Need Receiver and Speaker Recommendation

S

Svarmad

Audiophyte
Hello Friends, I wanted to setup a new home theatre system in my apartment and looking for some guidance on the best receiver and satellite speakers. I've looked around but didn't get enough guidance on the right setup so wondering if you experts can point me in the right direction.

My budget is ~$2K. I'm looking for 5 or 7 speakers, woofer and a good receiver. I'm a big move fan and we watch lot of movies and TV. I'm a beginner in this space so any help on this is highly appreciated! Please also suggest wires as well if it makes a difference

Best
Sam

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I would be looking to get seven of these or these, one of these, and one of these. That will make for a great 7.1 system that will make for a great movie night. If you need mounts for the speakers, use these. For cables and wires, I would get that stuff from blue jeans cable.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
I would also recommend AA Monitors, HSU sub and either Denon/Marantz/Yamaha receiver for your budget. Can't go wrong with those.

S

Svarmad

Audiophyte
I would also recommend AA Monitors, HSU sub and either Denon/Marantz/Yamaha receiver for your budget. Can't go wrong with those.
I'll review these as well, thanks so much! any special models in Marantz/Yamaha i should explore?

Last edited:
tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

I'll review these as well, thanks so much! any special models in Marantz/Yamaha i should explore?
What ever fits your budget and has all the features you need. I would go for Denon or Marantz just to have Audyssey.

Littlefoott

Littlefoott

Audioholic Intern
frys weekly online flyer has some great deals right now
klipsch r26,m14's and r25 center with a denon AVR-X3200W would fit your budget and leave room for an svs pb1000
but they are no shipping, local only

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

frys weekly online flyer has some great deals right now
klipsch r26,m14's and r25 center with a denon AVR-X3200W would fit your budget and leave room for an svs pb1000
but they are no shipping, local only
I would suggest AA Monitors over Klipsch how ever.

S

Svarmad

Audiophyte
I would be looking to get seven of these or these, one of these, and one of these. That will make for a great 7.1 system that will make for a great movie night. If you need mounts for the speakers, use these. For cables and wires, I would get that stuff from blue jeans cable.
Hi Shady, I sent a note to buy the AA monitors but here is what i heard from Dennis. Looks like i cannot wall mount these speakers? can you please advise or suggest alternate options?

-----
One thing to keep in mind is that the monitors are rear ported and cannot be placed near a rear wall. They aren't supplied with wall mounts. You would need to find hardware to do that, and you will need at least 6" free behind the monitors to avoid a boomy bass.

Most speakers use ports (which are just tubes) to augment the bass. The port actually produces most of the bass you hear coming from the speaker. If you place a speaker that has its port exiting in the rear right up against the wall, the bass waves will immediately reflect off of the wall and reinforce each other, causing a very boomy sound. For your application, you would need either a speaker with its port in the front, like the Wavecrest, or a speaker with no port. NHT makes some sealed speakers (no ports), although they appear to have discontinued the ones I'm familiar with--the Super Zero and the Super One. NHT makes good speakers, so if you can find a model with no port that's fairly small and in your price range, I would probably go with that.

----

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Hi Shady, I sent a note to buy the AA monitors but here is what i heard from Dennis. Looks like i cannot wall mount these speakers? can you please advise or suggest alternate options?

-----
One thing to keep in mind is that the monitors are rear ported and cannot be placed near a rear wall. They aren't supplied with wall mounts. You would need to find hardware to do that, and you will need at least 6" free behind the monitors to avoid a boomy bass.

Most speakers use ports (which are just tubes) to augment the bass. The port actually produces most of the bass you hear coming from the speaker. If you place a speaker that has its port exiting in the rear right up against the wall, the bass waves will immediately reflect off of the wall and reinforce each other, causing a very boomy sound. For your application, you would need either a speaker with its port in the front, like the Wavecrest, or a speaker with no port. NHT makes some sealed speakers (no ports), although they appear to have discontinued the ones I'm familiar with--the Super Zero and the Super One. NHT makes good speakers, so if you can find a model with no port that's fairly small and in your price range, I would probably go with that.

----
I don't think wall-mounting rear-ported speakers necessarily makes them boomy. If the bass is elevated, you can always plug the port with something that makes an airtight seal. Also, your AVR will have an equalization correction that can taper down any peaks in bass by quite a bit. And the truth is any speaker will get bass reinforcement when placed near any boundary- the port doesn't have to be in the back for this to happen.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis