little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
When I looked at the mass of cables behind my rack (optical. coaxial, composite video) I decided I needed to update my gear. Time for an HDMI capable receiver. I pretty much decide on the 3060, Anthem 720 or Marantz 7011. I went to the local retailer for a listen and heard the Marantz 7011 and the Yamaha 1060. We switched back and forth between the two for about 10 minutes and I really couldn't tell much of a difference. Both sounded good, clear and powerful. The speakers were B&Ws I think, don't remember the model. I though about the price difference9 Over a grand more for the Marantz. The salesman said he perferred the Marantz because of how it handles the highs. I dunno. I do the Marantz was hot to the touch and the Yamaha slightly warm if that means anything. I didn't get to hear the Anthem but it was even more the Marantz so I settled on the 3060.

No problems with delivery. It feels heavy and sturdy when you lift it out of the box. Set up was pretty easy. One HDMI cable out of the receiver to the TV. And 3 HDMI ins from Oppo 105, firestick and Direct TV. (I'm normally more of a cable guy but satellite is the only way for me to see my Eagles games here in AZ. I also hooked up a pair of analog cables out of the Oppo. I made speaker connections and powered up. Ascend Acoustic towers with the Horizon center and a Rythmik sub, F12. Music mostly comes from a Windows 10 PC using JRiver streaming uncompressed WAV and some FLAC files. Display is a Sony.

After hook up I configured a few things in the menu. Named the HDMI inputs, told the receiver to pass through video unprocessed and set it to "standby pass through" Meaning of course you can watch TV with out the receiver being on. There was no change in video quality that I could see. I plugged in the Ethernet cable and there was a firmware that took about 20 minutes. The Yamaha instantly recognized my network. I scrolled through my music files and began playing a few tunes. I could instantly hear the improvement in sound ove my old receiver. My speakers never sounded better. The highs, the bass, clarity, everything! Even at low volumes the music sounded more dynamic. A big plus is the Yamaha recognizes and displays album art for WAV files! Gapeless playback was flawless. I think my beloved 105 gets retired as a music streamer.

I ran YPAO on the second day and readings from 5 different locations. It took maybe 10 minutes. The music sounded better still. Not a night and day difference but tighter bass for sure. it se my speakers to large but I set them to small and settle on a 60hz crossover, and chose the "Natural" PEQ. I am really impressed with the sound for 2 channel music. Clear, powerful, and dynamic. You can choose different EQ settings: Flat, Front, Natural, or Through (no EQ at all) or you can choose manual and do it yourself. The manual EQ is 7 bands.

I don't use DSP modes. Yamaha could've left them out. They are supposed to recreate the sound of a live venue I guess, but If I were at a venue that sounded like that, I would get up and leave (after I finished my beer of course :D) Subwoofer placement options and room acoustics I think are my biggest problem now, but this receiver is great for music. Movies are great too. Clean clear dialogue, and enough volume and dynamics to shake the place up. NFL games sound great too. With certain stadiums the the networks can place the mics closer to the field, and you can easily hear the players on the field talking before before the snap. Very cool, if you are into it.

There are many option to tailor the sound: YPAO Volume, High Res Music Enhancer, Extra Bass. all are available bu clicking the options button on the remote. Ah the remote, it sucks. Far too many tiny buttons and not back lit. Luckily the phone app works good, but I wish they would give you a better remote. But once you set the receiver up it is very simple to use in day to day operation. Simply select the source AV1,2 or 3, and your sound choice, or save scenes and it will automatically select your sound option. Plenty of music options to, Pandora, Spotify, Internet Radio, Network, XM, etc.

Switching HDMI sources takes about 3 or 4 seconds a guess, not too bad. But I don't have anything to compare it too since it's my first HDMI receiver.

All in all, I'm happy with the purchase. Many audiophiles say receivers are a compromise when it comes to two channel audio, if that's the case, I want to stay ignorant, because this thing sounds way better than my Yamaha 2500 and does more with fewer cables :) I'm not sure if adding an external amp would provide improved sound quality, so I'm just going to leave it alone for now. Thanks for reading.

Attachments

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
When I looked at the mass of cables behind my rack (optical. coaxial, composite video) I decided I needed to update my gear. Time for an HDMI capable receiver. I pretty much decide on the 3060, Anthem 720 or Marantz 7011. I went to the local retailer for a listen and heard the Marantz 7011 and the Yamaha 1060. We switched back and forth between the two for about 10 minutes and I really couldn't tell much of a difference. Both sounded good, clear and powerful. The speakers were B&Ws I think, don't remember the model. I though about the price difference9 Over a grand more for the Marantz. The salesman said he perferred the Marantz because of how it handles the highs. I dunno. I do the Marantz was hot to the touch and the Yamaha slightly warm if that means anything. I didn't get to hear the Anthem but it was even more the Marantz so I settled on the 3060.

No problems with delivery. It feels heavy and sturdy when you lift it out of the box. Set up was pretty easy. One HDMI cable out of the receiver to the TV. And 3 HDMI ins from Oppo 105, firestick and Direct TV. (I'm normally more of a cable guy but satellite is the only way for me to see my Eagles games here in AZ. I also hooked up a pair of analog cables out of the Oppo. I made speaker connections and powered up. Ascend Acoustic towers with the Horizon center and a Rythmik sub, F12. Music mostly comes from a Windows 10 PC using JRiver streaming uncompressed WAV and some FLAC files. Display is a Sony.

After hook up I configured a few things in the menu. Named the HDMI inputs, told the receiver to pass through video unprocessed and set it to "standby pass through" Meaning of course you can watch TV with out the receiver being on. There was no change in video quality that I could see. I plugged in the Ethernet cable and there was a firmware that took about 20 minutes. The Yamaha instantly recognized my network. I scrolled through my music files and began playing a few tunes. I could instantly hear the improvement in sound ove my old receiver. My speakers never sounded better. The highs, the bass, clarity, everything! Even at low volumes the music sounded more dynamic. A big plus is the Yamaha recognizes and displays album art for WAV files! Gapeless playback was flawless. I think my beloved 105 gets retired as a music streamer.

I ran YPAO on the second day and readings from 5 different locations. It took maybe 10 minutes. The music sounded better still. Not a night and day difference but tighter bass for sure. it se my speakers to large but I set them to small and settle on a 60hz crossover, and chose the "Natural" PEQ. I am really impressed with the sound for 2 channel music. Clear, powerful, and dynamic. You can choose different EQ settings: Flat, Front, Natural, or Through (no EQ at all) or you can choose manual and do it yourself. The manual EQ is 7 bands.

I don't use DSP modes. Yamaha could've left them out. They are supposed to recreate the sound of a live venue I guess, but If I were at a venue that sounded like that, I would get up and leave (after I finished my beer of course :D) Subwoofer placement options and room acoustics I think are my biggest problem now, but this receiver is great for music. Movies are great too. Clean clear dialogue, and enough volume and dynamics to shake the place up. NFL games sound great too. With certain stadiums the the networks can place the mics closer to the field, and you can easily hear the players on the field talking before before the snap. Very cool, if you are into it.

There are many option to tailor the sound: YPAO Volume, High Res Music Enhancer, Extra Bass. all are available bu clicking the options button on the remote. Ah the remote, it sucks. Far too many tiny buttons and not back lit. Luckily the phone app works good, but I wish they would give you a better remote. But once you set the receiver up it is very simple to use in day to day operation. Simply select the source AV1,2 or 3, and your sound choice, or save scenes and it will automatically select your sound option. Plenty of music options to, Pandora, Spotify, Internet Radio, Network, XM, etc.

Switching HDMI sources takes about 3 or 4 seconds a guess, not too bad. But I don't have anything to compare it too since it's my first HDMI receiver.

All in all, I'm happy with the purchase. Many audiophiles say receivers are a compromise when it comes to two channel audio, if that's the case, I want to stay ignorant, because this thing sounds way better than my Yamaha 2500 and does more with fewer cables :) I'm not sure if adding an external amp would provide improved sound quality, so I'm just going to leave it alone for now. Thanks for reading.
Nice write up. :) The only DSP mode I use is sports, especially when watching NHL hockey games. I thought that particular DSP mode does a decent job on capturing the ambience of a big venue rink.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Nice write up. :) The only DSP mode I use is sports, especially when watching NHL hockey games. I thought that particular DSP mode does a decent job on capturing the ambience of a big venue rink.
Thanks 3db, Flyers are playing the Penguins right now, I'm going to try it :)

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Looking to get one of those myself, so thanks for the encouragement!

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Let me know how you like it.
3bd - A few years back I had the opportunity to go to my first NHL game. It was the Flyers and the Dallas Stars. I took my brother who is also a hockey fan. I can say it's a fantastic sport to see live! As good or better than attending one of the other major sports, IMO. Using the Sport mode on the 3060 took me a little closer to being in the arena. The sound is expansive but focused. I'm going to try this mode with other sports. Thanks again!

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Looking to get one of those myself, so thanks for the encouragement!
TheWarrior - Your welcome. :) I didn't want to sound too much like a fan boy, but I'm impressed all the way around. Sound quality, build quality, ease of use, features. It really is a great machine. I don't think you will be disappointed. Let me know when you pull the trigger and we'll compare notes.
:D

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
Very thoughtful review of your new baby. I'm currently awaiting the arrival of the 3060's slightly smaller brother the 2060 after returning a Marantz SR6011. The heat issue on the Marantz was well noted in another thread here I had started, and for whatever reasons that were never definitively identified, the Marantz wasn't cutting it for me. So I'm very interested to hear anyone's take on the higher end Yamahas, as I opted for that line instead.

I agree, they put way too many "sound enhancers" in these things all around and none of them have ever actually made it sound better IMHO.

How is the Yamaha doing for you with movies? Have you tested out any good films on it yet?

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
TheWarrior - Your welcome. :) I didn't want to sound too much like a fan boy, but I'm impressed all the way around. Sound quality, build quality, ease of use, features. It really is a great machine. I don't think you will be disappointed. Let me know when you pull the trigger and we'll compare notes.
:D
Ordered! It'll be two weeks or so but the price was right. Ordered a PJ as well, so much to do/test/change. Woohoo!

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Very thoughtful review of your new baby. I'm currently awaiting the arrival of the 3060's slightly smaller brother the 2060 after returning a Marantz SR6011. The heat issue on the Marantz was well noted in another thread here I had started, and for whatever reasons that were never definitively identified, the Marantz wasn't cutting it for me. So I'm very interested to hear anyone's take on the higher end Yamahas, as I opted for that line instead.

I agree, they put way too many "sound enhancers" in these things all around and none of them have ever actually made it sound better IMHO.

How is the Yamaha doing for you with movies? Have you tested out any good films on it yet?
Hey Halon451 - I finally connected some surround speakers to listen to movies in 5.1. I watched Gravity, and the surround sound was powerful. The placement of sounds, and the panning from front to back was precise. The hairs on the back of my neck were raising. My sub is not a very high output sub, but when I turned up the volume to about -15db, the room shook , it damn near blow me off the couch.

The heat issue with the Marantz scared me away from them. It might have been fine, but I went to the store several times to listen, and every time I went, the Marantz was HOT to the touch, and the the Yamaha was little a warm. I could detect very little, if any, difference in sound between the $2100 7011 and the Yamaha 1060, at just over a grand. I don't think you can go wrong with these upper end Yamaha's. If you didn't read it already, here is a great review of the 2060, where the reviewer calls it one of the best receivers, period.

http://avproductreviews.com/yamaha-rx-a2060-review/

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Ordered! It'll be two weeks or so but the price was right. Ordered a PJ as well, so much to do/test/change. Woohoo!
Oh Man!!! Congrats my friend. That is awesome...You will love it! I don't know what speakers you have, but I'm betting that they will enjoy it as well :) but what is a PJ?

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Oh Man!!! Congrats my friend. That is awesome...You will love it! I don't know what speakers you have, but I'm betting that they will enjoy it as well :) but what is a PJ?
Thanks! My Philharmonic 3's are powered by separate amps, but I'm moving the RBH WM-30's around so I'll have 7 channels total. Been borrowing receivers the last couple years, and while I was always a Denon fan, there are some questionable quality issues that have come up. I seldom hear of Yamaha failures, and I don't use room correction (I do math!) so it was an easy choice after finding a march madness deal.

PJ=projector. I've love my 42" plasma but I bought it when we lived in a tiny place, perfect size for viewing distance. Been wanting a bigger screen for a while, but I'm not impressed with any current TV's, and OLED is still too expensive. Found deals on entry PJs (because they're ONLY 1080P) so I nabbed an Epson 2045 and extra bulb. Ideal blacks are had on an 80-90" screen which gives a throw distance exactly where the coffee table is. I'll figure out it's height/placement and build a custom cabinet to house it, and then run the cable under the floor.

Now, lots and lots of work to get subs ideally placed and corrected, remove plasma and paint a screen, finish renovating downstairs so it looks like a respectable HT/living room. The WM30's are a bit tall to be discreet, and the room isn't very big so form is definitely following function, but the wife loves it. WIN!

M

mxl160

Audiophyte
I'm looking at picking one up myself. Did you get it from a local place or online?

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I'm looking at picking one up myself. Did you get it from a local place or online?
Visual Apex.... I suspect their sale ends tonight tho, FYI. Includes choice of mount and a 20' hdmi cable.

Not sure why the 2045 is less than the 2040, same model just adds some wifi features. Optoma HD28SE was my alternate, being DLP= better blacks. But reading reviews said it was a marginal difference, and being entry projectors, just respect the set up distances. Recommended 80-90" screen.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/paint_perfect_screen_$100.htm?page=Finding-the-Perfect-Paint

I'll be trying out the recommended Sherwin Williams paint, but will be building up and sanding several coats of Kilz oil based primer to achieve a flat surface first. The paint is a trim paint, and it's viscosity is intended to naturally even out before curing so brush/roller strokes should vanish.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Oh, and Epson lamps are $70 compared to $170 for the Optoma!

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
Hey Halon451 - I finally connected some surround speakers to listen to movies in 5.1. I watched Gravity, and the surround sound was powerful. The placement of sounds, and the panning from front to back was precise. The hairs on the back of my neck were raising. My sub is not a very high output sub, but when I turned up the volume to about -15db, the room shook , it damn near blow me off the couch.

The heat issue with the Marantz scared me away from them. It might have been fine, but I went to the store several times to listen, and every time I went, the Marantz was HOT to the touch, and the the Yamaha was little a warm. I could detect very little, if any, difference in sound between the $2100 7011 and the Yamaha 1060, at just over a grand. I don't think you can go wrong with these upper end Yamaha's. If you didn't read it already, here is a great review of the 2060, where the reviewer calls it one of the best receivers, period.

http://avproductreviews.com/yamaha-rx-a2060-review/
Yes sir I did read that review several days ago (and many others) and it definitely gave me some good reassurances that my money is being well spent. Plus the bench test data on the 2060's nearest relative, the RX-A2050 is miles above its competition with far greater headroom and margin to THD.

IME, heat and electronics don't usually make for a good combination.

As for the buying options - doesn't seem to be many high-end AV stores here where I live these days (Tampa, FL area), so I begrudgingly have to go to my local Best Buy. It's where I picked up the Marantz in the first place, and subsequently returned it. Their Magnolia store didn't even stock the Yamaha RX-A2060, let alone the 3060; even in their display shelf the highest they had was the Yamaha RX-A1060. So I had to order it and just got the notification this morning that it's arrived at the local outlet here and is ready for pickup! I'm excited to get this bad boy home and get her tuned up and test her out. :)

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Yes sir I did read that review several days ago (and many others) and it definitely gave me some good reassurances that my money is being well spent. Plus the bench test data on the 2060's nearest relative, the RX-A2050 is miles above its competition with far greater headroom and margin to THD.

IME, heat and electronics don't usually make for a good combination.

As for the buying options - doesn't seem to be many high-end AV stores here where I live these days (Tampa, FL area), so I begrudgingly have to go to my local Best Buy. It's where I picked up the Marantz in the first place, and subsequently returned it. Their Magnolia store didn't even stock the Yamaha RX-A2060, let alone the 3060; even in their display shelf the highest they had was the Yamaha RX-A1060. So I had to order it and just got the notification this morning that it's arrived at the local outlet here and is ready for pickup! I'm excited to get this bad boy home and get her tuned up and test her out. :)
That is awesome man! Congrats! I had the exact same experience. I had to go to BB where I live (Tucson). They had the 7011 and the 1060 on display. Hence the comparison between those two. With the price difference it shouldn't have been a fair fight, but they were so even it was kinda stunning. Enjoy your new amp!!

M

mxl160

Audiophyte
Visual Apex.... I suspect their sale ends tonight tho, FYI. Includes choice of mount and a 20' hdmi cable.

Not sure why the 2045 is less than the 2040, same model just adds some wifi features. Optoma HD28SE was my alternate, being DLP= better blacks. But reading reviews said it was a marginal difference, and being entry projectors, just respect the set up distances. Recommended 80-90" screen.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/paint_perfect_screen_$100.htm?page=Finding-the-Perfect-Paint

I'll be trying out the recommended Sherwin Williams paint, but will be building up and sanding several coats of Kilz oil based primer to achieve a flat surface first. The paint is a trim paint, and it's viscosity is intended to naturally even out before curing so brush/roller strokes should vanish.
Sorry, I meant the 3060:)

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Thanks! My Philharmonic 3's are powered by separate amps, but I'm moving the RBH WM-30's around so I'll have 7 channels total. Been borrowing receivers the last couple years, and while I was always a Denon fan, there are some questionable quality issues that have come up. I seldom hear of Yamaha failures, and I don't use room correction (I do math!) so it was an easy choice after finding a march madness deal.

PJ=projector. I've love my 42" plasma but I bought it when we lived in a tiny place, perfect size for viewing distance. Been wanting a bigger screen for a while, but I'm not impressed with any current TV's, and OLED is still too expensive. Found deals on entry PJs (because they're ONLY 1080P) so I nabbed an Epson 2045 and extra bulb. Ideal blacks are had on an 80-90" screen which gives a throw distance exactly where the coffee table is. I'll figure out it's height/placement and build a custom cabinet to house it, and then run the cable under the floor.

Now, lots and lots of work to get subs ideally placed and corrected, remove plasma and paint a screen, finish renovating downstairs so it looks like a respectable HT/living room. The WM30's are a bit tall to be discreet, and the room isn't very big so form is definitely following function, but the wife loves it. WIN!
Ahh projector, OK. Phil 3s with external amps Quite the system Sir! Sounds like you have a fun little project going, and a happy wife is a win win. Yeah, I've read on several forums about quirky issues with Denon and Marantz (HDMI, network issues, etc.) I bought a Denon 6300 and returned it last year. I tried everything, i just couldn't get it to sound good for 2 channel in my room. Yamaha's have all been rock solid for me.

I would be interested to know how the 3060 performs as a pre-amp if you plan to use it in that capacity.

I agree with you on the TV situation. I opted for a Sony 930D, it's not Plasma or OLD, but I'm not unhappy with it. It is not perfect but it does have a good picture.

On the room correction. I know a lot of people like Audessy, partly because it EQs 15 cycles below what YPAO does, but I just didn't think it was all that. I have to admit, I have not done measurements or tried to EQ myself. I downloaded Room EQ but I don't have a mic yet. I would pay somebody to come over and show me how to do it. LOL......if I though it would make an audible difference in my room.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis