Once again: what are you listening to now? Part 2.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
given what kind of music you normally post in this thread, I'd say that's quite a departure.
I have a few country albums. Mostly acquired when I thought I was buying something else.:cool:
I can tolerate it, just like classical. But, I don't normally seek it out.
You are doing the right thing however paying your WAF dues.
Keep your wife happy, and everything else just sounds better and tastes better.
Yes indeed.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Heard this on the radio today, after more than a few years. Had to do it when I got home lol!!!
Andrew WK

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Hah! Darius Rucker. Hootie himself lol.
I can't hardly listen to this song without thinking about my own little girl. Gets me sometimes.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Hah! Darius Rucker. Hootie himself lol.
I can't hardly listen to this song without thinking about my own little girl. Gets me sometimes.
I really liked Hootie and the Blowfish. He has some really good songs. IIRC he has a couple grammys. I just don't like country. I can tolerate it, and some of it has some decent bass, but yeah. Not my first choice. Second or third either.

At least he doesn't sing like a country singer.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I really liked Hootie and the Blowfish. He has some really good songs. IIRC he has a couple grammys. I just don't like country. I can tolerate it, and some of it has some decent bass, but yeah. Not my first choice. Second or third either.

At least he doesn't sing like a country singer.
Yeah hootie was fun. I am also not a lover of country( but my 9yr twins are). Darius's music sounds like country at least. Most of the new junk is just some backing track with some hayseed country rappin' about his stupid tailgate and gettin a buzz and Dillon her cup blah blah blah. I do like me some zakk brown though. He did some collaboration with Dave grohl and chris Cornell(probably lots of others too) on a recent album.
Changing gears...

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah hootie was fun. I am also not a lover of country( but my 9yr twins are). Darius's music sounds like country at least. Most of the new junk is just some backing track with some hayseed country rappin' about his stupid tailgate and gettin a buzz and Dillon her cup blah blah blah. I do like me some zakk brown though. He did some collaboration with Dave grohl and chris Cornell(probably lots of others too) on a recent album.
Changing gears...
Agreed. New country drives me bonkers. Cookie cutter CGQ models with the same tribal tattoos, same moves as the hip hop stuff and the same sound. There's a couple guys at work who listen to it and there's this one song, where the guy can't possibly be "burnin it down" anymore. Just when you think the lyric is going to change, there he is, "burnin it down" some more.

I grew up with some country music, but it was more of the outlaw class. Willie, Waylon, Hank Jr. and David Allen Coe.

But I DO like this guy!

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
And the dude has some serious chops on the guit-steel. :D

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Haha! Jason aldean burning it down. Lol. The worst part is there's a bunch of guys sitting in a room, writing all this crap and selling it to these guys. You'd think they'd get tired of saying the same thing.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Haha! Jason aldean burning it down. Lol. The worst part is there's a bunch of guys sitting in a room, writing all this crap and selling it to these guys. You'd think they'd get tired of saying the same thing.
lol. . . I shouldn't say anything. A lot of people hate what I listen to but some of what's out today is so blatantly commercially obvious. It's the same shtick that sells us our other consumer goods and our politics too and I'm just annoyed by things geared towards the attention spans of average 10 year olds.

At least it's still possible to 'opt out' with a little effort if one so chooses. So, I am thankful for that.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
This one really gets me every time I listen to it. Heavy and melodic. Probably more the former...

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
lol. . . I shouldn't say anything. A lot of people hate what I listen to but some of what's out today is so blatantly commercially obvious. It's the same shtick that sells us our other consumer goods and our politics too and I'm just annoyed by things geared towards the attention spans of average 10 year olds.

At least it's still possible to 'opt out' with a little effort if one so chooses. So, I am thankful for that.
I really loved the Junior Brown cuts. To say I don't care much for country is the epitome of understatement. Look at the dichotomy between what he's doing on stage and what the typical packaged band the industry is selling these days is doing.

Junior is up there with a handmade guitar, that's not super special but his is hardwired to a classic fender amp. Not even a nod to wireless. His bass player is playing a big butt real stringed bass. His drummer is simply using brushes on a snare drum. His rhythm guitar lady is using an acoustic plastic stringed guitar.
Did I mention they are all wearing suits? Oh, and he's playing the s-h-i-t out of that steel guitar. That takes talent and that's the main thing that's setting him apart from the musical crowd.

Thanks for those clips. I really enjoyed that guy. Now I have to add him to my list as I make a trip to the used CD store this week.

Last edited:
Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
This one really gets me every time I listen to it. Heavy and melodic. Probably more the former...

Pogre
Glad to see you've returned to your normal musical senses. I was afraid I'd was going to see some Buck Owens in a sequined jacket.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Pogre
Glad to see you've returned to your normal musical senses. I was afraid I'd was going to see some Buck Owens in a sequined jacket.
Heh.

I really did like the last 2 Mr boat posted though. I agree with your sentiment. Spot on with what I was thinking. I can appreciate good musicianship no matter the genre. There just isn't much of it in country music. Especially the modern stuff.

I do like my heavy though. I can listen to it all day.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No, can't say that I have. I will look it up.
Maybe try Hedges' Breakfast in the Field, Aerial Boundaries and Live at the Double Planet; not as familiar with Kaki King but similar style, I only have Everybody Loves You.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I like a guy who can play music against type: Like Junior Brown playing the blues.
Here's a great cut. MrBoat just introduced us to Junior Brown this morning, but I've been having a good time with him since.

Junior Brown. Guit Blues

To quote Junior : "I've been walking through the barnyard baby, Now I got it all over my shoes".
Where can you find high quality, soulful lyrics like that in mainstream country?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Guess whose turn it is again...

She just got the cd yesterday. I get on a kick sometimes and I'll play a cd or two on a loop for hours. I think this is her revenge.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Guess whose turn it is again...

She just got the cd yesterday. I get on a kick sometimes and I'll play a cd or two on a loop for hours. I think this is her revenge.
At least there's eye candy in the video :D

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I gotta say, it sounds nice on my system. Seems to be mixed and recorded well. Doesn't mean I like the song, it just sounds nice.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis