Marcus Oakley's "Best Recommendation" Questions

M

marcus oakley

Audioholic
hi all

i am after using my rbh impressions speaker package with a denon 6200 to make a 11.4 system i need a 3 channel external amp to power the fronts and centre the rest to the denon in peoples opion what would be the best 3 channel amp to use thanks

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I believe a cost effective one might be the Emotiva XPA Gen3. Configured for 3 channels it lists for $1,199.

You could get Crown mono amps for a little less but could be a little more complicated to setup.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The "made in USA" Monoprice Monolith amp represents outstanding value at $1099.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=109&cp_id=10919&cs_id=1091903&p_id=15594&seq=1&format=2&gclid=CjwKEAiAoaXFBRCNhautiPvnqzoSJABzHd6heRtrCh316PYWwcURsNUH-ahpiTdrF29uaJ9IJHYz5RoC2Mzw_wcB

However, I'd be very tempted to pay another $200 for the 5 channel version (or $400 more for the 7 channel version) and off load more channels:
https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=109&cp_id=10919&cs_id=1091903&p_id=15593&seq=1&format=2&gclid=CjwKEAiAoaXFBRCNhautiPvnqzoSJABzHd6hq5j6_vBDafH1JVXQsx5MixrQ-EDMAds9lFbQh19E4xoCOYbw_wcB

It seems pretty safe to say it is built by the highly regarded amp manufacturer, ATI.
Another source of unease is the fact that one can pretty plainly see upon close inspection that Monoprice's Monolith 7 isn't a wholly original design. A cursory glance reveals more than a passing resemblance to ATI's AT2007 power amplifier. The power switch is the same. The power entry module is identical in form and position. Ignoring the faceplate, even their chassis are startlingly similar. And I'll be darned if I can tell the innards of the two amps apart based on the images I've seen of both, aside from a few minor differences.

Dig deeper, and the similarities become even more striking. Their specs are virtually identical--from their Class AB design and power rating of 200 watts per channel (with all seven channels driven, 20 Hz to 20 kHz, into eight ohms) to their signal-to-noise ratio (greater than 120 dB below rated FTC Full Bandwidth Power, A-weighted) to their Total Harmonic Distortion ("Less than 0.03 percent at full rated FTC power" and "Less than 0.005 percent at full EIA power at 1 kHz") to their Intermodulation Distortion ("Less than 0.03 percent at full rated FTC power" and "Less than 0.005 percent at full EIA power at 1 kHz). Even the verbiage of the specs is identical, and a mere two-tenths of a pound sets these 93-pound beasts apart in terms of reported weight. Their power supply design is the same. Their toroidal transformers look the same. Their thump-free start feature is the same. Their circuit boards? I dare you to tell one from the other. Even the fonts and symbols on the backs of the amps are identical in most respects.

Given Monoprice's previous legal troubles (aka the Energy Take Classic Kerfuffle of 2013), all of the above may raise an eyebrow or two, but consider this: ATI has a long history of making amps for other manufacturers. Indeed, the Outlaw Model 7700, well known to be the result of a partnership between ATI and Outlaw, is also a close match to both the AT2007 and the Monoprice Monolith 7 in terms of aesthetics and specs. The major difference is that the ATI and Outlaw amps are fully balanced, whereas the Monoprice amp is single-ended. That alone does point to some significant internal differences and could account for a significant chunk of the difference in price between them.

Monoprice also reports that the Monolith 7 is "designed, engineered, tested and assembled in the USA," which is exactly one word and a comma away from ATI's assurance of the pedigree of its own amps.

So take all of that for what you will.
http://hometheaterreview.com/monoprice-monolith-7-seven-channel-amplifier-reviewed/

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I think you can use PC-2000s with VTF15h mk2s without a problem. The VTF15h mk2s are a lot more powerful, but the PC-2000s will not struggle to keep up with them, because the PC-2000s can not be made to struggle at all. They are very well-controlled and well-behaved subwoofers, so I think you can use them in setups with more powerful subs without penalty, whereas I wouldn't normally recommend subwoofers with greatly differing dynamic ranges.

M

marcus oakley

Audioholic
hi all i know i have posted about subs before i have the rbh impressions series speakers and a denon 6200w amp using 4 r55ti as front and rears r56ci centre r5bi as extra rears 4 mc 815 in ceiling speakers

i need 4 subs i want in people opion the best gut wrenching bone crunching low frequency subs that would work the very best wih the rbh impressions speakers thanks

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Having budget and room size would help a lot to give suggestions.

M

marcus oakley

Audioholic
the budget doesnt matter room size over 4000 sq ft 70% movies 30%music thanks

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If I were spending your money I'd get these or maybe these or maybe these :) Any subwoofer will blend with your speakers, it's a matter of technique in integration, not inherent qualities of the speaker or sub...

S

Steve M

Junior Audioholic
I have the pc 2000 and love it you cant tell where the base is comming from its sweet ,but also have the hsu ULS 15 mk2 and love it and perfer it , they do play well together and i can make the pc struggle but only at very loud levels of music and i can not judge or compare the pc 2000 on movies as its not used for that , I am goning to step up to pc 12 plus or the pc 13 ultra

M

marcus oakley

Audioholic
hi all

i have just bough a 2nd system 4rbh r55ti fronts and rears r56ci centre r5bi as exra rears 4 rbh mc-815 in ceiling speakers that will be connected to a denon 6200 i want to connect the fronts and centre to another power amp so i can run 11.4

i have narrowed it down to either monoprice monolith 7 channel amp or the xpa emotiva 7 channel gen3 amp

in peoples opion what would work the best for sound quality dynamics bass cleanest sounding of the two what would be the better match with the speakers

i will be using two svs pc13 ultra subs and 2 hsu vtf 15hmk2 subs thanks

M

marcus oakley

Audioholic
i will want 7 channels so it is future upgradable for more speakers

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Why would you expect them to be distinguishable sonically?

M

marcus oakley

Audioholic
hi all

i am after setting up a 3rd system i will be using a denon 6200w and a emotiva xpa3 gen3 amp with blue jeans cables for speakers and interconnects and a oled 65ec6v tv a oppo 205 4k player ps4 pro console wii console and the new xbox one console and the nvidia shield console

my question is i want in peoples opion the very best components for £7500 to make a 11.4 hometheatre system using the above components i have bought already i want the very very very best components to use
i want the very best bang for the buck system on the planet

my room is 30x30x25

i watch 75% movies 25% music

i like my all out action movies horror scifi war movies and comedy

for music i like pop rave techno hip hop r&b house heavy metal classical orchestral

i paticulary like drums guitar bass flute piano saxaphone keyboard

i want 4 subs
i want it to sound AWESOME for films and music thanks

markyboy156 is online now Report Post
Edit Quote Multi-Quote Quick Reply
Reply Speakers

Edit Tags
Tags
None

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
hi all

i am after setting up a 3rd system i will be using a denon 6200w and a emotiva xpa3 gen3 amp with blue jeans cables for speakers and interconnects and a oled 65ec6v tv a oppo 205 4k player ps4 pro console wii console and the new xbox one console and the nvidia shield console

my question is i want in peoples opion the very best components for £7500 to make a 11.4 hometheatre system using the above components i have bought already i want the very very very best components to use
i want the very best bang for the buck system on the planet

my room is 30x30x25

i watch 75% movies 25% music

i like my all out action movies horror scifi war movies and comedy

for music i like pop rave techno hip hop r&b house heavy metal classical orchestral

i paticulary like drums guitar bass flute piano saxaphone keyboard

i want 4 subs
i want it to sound AWESOME for films and music thanks
Look to the BK Electronics Monolith Plus for the subs, and probably Revel if you want to be all matchy-matchy, using the same brand for in-ceilings and surrounds as your LCR. If you don't obsess over such things, then the KEF R series and the XTZ Sound Cinema series would be worth checking out as well.

To manage four subs, plan to get a miniDSP and 4way Adv plugin to manage them, or a similar DSP (Behringer DCX2496 for example).

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
I would also look for BK Electronics for subs and either KEF R series or Genelec for speakers.

M

marcus oakley

Audioholic
hi all

i have been on amazon.com

there is a seller who is selling a
OLED65C6P for $1801.09

the seller is called courtney stone has 100% positive feedback from 2 ratings

but you must email the seller first before buying at PCGarageInc( a-t )gmail com

in your opions should i buy or does the item seem fake

what would you do

and has anybody else bought items from amazon where you have to email he seller first before you can buy it thanks

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
This isn't something which can be answered by others easily. You've done your research on the display, and if this is what you want, then picking a seller to buy from is up to you. One-off shops which sell below the pricing of others should always be questioned. You may not have a warranty on it if LG doesn't allow for third party sellers. You may get the wrong product, like the 55" version, then what do you do?

If Amazon is going to stand behind the seller, then I'm not sure if you really have an issue, but Amazon doesn't always do that with every seller.

I purchase from Amazon all the time. I've purchased televisions and projectors and other big ticket items. I've never had an issue.

But, I've never purchased from a thrid party seller.

Certainly emailing them shouldn't be an issue. But, considering that there are very slim margins on most televisions sold (10% - 20% markup), it's an unrealistic price. So, it's likely a typo. That is, it's probably the 55" or there is something else going on.

In most cases of incredibly low prices, there is some scheme to get more money from you or the order doesn't ship to you. I get the concept of saving a few bucks, but I also want acceptable return policies, the product I actually ordered, and support if something goes wrong with the order.

Start with that email, it will give you solid insight into what to expect. If they end up trying to run a transaction outside of Amazon for this, then something is fishy.

camelot1971

camelot1971

Audioholic Intern
Any item that requires to you to email outside of Amazon is a scam. There's loads on there, unfortunately. They'll ask you to pay outside of Amazon too, probably via Western Union, and your money is gone forever.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis