Best Sub - Large Space/Small Box

B

BriReeves629

Audioholic
I need some feedback from the community. I have a large space (around 5k cu. ft.) in the new house and my old sub that I brought in the move doesn't seem to be filling the room. Here's the catch, the spouse wants me to get a smaller sub for aesthetic reasons so I am limited to 13 x 13 or so. My AVR is an Integra DSX5 and I will be using for 70/30 movies to music and as a musician myself, I am a stickler for accuracy.

I have three subs I have been looking at closely; the DefTec Super Cube 6000, Martin Logan Dynamo 1000 and the Velodyne Optimum 10. Budget is around $1k and again, I need a small box for aesthetic reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The goal is to have even poorer performance? What's the current sub?

I'd get an SVS SB1000 over any of the ones you propose. Can you have two of them? That would still be within budget....

B

BriReeves629

Audioholic
Current sub is a 2004 Velodyn VRP 1200 (dinosaur), but is sounded great in my old house where I had a smaller space. I could do two if one was wireless. That is what I liked about the Dynamo 1000.

B

BriReeves629

Audioholic
Lovinthehd, would you recommend the sb1000 or the pb1000 in the larger space?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Lovinthehd, would you recommend the sb1000 or the pb1000 in the larger space?

The ported sub would have the advantage but its box is larger than your WAF allowance, isn't it?

You can make any sub wireless with a kit....

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
The sb2k won't even touch that room. Music? Maybe, but not for HT. A few good suggestions will pop up. Rhythmik and hsu will probably be around the top.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
It will cheaper and easier to replace a wife than to get 13" cube sub which could fill 5k cuft space.
Because such sub will have bend a few laws of physics and it's usually not cheap.
JL Fathom® f112v2 is where you should start looking.
Paradigm's Seismic 110 is another option and much closer to your budget, thou still I won't expect miracles out of it.

Now if WAF is willing to compromise on size for custom furniture grade - you'll have more options like excellent HSU ULS-15mk3 or Rythmic E15HP.

Last edited:
rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
I agree that you won't achieve satisfactory output given those constraints. Best bet might be a sub that's thin enough to hide behind the couch or to use as a riser, like a Danley THSpud; or to use subs as end tables, hidden in plain sight -- maybe a pair of rosewood Hsu VTF-3. Either way, your budget will be blown. You could also build subs yourself that look like furniture, maybe a pair of twelves disguised as end tables, or a 15 made to look like an entertainment center? Or maybe you could try running a pair of Dayton 1000L low profile subs nearfield between the wall and the couch. Nearfield subs take a lot of time, patience, and effort to blend with each other and with your mains, but it can be done. Plan to add a miniDSP and UMIK-1 to your shopping list if you choose this path.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Agreed with everyone else. Trying to get any serious bass from a subwoofer with those restrictions is like pissing in the wind. It doesn't make a difference what model sub you get under that criteria.

B

BriReeves629

Audioholic
Do you have any experience with these wireless kits? Do you sacrifice any SQ when using one?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Do you have any experience with these wireless kits? Do you sacrifice any SQ when using one?

Iirc, Dayton audio, and even the ones at BB by magnolia reviewed pretty well. I pulled cable and tucked it under my base trim so I've never tried. I just know that they seem pretty good.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

I have two Infinity subs with wireless kits and never an issue with sq. The problem some experience is other devices using the same basic frequency range but I never experienced that myself; it seems more people have reported issues with wireless with full range speakers rather than with subs, too....

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord

I am just a little concerned if using for full range sound, but what little sound degradation might exist I would not worry about given content is low frequency, only. Listen to your subs alone if you don't understand what I mean. We just don't hear fine details. (Generally, I think it works fine for high frequencies too, but have not listened critically).

I would like to see a system like most AVR's that will time/phase align so as to offset and time delays from conversion to and from digital transmission. Though, again, I believe the more recent systems are very fast!

B

BriReeves629

Audioholic
Has anyone had experience at all with cylinder type subs. I noticed them while exploring the SVS website. Any input would be appreciated.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Has anyone had experience at all with cylinder type subs. I noticed them while exploring the SVS website. Any input would be appreciated.

As general rule of thumb, SVS's cylinder subs work near identically for their ported boxes colleagues.
ie: PC2000 ≈ PB2000

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

I've got 2. I like them quite a lot. Unique design with the same performance as a box. Ymmv though. I like the smaller footprint also.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
With a room that big and a small sub requirement, I'd be looking at dual small subs. Dual SB1000s or SB2000s might work. I agree, an inexpensive option might be dual PE Sub 1000Ls. Those things are quite decent actually, but not in the same category as the SB1000/2000. Cylinders are great, but not so much WAF with them.

S

Steve M

Junior Audioholic
i have the pc 2000 great sub but its much larger than i expecticed but no big deal , i like the size myself , make one out of card borad to moc up so you know what your getting into for the waf my wife likes it but calls it a small hot water heator , its fine where i have it no one notices it , i had to go round sub as square was just to big to fit buy only a few inches

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'd get an SVS SB1000 over any of the ones you propose. Can you have two of them? That would still be within budget....
I just happen to have 2 of these for sale, but I can split 'em up. Asking 375 for one or 700 for both.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I just happen to have 2 of these for sale, but I can split 'em up. Asking 375 for one or 700 for both.
Yikes, I had thought of that just after that post and went to find your ad and got distracted! (Squirrel!)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis