Is it worth saving up for the B&W 805 D3?

T

TwinXM

Audiophyte
Hello everybody,

So here is my dilemma, I was set to get the CM10 S2's. The sales man offered me to listen to the 800 series (805 D3)... and that's where my dilemma started...
Do you guys think it's worth waiting and saving? Or is it better to put the $2,000 towards new sub woofer or amp? (Currently I have HSU VTF-3 MK 3 and Denon 3808Ci)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
For music, your receiver and subwoofer are fine. Between the 805 d3 and cm10 s2, I would go for the 805s easily, no question. Let the sub handle the low frequencies. Those extra woofers on the CM10 are pointless with a sub like that. In the future I would think about adding a second subwoofer to smooth out the bass response. The second subwoofer should not be very different in design from your current sub.

Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay

Audioholic
Hello everybody,

So here is my dilemma, I was set to get the CM10 S2's. The sales man offered me to listen to the 800 series (805 D3)... and that's where my dilemma started...
Do you guys think it's worth waiting and saving? Or is it better to put the $2,000 towards new sub woofer or amp? (Currently I have HSU VTF-3 MK 3 and Denon 3808Ci)

I haven't heard CM10's but something to consider is that B&W will no doubt be upgrading it's entire lineup to include the new continuum cone FST, so the future CM10's might sound significantly better than they do at the moment.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
If I were in your shoes, I would think twice before spending a lot of money on B & W speakers. Like so many reputed brand names, you pay to some extent for the name.
I suggest that you listen to a lot of speakers, with recordings that you know well, beforehand.
Or, should you have knowledge about speaker cabinet building, you could save a bit as there are many excellent raw speaker kits which Parts Express, Madisound, Meniscus and Solen sell with the appropriate passive crossovers.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I haven't heard CM10's but something to consider is that B&W will no doubt be upgrading it's entire lineup to include the new continuum cone FST, so the future CM10's might sound significantly better than they do at the moment.
I don't know about any fst nor continuum, but I do know that op could spend that kind of money else where and get much better sound quality per price, like with Philharmonic audio

Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay

Audioholic
I don't know about any fst nor continuum, but I do know that op could spend that kind of money else where and get much better sound quality per price, like with Philharmonic audio
Maybe you're right but B&W speakers tend to hold their value better than most, and especially the 800 series, so that needs to be taken into account, along with B&W's customer service reputation.

And if the OP likes the B&W sound, as many classical music buffs do then the B&W's are probably still the ticket. I don't know of any speaker at less than twice the RRP of the D3 series that can reproduce piano like the D3 series does.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Between the CM10 and 805D3, I would take the CM10 towers.

The 805D may have better resale value than the CM10, but I don't think the 805D sound significantly better than the CM10 to justify the cost.

I say save your money and go with the CM10.

I also think any difference among the generations of drivers is insignificant and a waste of money.

T

TwinXM

Audiophyte
Thank you for all the replies! I'm trying to get best for the money without regretting my decision. Resell value matters, but it's not very crucial for me since I want to make a purchase that will stay with me for years.
As of other reputed brands, not many places carry them, so it would be hard to demo. (I can't even find KEF or Focal dealer anywhere near me!)

When it comes to DIY, I'm capable, just don't have time for that.

Other speaker that I really like is GoldenEar Triton One, I did listen to it last week and I really enjoyed the sound. Looks - not so much. Especially the base. So it's hard for me to spend that kind of money for something that I don't like aesthetically.

But back to the topic.
I have listen to both CM10 S2 and 805 D3 but never side by side on the same equipment, so maybe that's what I'll have to do next...

Thank you.

E

<eargiant

Senior Audioholic
I want to make a purchase that will stay with me for years.
If that's the case I suggest you shoot for the 805D3's. Add a high quality sub and they may be the last speakers you'll ever buy. They are exceptional.

I own CM5's and 805D2's and I can tell you that the 805D2's are definitely in another league.

Last edited:
haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
If I had the choice of a 3 way and a significantly better 2 way, I would go with the 2 way speaker and add really good subs, like svs or jl-audio.

If you buy something really good (read expensive), you will never regret after the payments have been done :p

Personally I am not a B&W fan but I imagine the combo of 805d3 and really good subs will be reference quality, close to the best cost-no-object speakers. I guess they don't have the limitless dynamic scale of really large floorstanders, but other than that I think it will be a total blast.

Last edited:
Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay

Audioholic
There are some good things about some of those measurements, but also some things that could stand some improvement.

B&W like to keep the crossover as simple as possible, which is a good aspiration but can't always be applied without some drawbacks.

The B&W engineers problem though is to some extent of their own creation. They've designed an excellent mid-bass driver and an excellent tweeter but it's clear that those drivers are a difficult fit with one another when simple first order filters are used and no passive equalisation is applied.

If I used 805D3's I would almost definitely use equalisation of some sort, whether dsp or analog, to correct that big bump in the treble.

M

Mechanizmo

Audiophyte
Thank you for all the replies! I'm trying to get best for the money without regretting my decision. Resell value matters, but it's not very crucial for me since I want to make a purchase that will stay with me for years.
As of other reputed brands, not many places carry them, so it would be hard to demo. (I can't even find KEF or Focal dealer anywhere near me!)

When it comes to DIY, I'm capable, just don't have time for that.

Other speaker that I really like is GoldenEar Triton One, I did listen to it last week and I really enjoyed the sound. Looks - not so much. Especially the base. So it's hard for me to spend that kind of money for something that I don't like aesthetically.

But back to the topic.
I have listen to both CM10 S2 and 805 D3 but never side by side on the same equipment, so maybe that's what I'll have to do next...

Thank you.
Hey bud,

If you are looking to spend a good deal of money on possible end game speakers....or like you said, speakers that will stay with you for many years......I'd stay away from brands like B$W and other brands that are well marketed. ( you also stated that resale is not very crucial to you )

I'm 39 and just ordered my final pair of towers ( 2nd hand )...may never sell them, nor need to. My ( soon to be shipped here:) ) PBN Montana XPS signature towers had cost about $24k when first introduced in 2006....I'm getting them delivered here soon for around $5000 plus shipping. This pair has been used by the company owner and has a lifetime guarantee. They are shipped in crates and weigh over 200lbs apiece, loaded with drivers made by SEAS and Scanspeak....2 great manufacturers.

My PBN Eps2's will be relegated to the rear.....but if I wanted to sell them, I'd lose a lot of cash due to the obscurity of the builder within the general audio fraternity. That's the only drawback....the B&W's will offer less bang for your buck, but you will be able to sell them at a high dollar amount if dissatisfied, or wish to change.

A dealer will always push you to go for the more expensive line....they will obviously make a greater profit, plus they have limited options to offer you in that price range. ( Brand Wise )

Cheers my friend!
Brian

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I used to own 3 pairs of the excellent KEF Reference 201/2 bookshelf speakers, which are one of the best measured speakers, definitely much better measured than the B&W speakers.

And although the KEF 201/2 sounded great, especially when combined with excellent subwoofers, in the end, to me they were still just "bookshelf speakers". So I ended up selling them and buying bigger towers.

Of course, that's just me. Some people are 100% happy with bookshelf speakers forever.

But I'm just sharing my personal experience on excellent bookshelf speakers.

T

TwinXM

Audiophyte
The more I read and think about it I'm starting to lean towards other brands and tower speakers...

To be honest, I don't feel comfortable spending $6,000 on a pair of bookshelf speakers that require additional $1,000 worth of stands, they look beautiful with the original stands but it feels like wasted $.

So like I mentioned before I'm open for different brands and used market.

One of my top choices is Revel Performa3 F208
Other considerations: KEF R900

What do you guys think?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Maybe you're right but B&W speakers tend to hold their value better than most, and especially the 800 series, so that needs to be taken into account, along with B&W's customer service reputation.

And if the OP likes the B&W sound, as many classical music buffs do then the B&W's are probably still the ticket. I don't know of any speaker at less than twice the RRP of the D3 series that can reproduce piano like the D3 series does.
The more I read and think about it I'm starting to lean towards other brands and tower speakers...

To be honest, I don't feel comfortable spending $6,000 on a pair of bookshelf speakers that require additional $1,000 worth of stands, they look beautiful with the original stands but it feels like wasted $.

One of my top choices is Revel Performa3 F208
Other considerations: KEF R900

What do you guys think?
So holding value, brand recognition are surely important factors, but tell it Mechanizmo dude, which bought hugely massive PBN speakers, which honestly Is the very first time I even heard that brand.
I agree, Philharmonic audio is what consider a tiny - it's really one man operation, but I do recommend you do a bit on research on him - it's worth it. Did you know what among other, we help to design most of Salk Audio speakers?
And speaking of Salk, During AH GTG 2012 many vendors came to showcase their products, but nothing even came close to mind blowing sound of SS8 towers. They are a bit over your budget, but other Salk tower speakers could provide very similar sound signature, like VERACITY HT3

First I double dare to find Salk speakers second hand - owners don't usually decide to part with them and second, from what I seen prices seem to hold nicely. I'd guess not unheard off to get back around 70% of original value ( minus custom veneer extra if selected). Finding the right buyer could be bit harder, but not impossible.

Imo HT3 easily beat 804 D3's hands down better speaker in all objective aspects.

E

<eargiant

Senior Audioholic

That's an easy one. Just locate a pair of used 805D2's that are for sale and you will get off the speaker merry-go-round.

Buying them used means that someone else will have paid the depreciation. In the unlikely event you sell them you can probably do so for close to what you paid.

FWIW, I have massive well regarded 50" tall full-range speakers set up in another room and my 805D2's paired with only one REL S/2 sub give nothing up in dynamics and scale without loosing their composure. In addition, this combination has produced, to my ears, the most hi-fidelity sound I have ever had in here.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis