New Mini-monitors by Philharmonic Audio

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
$600 is even better!

"Here is a small sealed speaker that would be perfect as a surround or desk-top monitor. It features the same RAAL tweeter used in our Slims Tower, BMR Monitor, and New Philharmonitor, mated with a 5" aluminum woofer noted for its smooth response and low distortion. This is the prototype for a speaker we hope to introduce shortly and is in perfect cosmetic condition. Despite its diminutive size and sealed configuration, useful bass response extends to 60 Hz. Above that point this monitor features the same open and neutral sound of the more expensive New Philharmonitor, and is every bit its equal in sound staging. The price of $600/pr is $100 less than the planned price. "

Specifications

Cabinet 0.25 cu ft Piano-quality black lacquer mirror finish
Tweeter RAAL OEM Ribbon
Woofer Zaph Audio ZA14W08 5" Aluminum Cone
Crossover 4th Order Linkwitz-Riley at 3,200 Hz
Frequency Response 60 Hz - 20kHz +/- 2db
Sensitivity 84.5 dB (dB/2.83v/1M)
Box Alignment Sealed
Dimensions 12" H x (7.5" Front, 4.5" Back) W x 11" D
Weight 15 lbs each

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Really nice looking small speakers! Dennis is working hard to make new great speakers apparently.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
$600 is even better!

"Here is a small sealed speaker that would be perfect as a surround or desk-top monitor. It features the same RAAL tweeter used in our Slims Tower, BMR Monitor, and New Philharmonitor, mated with a 5" aluminum woofer noted for its smooth response and low distortion. This is the prototype for a speaker we hope to introduce shortly and is in perfect cosmetic condition. Despite its diminutive size and sealed configuration, useful bass response extends to 60 Hz. Above that point this monitor features the same open and neutral sound of the more expensive New Philharmonitor, and is every bit its equal in sound staging. The price of $600/pr is $100 less than the planned price. "

Specifications

Cabinet 0.25 cu ft Piano-quality black lacquer mirror finish
Tweeter RAAL OEM Ribbon
Woofer Zaph Audio ZA14W08 5" Aluminum Cone
Crossover 4th Order Linkwitz-Riley at 3,200 Hz
Frequency Response 60 Hz - 20kHz +/- 2db
Sensitivity 84.5 dB (dB/2.83v/1M)
Box Alignment Sealed
Dimensions 12" H x (7.5" Front, 4.5" Back) W x 11" D
Weight 15 lbs each
Yeah, but the $600 is for this (prototype) pair only, and they had been sold by the time I emailed Dennis (about the same time I started this thread). He said they got snatched up not long after he posted.
To re-emphasize:
Despite its diminutive size and sealed configuration, useful bass response extends to 60 Hz. Above that point this monitor features the same open and neutral sound of the more expensive New Philharmonitor, and is every bit its equal in sound staging.
So, if you are using a sub, this appears to be the sonic equivalent of the $1150 Philharmonitor (Max SPL may take a hit).

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Oh just go buy the BMR's already!
If I got a pair of these, you could likely get my 61lse's really cheap!

Buying BMR's has little to do with these speakers.

BTW, from my email with Dennis, their may end up being a ported version of the mini-monitors and "mini-monitors" may not be the final name as these are not exclusively near-field speakers.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

BTW, from my email with Dennis, their may end up being a ported version of the mini-monitors and "mini-monitors" may not be the final name as these are not exclusively near-field speakers.
They seem nice speakers. Those Zaph drivers have been on my radar for some time. They are a nice wide band driver, and a good candidate for a midrange driver. The Qts at 0.44 is slightly in the high side. I suspect that the ported alignment is the wisest choice, especially if used with a sub.

That driver can carry the cast majority of the speech discrimination band, and should make an excellent center channel speaker. Just don't put in on its side!

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General

I've already built a pair of the ported and sold them. The lower end limit is about 55 Hz, so it can't compete with the Philharmonitor in the bass extension department.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I've already built a pair of the ported and sold them. The lower end limit is about 55 Hz, so it can't compete with the Philharmonitor in the bass extension department.
How is the overall output of this smaller speaker? Would you consider them living room speakers or better for bedroom/office?

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
How is the overall output of this smaller speaker? Would you consider them living room speakers or better for bedroom/office?
The little guys are better suited to surround duty or desktop, small room. I think they would sound a little thin in a larger venue.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

The little guys are better suited to surround duty or desktop, small room. I think they would sound a little thin in a larger venue.
So you did not get much bass extension from the ported design. Therefore the sealed speaker will have more low bass output with the 12 db per octave roll off compared to the ported 24 db per octave roll off. So the sealed version will likely be the better sounding speaker.

The issue of not performing well in larger spaces is ubiquitous now. That really does take bigger drivers for the bottom end. That ends up with a wider front as a rule.

No one has really created a replacement for the venerable KEF B139. This allows for a narrow cabinet with a solid bottom end, that is anything but thin. The T/S parameters really hit the sweet spot. It can perform well sealed or ported and is a perfect driver for TLs. It is small wonder such high prices are paid for them in eBay.

Its problem is violent resonance staring at 900 Hz, so it needs sharp roll off starting at 400 Hz. It needs to be at least 24 db down by 900 Hz.

So a three way is mandatory. I'm listening to my speakers with a pair of B139s right now and they are really nice. It is astonishing to me great designs of the past are not revisited and improved.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
It seems to me that Golden Ear and Def Tech are two that took the "racetrack" design of the B139 and developed their own version. Whether or not they've improved it, I don't know.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

It seems to me that Golden Ear and Def Tech are two that took the "racetrack" design of the B139 and developed their own version. Whether or not they've improved it, I don't know.
I'm pretty sure they both use Tangband drivers, which are in no way comparable to the KEF B139, and can certainly not be considered improved/

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
So you did not get much bass extension from the ported design. Therefore the sealed speaker will have more low bass output with the 12 db per octave roll off compared to the ported 24 db per octave roll off. So the sealed version will likely be the better sounding speaker.

The issue of not performing well in larger spaces is ubiquitous now. That really does take bigger drivers for the bottom end. That ends up with a wider front as a rule.

No one has really created a replacement for the venerable KEF B139. This allows for a narrow cabinet with a solid bottom end, that is anything but thin. The T/S parameters really hit the sweet spot. It can perform well sealed or ported and is a perfect driver for TLs. It is small wonder such high prices are paid for them in eBay.

Its problem is violent resonance staring at 900 Hz, so it needs sharp roll off starting at 400 Hz. It needs to be at least 24 db down by 900 Hz.

So a three way is mandatory. I'm listening to my speakers with a pair of B139s right now and they are really nice. It is astonishing to me great designs of the past are not revisited and improved.
I guess if you went down low enough, the sealed version would actually be putting out more bass. But the ported has a big advantage in the critical 50 - 70 Hz region, so I don't think anyone listening to the two side-by-side would think the sealed had deeper bass. The ported sounds fine in a lot of spaces. For larger, there's always the Philharmonitor.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I guess if you went down low enough, the sealed version would actually be putting out more bass. But the ported has a big advantage in the critical 50 - 70 Hz region, so I don't think anyone listening to the two side-by-side would think the sealed had deeper bass. The ported sounds fine in a lot of spaces. For larger, there's always the Philharmonitor.
I'm not surprised by that. Speakers generally do sound better when the speaker cone is augmented.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis