Can I hook up one set of speakers to two separate receivers?

W

Willjk

Audiophyte
I'm just getting back into paying more attention to my audio equipment. All started when my girlfriend gave me a turntable for Christmas last year....So I have an older Dennon receiver that works well. I bought a pair of Klipsch R-26F's with 10" Subwoofer. I was surfing Monoprice for speaker cable and ran across their 50W Tube amp for like $199 and bought it as well. New amp sounds great and couldn't be happier. The only problem is the tube amp only has one RCA input and I need 3. Can I hook my speakers up to both amp/receiver so I can play either one without hurting the speakers/amp/receiver or is there a better solution? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I'm just getting back into paying more attention to my audio equipment. All started when my girlfriend gave me a turntable for Christmas last year....So I have an older Dennon receiver that works well. I bought a pair of Klipsch R-26F's with 10" Subwoofer. I was surfing Monoprice for speaker cable and ran across their 50W Tube amp for like $199 and bought it as well. New amp sounds great and couldn't be happier. The only problem is the tube amp only has one RCA input and I need 3. Can I hook my speakers up to both amp/receiver so I can play either one without hurting the speakers/amp/receiver or is there a better solution? Thanks in advance!
Short answer--you are asking for trouble!

If it were me, I would solve my issue by purchasing a 2nd set of speakers for the 2nd amp.

W

Willjk

Audiophyte
I figured it was a problem waiting to happen...It'll be a fun problem to solve though!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
As long as they both aren't on at the same time, you could technically do it. The first time you accidentally turn them both on though, they will both fry.

Their tube amp is not really a tube amp, it is a tube pre with a SS amp.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

You could use a speaker selector switch wired backwards, but as everyone else has noted, if you ever engage both amps at the same time (and standard speaker selector switches do allow this) one or both of the amps could toast. If you can find a speaker selector switch that only has an “A or B” option instead of “A + B”, that would work. Lacking that, you could make your own with one of these and a project box.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

W

Willjk

Audiophyte
As long as they both aren't on at the same time, you could technically do it. The first time you accidentally turn them both on though, they will both fry.

Their tube amp is not really a tube amp, it is a tube pre with a SS amp.
Thanks for the warning...You're right on the monoprice amp but it got my toe back in the water....

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Run one set of speakers wires from each amp/receiver to the speakers. Terminate with banana plugs, mark each set clearly. Now you have to deliberately disconnect speakers from one amp to use the other.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for the warning...You're right on the monoprice amp but it got my toe back in the water....
How does it sound? I was considering picking one up myself for the bedroom until I saw that it was only on the pre-side. At one point they were selling B-stock (presumably returns) for $149 and I was close, but ended up with the Emotiva Mini X-A100.

W

Willjk

Audiophyte
How does it sound? I was considering picking one up myself for the bedroom until I saw that it was only on the pre-side. At one point they were selling B-stock (presumably returns) for $149 and I was close, but ended up with the Emotiva Mini X-A100.
I think it sounds good. The turntable my girlfriend got me is low end and I haven't dialed in my Klipsch R-26F's with the subwoofer either so I don't have all the pieces put together just yet but the Allman Brothers Eat a Peach and Radioheads newest album sound like butter...Couldn't be happier with the $200 I spent.

M

Mark of Cenla

Full Audioholic
Try using the record out from the Denon into the one input on your newer amp. Just plug all of your sources into the Denon and use it to select sources. That would be safe. Peace and goodwill.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis