Best $2000 pre amp / dac

B

bsf

Audioholic
Need a new pre amp, need some opinions, best buy magnolia is my main spot for shopping...

thanks, possibly would consider 2ch integrated too

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
was also looking at the
Peachtree Audio sonaDAC and D150 macintosh
I've seen the Peachtree, and I think it's over-priced by about $600. I've seen the D150 in person, and it does not look or feel remotely like I expect from a $3000 component. Both of these have no analog inputs - do you need any?

Last edited:
Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
BTW, if you want to take a little risk on build quality, you might look at the Emotiva DC-1. It is a competitor to the Benchmark DAC, but at a fraction of the price:

http://emotiva.com/products/dacs/electronics/dacs/stealth-dc-1

I suspect they both sound exactly the same. I tried an Emotiva CD player once, and was ultimately not impressed with the mechanical build quality, though the electronics looked pretty good, especially for the price. I have more money than sense, so the Benchmark version was a no-brainer for me, but if you have more sense than money you might consider pocketing $1500.

B

bsf

Audioholic
that emotiva is tempting... btw I'm pairing it with a 1582mkii rotel amp

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Need a new pre amp, need some opinions, best buy magnolia is my main spot for shopping...

thanks, possibly would consider 2ch integrated too
What sources do you need to connect to the preamp? Why would you hook up an integrated amp to a power amp?

B

bsf

Audioholic
my iMac

if i got the intergrated i would just sell my amp

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How does the iMac connect? HDMI? Optical?

Speakers but no sub?

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
There is the $800 Oppo Sonica DAC. It also streams from DLNA, attached storage, Bluetooth, and Airplay. Currently, it does not have a IR remote and not all functions can be accessed from the smart-phone apps.

Also, the Oppo UPD-205 has been announced for release in early 2017, so immenent. It does not have BT or Airplay but also supports disk playback and can be used as a preamp. Pricing not been announced.

- Rich

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
There is the $800 Oppo Sonica DAC. It also streams from DLNA, attached storage, Bluetooth, and Airplay. Currently, it does not have a IR remote and not all functions can be accessed from the smart-phone apps.

Also, the Oppo UPD-205 has been announced for release in early 2017, so immenent. It does not have BT or Airplay but also supports disk playback and can be used as a preamp. Pricing not been announced.

- Rich
For preamp I would recommend the HA-1. Have you compared the Sonica to the HA-1 yet?

E

<eargiant

Senior Audioholic
I had my finger on the trigger for the Benchmark DAC3 HGC but I'm holding out to see how this whole MQA thing plays out. I have the Explorer2 and I love being able to stream Hi-Res files wrapped in the MQA origami.

Sounds fantastic.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I had my finger on the trigger for the Benchmark DAC3 HGC but I'm holding out to see how this whole MQA thing plays out. I have the Explorer2 and I love being able to stream Hi-Res files wrapped in the MQA origami.

Sounds fantastic.
based on stereophool explanation of MQA is sound pretty much like awesome way to reinvent the wheel.
I rather invest in speakers/headphones.

E

<eargiant

Senior Audioholic
based on stereophool explanation of MQA is sound pretty much like awesome way to reinvent the wheel.
I rather invest in speakers/headphones.
Why is it stereophool? It allows you to stream a large file.

Plus it doesn't cost you anything as long as your DAC can decode it (many already do). If the DAC can't decode it, no problem - you will get the standard CD quality file (FLAC).

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Why is it stereophool?
Not quite it, I referred to article in stereophool describing MQA
http://www.stereophile.com/content/meridian-explorer2-da-headphone-amplifier#rH198gSFmYIFf61Y.97

But yea. expected sound improvement due swapped sound modulation from frequency to time is actually silly to say at the least and "repairing" it" ??? Based exactly on what?

Tl;dr: Imo MQA format is a solution looking very hard for a problem, or just means to push more their own dacs.

E

<eargiant

Senior Audioholic
Not quite it, I referred to article in stereophool describing MQA
http://www.stereophile.com/content/meridian-explorer2-da-headphone-amplifier#rH198gSFmYIFf61Y.97

But yea. expected sound improvement due swapped sound modulation from frequency to time is actually silly to say at the least and "repairing" it" ??? Based exactly on what?

Tl;dr: Imo MQA format is a solution looking very hard for a problem, or just means to push more their own dacs.
Oh I see, the Explorer2. I bought it last year in anticipation of Hi-Res file streaming. I knew Hi-Res streaming was in the works and I was curious because I already knew the FLAC streams were great. I thought the little Explorer2 was a bargain because even with the standard FLAC files I was already streaming - it sounded pretty good. I run the analog out right to my amp.

My listening is 99% streaming nowadays because with Tidal I have an unbelievable amount of CD quality music at my fingertips, music that I would never have been exposed to. I run Tidal through Roon and it's an awesome combination.

A few weeks ago Tidal started offering the Masters of some albums (catalog growing as labels sign-up). Some of them are at a very high bit rate, almost impossible to stream without issues up until MQA became available. It's a game changer for audiophiles that like to stream. Personally, I think streaming is the future for audiophiles. They'll catch on as more of them are exposed to the fact that they do not lose one iota of sound quality. Gone are the days of crappy compressed streams for those that are willing to pay a few extra dollars. The regular FLAC streams sound equivalent to any physical CD I've had (as long as it's the same version).

As for the Masters, they're stunning (compared to every other version I've heard of the same recording). MQA makes the file small enough to stream and then an MQA capable DAC "unfolds" it so that you get the full bit rate. No need to have it saved on you hard drive if you don't want to.

The sound quality is really stunning for those who have a system that can resolve the difference. If not, then I guess your right - upgrade speakers or headphone first.

Last edited:
RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
For preamp I would recommend the HA-1. Have you compared the Sonica to the HA-1 yet?
I have compared the two using an XLR switch with the XMC-1 providing volume control and J River zones to simultaneously stream to the USB DAC inputs.

If a Headphone amp is not required, then the Sonica DAC is less expensive and has a better feature set. At this point, it is not as convenient to use because there is no IR remote. This may change but I have no official statement on this from Oppo.

I find the Sonica DAC brighter resolving more detail but as a result, the balance is different with the HA-1 slightly fuller. This comes down to preference, of course. They sound more alike than different but they are different.

- Rich

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis