Marantz PM6005 amp sound problem

R

restorado

Audiophyte
I have a PM6005 amp and a CD6005 CD player. The sound is too high on the right speaker and no sound on the left speaker. The volume won't turn down. When I turn the volume up some the sound from the left speaker comes on. I switched speaker wires to see if it was a speaker problem. Now the right speaker won't come on until the volume is turned up some, so it appears there is a problem with the left channel. The same thing happens with a FM tuner or anything else connected. It has been working fine for about a year and a half.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Definitely sounds like an issue with that channel as confirmed by it following that side when you swapped wires. Probably going to need to get it looked at.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
We can't fix that for you. Obviously the unit has a serious problem requiring professional service.

I suspect you will have to send it in to an approved Marantz authorized service center. Unfortunately local service guys are long gone in most places. The reasons for that are mainly a lack of published circuits and service manuals, and the fact that a lot of modern gear is put together in way that makes circuit boards not repairable.
So the whole board has to be replaced, if you can get it.

If the cost of repairing that little integrated becomes prohibitive then I would strongly recommend good vintage gear. Good vintage gear is a much better bet. If you need digital connections the you can always add an external DAC.

R

restorado

Audiophyte
I have a PM6005 amp and a CD6005 CD player. The sound is too high on the right speaker and no sound on the left speaker. The volume won't turn down. When I turn the volume up some the sound from the left speaker comes on. I switched speaker wires to see if it was a speaker problem. Now the right speaker won't come on until the volume is turned up some, so it appears there is a problem with the left channel. The same thing happens with a FM tuner or anything else connected. It has been working fine for about a year and a half.

Problem solved:

The sound problem on my Marantz PM6005 is fixed. I had turned the sound all the way down and the right speaker had just a little sound. I turned the sound up a little bit and was messing with the audio cables and the left speaker come on then went off. When I wiggled the cord the left speaker would come on. This audio cable is a Monster gold plated. I replaced it with another cable and everything works fine. The reason I did’nt check the audio cables before is because when I would turn the volume up the left speaker would come on. It was explained to me by a guy that repairs electronics that as the volume is turned up the increase in ohms would make contact, something like that?

I am 79 years old, are’nt you supposed to get smarter when you get older? My neighbor says sometimes it goes the other way. On usually Thursday, Friday and Saturday evenings my wife and I listen to modern jazz, new age, alternative and modern rock. I have a pair of Klipsch Lascala speakers that I bought in 1976. They would cost about $7000 a pair now. My brother is a year and a half younger and listens to modern music also. Our youngest brother likes the old classics. He calls us “hippys” Are’nt hippies outdated?

Anyway everybody, check your cables and things some problems can be simple.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis