Can't get sound with HD antenna

A

Agiletiger

Audiophyte
I installed an HD antenna recently. The picture looks great but the only way I can get sound is through the built in TV speakers. I have not been able to get sound in any of the following ways:

1. TV optical out is connected to my DAC. Only gets clicking noise. Works fine with Apple TV, Blu Ray, and cable before we disconnected it.
2. Tried using every analogue interconnect I own from TV to amplifier. Nothing. Each interconnect works fine with record player and DAC into amp.

What could possibly be wrong? What else could I try?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I installed an HD antenna recently. The picture looks great but the only way I can get sound is through the built in TV speakers. I have not been able to get sound in any of the following ways:

1. TV optical out is connected to my DAC. Only gets clicking noise. Works fine with Apple TV, Blu Ray, and cable before we disconnected it.
2. Tried using every analogue interconnect I own from TV to amplifier. Nothing. Each interconnect works fine with record player and DAC into amp.

Go into the TV's menu and look for Sound, then set the TV's output to PCM.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

What is the TV? This sounds as if it might be a digital rights management issue.
May be the TV blocks audio out from over air, as there is no HDMI interface, which has copy protection.

If your TV is outputting PCM as suggested above, then this probably is a DRM issue.

You might have to purchase a DVR, I have a Channel Master. That way the over air signal goes from DVR to TV via HDMI.

The rules for audio out from TVs via SPDIF are complex in the HDCP codes. The broadcasters can add flags to inhibit audio out from TVs. So this is a possibility. If other sources and your old cable boxes had no issue, then I suspect that this is most likely a DRM issue. Anything connected to the TV via HDMI will have had copy protection in the transfer. An over air signal to a TV would not, except for broadcasters or the TV manufacturer to inhibit audio out from over air signals. See what your TV manual has to say about it.

If you can't solve it, I can be pretty certain, an external tuner or DVR will solve it. In any event having a dual DVR like the Channel Master unit, really adds to the enjoyment and flexibility of over air watching, and in my view is really part of the basics of over air TV viewing.

A

Agiletiger

Audiophyte
What is the TV? This sounds as if it might be a digital rights management issue.
May be the TV blocks audio out from over air, as there is no HDMI interface, which has copy protection.

If your TV is outputting PCM as suggested above, then this probably is a DRM issue.

You might have to purchase a DVR, I have a Channel Master. That way the over air signal goes from DVR to TV via HDMI.

The rules for audio out from TVs via SPDIF are complex in the HDCP codes. The broadcasters can add flags to inhibit audio out from TVs. So this is a possibility. If other sources and your old cable boxes had no issue, then I suspect that this is most likely a DRM issue. Anything connected to the TV via HDMI will have had copy protection in the transfer. An over air signal to a TV would not, except for broadcasters or the TV manufacturer to inhibit audio out from over air signals. See what your TV manual has to say about it.

If you can't solve it, I can be pretty certain, an external tuner or DVR will solve it. In any event having a dual DVR like the Channel Master unit, really adds to the enjoyment and flexibility of over air watching, and in my view is really part of the basics of over air TV viewing.
The TV is a 5-6 year old LG. The amp is completely analogue so no HDMI for sound. All the sound is basically through coaxial or Toslink via my DAC. I will try both ideas. They sound promising.

Thanks!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The TV is a 5-6 year old LG. The amp is completely analogue so no HDMI for sound. All the sound is basically through coaxial or Toslink via my DAC. I will try both ideas. They sound promising.

Thanks!

Always helps to post specific model numbers for gear.....and get rid of the tapatalk ad in tapatalk settings please.

A

Agiletiger

Audiophyte

Thanks!

TV LG 42lk520
DAC Rotel RDD-1580
Antenna 1byone OUS00-0186

PS - Switching the audio settings did not help.

highfigh

highfigh

I use the optical out from my TV and have connected it to an AVR, Parasound preamp, California Audio Labs DAC and now, my Yamaha WXC-50 and the only reason it has made a clicking sound with anything other than the California Audio Labs piece was when I had the TV's output set to Auto, rather than PCM. The outboard DAC needs pushing the selector switch to make it stop, so it has some kind of issue (it's not mine). I haven't seen a TV that won't send PCM to something and make noise without clicking, incorrect settings aside.

highfigh

highfigh

TV LG 42lk520
DAC Rotel RDD-1580
Antenna 1byone OUS00-0186

PS - Switching the audio settings did not help.

Did you coil the optical link in tight loops? You can't do that- if it's too long, let it hang and see if it still makes the clicking sound.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Seems the only audio adjustment is turning the tv's speakers off. Manual didn't reveal anything else I saw....

A

Agiletiger

Audiophyte
Did you coil the optical link in tight loops? You can't do that- if it's too long, let it hang and see if it still makes the clicking sound.
Definitely not the issue. Sound from blu ray player and Apple TV come out perfectly fine via the same optical.

A

Agiletiger

Audiophyte
Seems the only audio adjustment is turning the tv's speakers off. Manual didn't reveal anything else I saw....
Thanks for looking into it. I tried turning the speakers off and switched on the Infinite Surround which was the closest I've found to anything resembling PCM. Looking more like a DRM issue.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Maybe the antenna unit is defective? Can't find the tapatalk settings to remove the ad?

highfigh

highfigh

Thanks for looking into it. I tried turning the speakers off and switched on the Infinite Surround which was the closest I've found to anything resembling PCM. Looking more like a DRM issue.

I would go to the LG site and use the 'Contact Us'- maybe they have a live chat. I haven't seen this problem although I usually connect most sources to an AVR before the video is sent to the TV, not using the TV's tuner. In my system, I am using the tuner and it works fine but I have a Panasonic TV, not LG. I have used the optical out on LG TVs, though- it worked fine.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Just check that the TV is down mixing multi Channel to two channel audio.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
There appears to be no setting to ensure that surround sound is set for stereo only or PCM output. It certainly isn't apparent in the manual. But, it does look like there is a headphone jack on the TV. If there is one, then connecting this to the speaker should give you solid audio.

Every time I've used a DAC and have heard clicking, it's because the digital output has been giving me surround sound instead of stereo. I've always heard exactly what you are describing, and I've had menu options to force PCM which have solved the problem.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis