First Dedicated Home Theatre

K

KyleBravo

Audiophyte
Long time reader, first time poster. I am in the process of building my dream home and I want a dedicated home theatre and I'd love your help/suggestions. I'll try to give as much info as possible. Initial drawings put the room at 15'2" x 24'10" woth 9 foot ceilings. I've done some research and I would like to go with an audio system capable of Atmos and DTS:X with 4 in ceiling speakers. Thinking something like a 7.2.4 configuration. Budget is a tricky thing, I'm willing to spend whatever it takes for a system with longevity that I'll be happy with but I know, like with all things tech oriented, there is some top end equipment that is unnecessary except for a few very specific applications. If it is at all possible, I would like to be able to maybe even integrate whole home audio throughout the house and outdoors area (speakers for that are something I'll tackle later on) so if there is anything extra that I would need to be able to do that. After combing through the forum I realize that I have an awesome opportunity in front of me, starting from scratch with almost zero limitations based on pre existing conditions. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Oh, and one more thing - I'm still pretty new to this so if you could breakdown any technical jargon as if you were explaining it to a 7 year old that would probably be helpful!!!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Hello Kyle,

Here is an Audioholics article about the installation of a fresh Atmos setup and also a second zone. Of course, you will not want to use in-ceiling speakers for anything but the 'height' channels. You will want to read the Dolby Home Atmos Installation Guide. This will guide you on optimal placement. One bit of advice I would give you at this stage is plan on buying separate amplification for the speakers instead of using onboard AVR amplifiers. This will help your system last longer since there won't be any heat generation in the AVR from the onboard amplifier. It will also give you a lot more amp headroom since most AVR amplifiers just are not that powerful for that many channels. I would be looking at Outlaw Audio and Emotiva for amplifiers. If you are going to have an equipment closet, I would also be looking at pro amps, like QSC, Crown, or Behringer. For a dedicated room, I would be looking to spend maybe around $3.5 to $4 K on audio electronics, and another $4 k on speakers and subwoofers, for a high bang-for-the-buck system. I would be looking to spend maybe $2 k on a decent projector and less than $1k for a good screen. That all adds up to a bit over $10k.

S

shkumar4963

Audioholic
All good suggestions. If immediate budget is of concern. Spend about half the budget on speakers and the other half on AVR, projector and Amplifier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B

Brian H.

Enthusiast
Hi Kyle,
First off, congrats on being able to plan&build your home theatre. If I may be so humble with some advice for you, please make sure you concentrate on the " room " first. If this is your dream home, this is an absolute must. I've had my home theatre /stereo room for 20+years now, & I couldn't be happier with it! (Equip. upgrades aside. lol.) Make sure you run at least 2-3 dedicated power lines, with a min. 20 amp. rating, to the spots that you have dedicated your equipment to. Also, have at least hospital grade outlets to all the recepticles in your room. Then make the room a " floating " room. That is, a room within a room with rubber grommets on the framework, and 5/8 drywall with a brand like Roxul insulation between. If this room is in the basement, then put the largest grade underpading along with a heavy duty carpeting. ( I've had my carpet for over 20 year's now.) Anyway, next up plan exactly where you want your speakers to be, (always plan for further speakers, trust me on that!) You want to run a good to better quality speaker wire of at least 14 gauge. If your budget permits, go with 12 gauge. A lot of people will disagree with me on this one, but I say, do it the best way you can afford to, if this is truly your dream home. When you run your wire of choice behind the walls, do not let any of the wires cross one another at any time. You don't want to find out you have a ground problem after the drywall is up
If you have to cross wire paths, make a small wooden bridge if you will, one over, one under. Remember, zero wiring problems ever! Straight paths, keep wires apart at least 1-1/2 " apart. Paint your ceiling with dark, sound deadening paint. Min 2 coats. If you want to have your main speakers behind a perforated screen, ( that's what I have.) Paint the rear wall the same way, and make sure the carpet extends inside. Run at least 2 outlets behind the " LARGEST SCREEN POSSIBLE. have cable outlets for min 6 speakers ( future expansion). Now plan out what type of general lighting scheme and run SEPARATE wiring right from your main panel, to the lighting inside the room.
Forgot to mention make sure you put a wooden panel of 1/2- 3/4" in the ceiling spot for that kick ass projector, as well as a dedicated ceiling outlet . I also have a Furman power conditioner (ac215) for the projector. Next up, put in an oversized insulated door of choice if possible, for equip. & furniture moving with less headaches. Make yourself an insulated 3" platform for your seating. (You just might go the extra & install a passive radiator or expensive dbox seating). Last up, get yourself a really good equipment rack/stand/closet, etc.
This will cost you a fair bit, but in the long run, it will sure pay for itself over & over again. I hope other readers will comment on many more ways in which will help you reach your goals.thank you & good luck! I hope I have been able to help in any way. Thank you,. Brian

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis