we'll need to get some not-monoprice cables and sleeve them. We'll need to make sure they are comically short so you have to buy an "extender" hollow box to have your "custom" cable length built by our core of engineers (us) and have them verified to be flatten, sparklify, warm, or cool to the user's specification (all this means pack in a velvet lined box).

We will never measure our cables because feelings aren't scientifically measurable right? If the users feel that the cable is better then I feel that it is perfectly acceptable to take their hard earned cash.

One thing we can do as a trade secret is literally spray some snake oil into the box. That'll be our little inside joke.

Who's with me? :rolleyes:
somehow you have to work in some maple wood parts. Mapleshade.com tells us everything is better with maple in it. Perhaps you could build little maple stands for the cables? Cables always sound better when they are elevated on little stands. Of course, you wouldn't use actual maple, that would cost too much. Just use scrap wood and stain it maple.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yep. The company can be called mapleunium. The best of maple and aluminum. You wanna talk about sparlify(that was really good btw). That should do it. And then we'll have bucks maplumivators(cable elevators), mounted on wood blocks(whatever's cheap), and stained accordingly. Oh the possibilities...

bigus

bigus

Audioholic
What really upsets me is the money these audiophools will spend on cables that could do some actual good put into my system!

Does anyone wanna buy my cables for $500/ft? I'll swear they sound better than regular cables, stick 'em in my freezer for month and rub them on the carpet to get rid of any static charge. I can even fashion lifters out of some clothespins I have that will hold the cables off the floor, whatever that's supposed to do. Also willing to make outlandish claims that defy their physical properties... I want a new receiver.

I have my systems.
I have my 2 channel in parallel with my home theatre.

My 2 channel is:
Tannoy XT 8F
Primaluna Prologue Premium Preamp
Primaluna Dialogue 4
Marantz CD6005
Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6 V2
Teac UD-301
PLX-1000 turntable
Lehmann Black Cube

Not exactly high end. I would think Mid-Fi.

My Home theatre with the fronts passed through my 2 channel preamp
Epson 3020
92" inch screen
Marantz SR7007 (setup with mic)
Oppo BDP-93
2x Paradigm seismic 110 (both setup with Perfect Bass Kit)
Martin Logan Encore Center
True Audio in-wall rear speakers

I've had this setup for a while.
Perfectly fine. But I feel it could be better.
That's where the cables came in.
My pre-outs from the Receiver to my preamp is where I heard it first.
For some it will be the pre-outs from the receiver to the power amps.

I've had Nordost in my system for a while.
My 2 channel has all Nordost.
I switched my speaker cables to the Red Dawn and haven't looked back.

An excellent cable.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
I have my systems.

My 2 channel is:
Tannoy XT 8F
Primaluna Dialogue 4
Marantz CD6005
Teac UD-301
PLX-1000 turntable
Lehmann Black Cube

Epson 3020
92" inch screen
Oppo BDP-93

An excellent cable.
Great! You know what would make your sound really open up is some cable risers. Elevate your cables off the floor to minimize the signal bias introduced by the static electricity in nylon carpet fibers. I've got some of my daughter's wooden building blocks some all natural acoustic dampening isolation risers I'll sell you for only $500 if you're interested. If you like I can have my daughter put glitter stickers on them spelling out N-O-R-D-O-S-T (and possibly a unicorn or other adornments as she feels optimize the aesthetics) for an extra $150. Just let me know.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I have my systems.

My 2 channel is:
Tannoy XT 8F
Primaluna Dialogue 4
Marantz CD6005
Teac UD-301
PLX-1000 turntable
Lehmann Black Cube

Epson 3020
92" inch screen
Oppo BDP-93

An excellent cable.
Wanna buy some better ones? I have cables that interact with the 4th and 5th dimensions on a quantum scale. They're able to pull harmonics from those extra dimensions that previously went unheard before. I take specially braided cable and cryogenically treat it to align the crystal structure before I then treat them with microwaves, then a short burst of gamma rays.

This technique excites the flux capacitant properties of our special design and creates an entanglement on a quantum scale that allows them to access the 4th and 5th dimensions. Very cutting edge stuff. You will notice improvements with my cables. Wider soundstage, more depth and near pinpoint imaging and accuracy. Let me know if you're interested and we can start talking price.

bigus

bigus

Audioholic
Great! You know what would make your sound really open up is some cable risers. Elevate your cables off the floor to minimize the signal bias introduced by the static electricity in nylon carpet fibers. I've got some of my daughter's wooden building blocks some all natural acoustic dampening isolation risers I'll sell you for only $500 if you're interested. If you like I can have my daughter put glitter stickers on them spelling out N-O-R-D-O-S-T (and possibly a unicorn or other adornments as she feels optimize the aesthetics) for an extra $150. Just let me know.
Jealous?
You sound like you want to take the plunge but can't afford it....

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I told myself I wasn't going to respond.
@rojo that was great!
Poges, I've been using your 4th dimension cables for some time now. But in a slightly different fashion. Clip the negative lead to your ear lobe. Then stuff the positive lead into your ear canal until it just makes contact with the ear drum. Man, it's so realistic. Goon squad FTW!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis