Would wiring 4 super tweeters per speaker box increase life of tweeters?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Lets hope one day ya could buy a simple PLUG AND PLAY tweeter, bass woofer and midrange that all have a built in crossover in each and all you need to do is connect left and right wire from any receiver and they all sound perfect, lowest lows, highest highs and mid like their supposed to.
And for the record, they do make such a thing. Perfectly balanced, plug and play. It's called a speaker.

D

domic

Audioholic Intern
nah, i meant THEY SHOULD sell individual tweeters, mid and bass woofers (where you could pick any size of your choosing, the bigger the tweeter or woofer,the bigger the sound,thats all you need to know when buying them) with crossover and other neccessary components already BUILT IN in each individual tweeter,mid,woofer and then all is required to get the correct full sound and frequency of each is to simply connect the negative and positive wire from any amp or receiver to any one of them (in your speaker box), lets say woofer, and then connect wire from woofer to other, and from that to other, etc, you can wire any number of tweeters, woofers and mids per box and at any size. That could be compared to a simple plug and play light bulb. It simply plugs(screws) into any wall socket of your home and it works without needing to add this,this and that. ok this topic was fun, back to my deus ex ps3, bye.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
nah, i meant THEY SHOULD sell individual tweeters, mid and bass woofer(where you could pick any size of your choosing, the bigger the tweeter or woofer,the bigger the sound,thats all you need to know when buying them) with crossover and other neccessary components already BUILT IN in each individual tweeter,mid,woofer and then all is required to get the correct full sound and frequency of each is to simply connect left and right wire from any amp or receiver to any one of them, lets say woofer, and then connect wire from woofer to other, and so on. That could be compared to a simple plug and play light bulb. It simply plugs(screws) into any wall socket of your home and it works without needing to add this,this and that. ok this topic was fun, back to my deus ex ps3, bye.
I see no reason why they should provide such a useless product. Unless all you want is one choice of tweeter, mid, woofer that can work together properly. I just don't see anyone marketing such a thing just to make you happy. Good luck with the frankenspeakers.

D

domic

Audioholic Intern
no, with this kind of product (that i should patent) is made to create a speaker box from scratch with extreme ease, buy as many tweeters, bass woofers, etc, as you want, at any size (the bigger the size, the bigger and louder the sound and freq, no need for eq), screw them into a box and theyre ready to be wired to your amp or receiver with ease.
these are 'super tweeters, so 2KHz is far too high for their crossover point..
2KHz(2000hz) is far too high freq for these tweeters? these 8 ohm super bullet tweeters are either (???) 25Hz/40Hz-800Hz/25Hz DC.(as listed by amaz ca where i bought them) or 2KHz 25KHz (as stated by amaz com). its confusion added to confusion added to confusion.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
LOL we'll wait for your patent. You really should look more into how speakers are designed and constructed....

D

domic

Audioholic Intern
If you read that(500 w) on the back (of your receiver) near the power cord,dont assume that means anything more than power consumption,which is totally different from power output.
OK I checked the back of my 500 watt receiver, this is all it really says, year 2000, 120 v, 60Hz, 330VA. And there are 8 speaker outs (16 neg pos terminals) which includes surround sound and sub(?) outputs. I only wired 2 speaker boxes (to FRONT A terminals) to this receiver not 8 speaker boxes, Below that all says, IMPEDENCE use 8-16 (ohms?). And the back of my year 2000, 15" sub bass woofer shows 15W0(with line through 0)-8 whatev that means, must mean 150 watts,8ohm,, and no model # on back so cant confirm what frequencies it is.

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
no, with this kind of product (that i should patent) is made to create a speaker box from scratch with extreme ease, buy as many tweeters, bass woofers, etc, as you want, at any size (the bigger the size, the bigger and louder the sound and freq, no need for eq), screw them into a box and theyre ready to be wired to your amp or receiver with ease.
2KHz(2000hz) is far too high freq for these tweeters? these 8 ohm super bullet tweeters are either (???) 25Hz/40Hz-800Hz/25Hz DC.(as listed by amaz ca where i bought them) or 2KHz 25KHz (as stated by amaz com). its confusion added to confusion added to confusion.
Oops! I meant that 2KHz is too low for the crossover going to super tweeters.

I know why pre-made crossovers are made, but that doesn't mean they're right for most drivers. You won't get any patents, either- the science for this is well over a century old.

Look for a copy of the Loudspeaker Design Cookbook, by Vance Dickason. It covers how and why to use various drivers and crossovers there are many types, for specific uses, such as on-axis and off-axis listening, drivers that have more distance between them, etc.

As for plug n play and sounding perfect, perfect isn't possible and there are many things that can (and do) make speakers sound less than good, let alone perfect. Nice theory, but in practice, it's more than difficult. However, happy accidents do happen.

The info about your receiver still doesn't help.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
nah, i meant THEY SHOULD sell individual tweeters, mid and bass woofers (where you could pick any size of your choosing, the bigger the tweeter or woofer,the bigger the sound,thats all you need to know when buying them) with crossover and other neccessary components already BUILT IN in each individual tweeter,mid,woofer and then all is required to get the correct full sound and frequency of each is to simply connect the negative and positive wire from any amp or receiver to any one of them (in your speaker box), lets say woofer, and then connect wire from woofer to other, and from that to other, etc, you can wire any number of tweeters, woofers and mids per box and at any size. That could be compared to a simple plug and play light bulb. It simply plugs(screws) into any wall socket of your home and it works without needing to add this,this and that. ok this topic was fun, back to my deus ex ps3, bye.
He really is TSTOE (Too stupid to own equipment)

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
As you apparently can't understand how speakers work and don't want to listen for advice. Go ahead and use your elements and crossover how ever you like. It won't sound good and you will get more blown elements but at least you can be happy with your speakers as that seems to be what you want to do anyway no matter what.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Unteachable is probably more accurate. His problem is that he doesn't know how much he doesn't know. He's refusing to admit that to himself. After all, for years he's assembled drivers into a box, probably even going so far as to pay attention to impedance ratings, and the result has been noise that resembles his music. In light of what he perceives as his prior success, he's stubbornly committed to his investments in his existing components and is unwilling to cut his losses. He's not here for advice. He's not here to learn. He's here for validation.

He has no frame of reference upon which to compare his Lego speakers other than maybe his car stereo.

@domic you owe it to yourself to try something. Go to a local brick-and-mortar audio shop -- not a Best Buy or HH Gregg or some other national chain, but to some smaller locally owned and operated store. Ask if they can demo something amazing for you. Be humble and admit that you've never heard what audiophile sounds like, even if you don't mean it. I can almost guarantee that the staff there would be delighted to introduce you. If you do this, you're in for a treat the likes of which cannot be conveyed by text in a forum post.

D

domic

Audioholic Intern
He really is TSTOE (Too stupid to own equipment)
haha
When home speakers become too UNUSER friendly, theres always my amazing $350 professional head phones, ya hear every intricate detail in lowest lows and finest highs(but with added EQ), sounding like a $2000 speaker set, "ahhhhh". I think i over posted to this fun and a bit way out thread, but a 12 dB or 18 dB crossover with tweeter freqs up to 20Khz would certainly make these super bullet tweeters sound far better than my current crossover SINCE I FINALLY checked online specs for my receiver,100 Watts Per Channel x 2 (8 ohms 20 Hz-20 kHz[which is perfect for my super bullet tweeters]) (plus 6 more 100 watt channels), and my 15" sub bass woofer bought new in 1998 actually, online shows, 150 watts, 8ohm,air resonance 18.6 Hz, 89.2 dB, etc will be good enough til i buy new set.

Last edited:
Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
hahaha.

what is tstoe? Well i want to make use of my current speaker set up til the high end woofers blow,then i'll buy a new speaker set. Yes its true that im using 10" bass woofers as mid ranges because they dont burn out.(i didnt mention that at beginning of thread because i was too embarressed to). BUT ITS NOT exactly what all you've been saying about the correct crossover/set up will not blow tweeters. Take a look at amazon reviews about tweeters or google it,tweeters often burn out even when wired correctly or when buying a new speaker. Thats what got me here in the first place because when i used to buy brand new speaker sets over 20 years ago,the tweeters eventually blew like within 5 years or less. Thats why i started building my own speaker boxes using the box set from the last store bought speaker set.
Speakers blow pre-maturely because people over-drive them into distortion, I have never in 45 years of owning stereo/speaker systems blown a driver using them as designed. I have blown speakers by being stupid and driving them beyond their limits.

It seems all you're interested in is how long will it take before blowing up a set of speakers designed poorly, configured poorly and likely built poorly instead of how do I get the best sound out of a set of speakers.

Seriously, 10 inch drivers as mid-range simply so they won't burn up? Can I ask how loud you listen to music, I'm picturing my old neighbor who played as loud as the amplifier could go because the volume knob turns that far to the right so the system should handle it (his words).

The distortion (distortion KILLS speakers before power does) was ear bleeding awful, the sound was awful and he blew up speakers/amplifiers often and he too, could not understand why they kept blowing up. I had him come over and listen to my system at reference level, very clean, tight bass, it sounded fantastic, still does.

His response, how loud can it go, apparently quality meant nothing to him, only volume no matter how badly it sounded, tone deaf, stupid, take your pick.

I'm going to say this knowing I'm a moron for asking, maybe you should try building for quality instead of "how long will it take before they blow". This way they last far longer than 4 or 5 (likely they had issues long before 4 or 5 years) years and sound great as well.

Last edited:
Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
You gents keep on repeating the same thing. My intention is NOT to build a perfect and correct speaker set up with all correct speakers and crossovers. My intention is only the following 2 options. No other options im interested in as of now, for example not interested in starting from scratch, ONLY interested in the 2 options i listed no matter what the outcome.Get it?
The crux of your question is should I do this, people respond with accurate reasons why the plan is a bad one and you tell them to ignore the bad plan, how is the bad plan if you take out the bad part of the plan.

Response.... o_O IT'S A BAD PLAN because the bad parts are there no matter what. You're asking people to ignore information and tell you what you want to hear. Head on over to the Bose forums they have just the speakers for you.

Lets hope one day ya could buy a simple PLUG AND PLAY tweeter, bass woofer and midrange that all have a built in crossover in each and all you need to do is connect left and right wire from any receiver and they all sound perfect, lowest lows, highest highs and mid like their supposed to.
Well, I doubt anybody into DIY wants it that simple, because, it will never be that simple. As for buying something that works right off the shelf, there are many companies that build speakers you can buy complete and they are plug and play, this sounds like the plan you should stick with.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic

OK I checked the back of my 500 watt receiver, this is all it really says, year 2000, 120 v, 60Hz, 330VA. And there are 8 speaker outs (16 neg pos terminals) which includes surround sound and sub(?) outputs. I only wired 2 speaker boxes (to FRONT A terminals) to this receiver not 8 speaker boxes, Below that all says, IMPEDENCE use 8-16 (ohms?). And the back of my year 2000, 15" sub bass woofer shows 15W0(with line through 0)-8 whatev that means, must mean 150 watts,8ohm,, and no model # on back so cant confirm what frequencies it is.
Dayum, just dayum. I need to go slam a few shots of tequila, maybe 8 of them should suffice before reading this much "tstoe". o_O

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
I'm going to try to provide some alternative advice to this guy who like to turn it up to eleven. I agree with the responders, the basic plan is doomed to sound terrible or worse. What will happen to the impedance is another unknown factor that may cause something else to spectacularly fail.

Klipschhead has the answer under his very own nose. What this guy needs is horn tweeters. They play big and loud and are pretty tough to wreck. Klipsch is long known for making good loud rock and roll party speakers although there are others. Mr. Klipsch was also a hell of a nice guy, I got to meet him once, he was well into his eighties but still sharp as a tack. As for the tequila, I also have recommendations and I'd be happy to taste test with you as well...;)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
It was annoying at first, but this is an entertaining thread. Pretty sure the op wasn't looking for advice. More along the lines of validation as Rojo has, I feel, accurately assessed. Unfortunately though I think this rooster has flown the coop.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
I'm going to try to provide some alternative advice to this guy who like to turn it up to eleven. I agree with the responders, the basic plan is doomed to sound terrible or worse. What will happen to the impedance is another unknown factor that may cause something else to spectacularly fail.

Klipschhead has the answer under his very own nose. What this guy needs is horn tweeters. They play big and loud and are pretty tough to wreck. Klipsch is long known for making good loud rock and roll party speakers although there are others. Mr. Klipsch was also a hell of a nice guy, I got to meet him once, he was well into his eighties but still sharp as a tack. As for the tequila, I also have recommendations and I'd be happy to taste test with you as well...;)
All I can say is well said! My last run with Tequila was Padron, can't remember which one... ha ha.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
It was annoying at first, but this is an entertaining thread. Pretty sure the op wasn't looking for advice. More along the lines of validation as Rojo has, I feel, accurately assessed. Unfortunately though I think this rooster has flown the coop.
Agreed, to go along with Dan further, here are a set of KLF-20's, you want to rock the house hard, here ya go. If you have the extra funds, go with a set of RF-7 II's or RF-7 III's when they come out. No matter what, you will have an excellent intense experience.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Klipsch-KLF-20-Legendary-Series-Floorstanding-Speakers-/322431965216?hash=item4b12715820:g:lI8AAOSwNnRYioAs

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis