a dilemma....cerwin vega at-15 vs klipsch chours 2

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
For around 800-1000$ you can get great sub. But 500-600$ can get you going. First we need to know your budget so we can recommend something.

B

BriReeves629

Audioholic
Klipsch all the way. I have all Klipsch in my system and they don't require near as much power to achieve their potential. This allows you more head room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

F

Flathead31coupe

Junior Audioholic
what's the best size. and design? to perform like the 15'' cv

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
what's the best size. and design? to perform like the 15'' cv
Almost any decent subwoofer is going to out perform the cv's. You've been asked for a budget like 3 times in this thread. Without knowing what you can spend we can't really make any meaningful recommendations.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Now you're talking. You can get a really nice sub in that price range. I'd start with Hsu Research. The VTF models offer the most flexibility and are powerful. I ordered 2 of them (VTF-3 MK5) and they're due here today. I always recommend going with 2 subs for better bass response, but even one of those will completely blow the cv's away for bass response.

B

BriReeves629

Audioholic
Have you looked at Definitive Technologies at all? Their Supercube 6000 retails at $999 and they are beastly.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Another thing to consider about going with the Klipsch and sub combo, you apparently like it ridiculously loud. If you have the subs picking up the slack for low end you'll be able to play the Klipsch louder without distortion and it won't tax your amp as much.

Take it from someone with tinnitus. Listening at those volumes will give you permanent hearing damage. Just be careful. It doesn't come back.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Have you looked at Definitive Technologies at all? Their Supercube 6000 retails at $999 and they are beastly.

Deftech does NOT make the best subs and they're way overpriced. Hsu, SVS, Rythmik and some others specialize in nothing but making good subwoofers.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

I would get best duals you can afford from HSU, or if you only have space for one sub then best sub from HSU you can afford. Any of those subs will provide a lot better bass than those CV any day. With dual subs you will get more even response.

F

Flathead31coupe

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for all the help...and sry for my confusion....i was just wanting to know how much it would to get a sub that would equal the CV bass

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for all the help...and sry for my confusion....i was just wanting to know how much it would to get a sub that would equal the CV bass
$5-600 will get you a sub that will not only be equal, it will be much better. I think you're giving the cv's too much credit. once you hear your music with a sub in the mix you'll see what I mean.

I do agree with Ty about getting 2 for more even response, but if it's not in the budget...

B

BriReeves629

Audioholic
I'm not real familiar with HSU. Would you have a recommendation from them for a theater system?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes. Strongly. I'm on a Hsu kick right now because I just ordered a couple, but they're not the only good sub manufacturers out there. Though you're probably going to get the best price/performance ratio from Hsu.

You should also check out SVS and Rythmik. All 3 make very good subwoofers and are reasonably priced.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

I'm not real familiar with HSU. Would you have a recommendation from them for a theater system?

They make great subs for both music/movies. For the speakers I dont have so much knowledge of and I dont see them recommended that much. If you are looking for speakers as well, perhaps you should make new topic under loudspeakers and state your budget and needs.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan

Id stay away from most all retail sub offerings. Internet Direct is a btetter value for the dollar. DIY even more so. If you're looking for small Subs with big output in retail, your looking at 2k minimum.

B

BriReeves629

Audioholic
They make great subs for both music/movies. For the speakers I dont have so much knowledge of and I dont see them recommended that much. If you are looking for speakers as well, perhaps you should make new topic under loudspeakers and state your budget and needs.
Just sub woofers. I am using Klipsch already for speakers.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
HSU, Rythmik, SVS, Seaton Sound , JTF, PSA, Funk, to name a few of the more popular ones.

If your budget is low and expectations big, DIY Subs with flat pack cabinets are the way to go.

EDIT
For some good reviews aside from here, look at
http://www.data-bass.com/systems

Last edited:
tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Just sub woofers. I am using Klipsch already for speakers.

HSU offers one of best value for subs.. There are other good brands as well like Rythmik, SVS and PSA. HSU have been really common around here lately how ever.

F

Flathead31coupe

Junior Audioholic
is there any way to use both set of speakers the 4ohm cv and the 8ohm klips to get the best of both worlds...if so what is needed thanks. my kenwood is 8-16 ohms 130 watts 2 ch stereo, 100 watts surround

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis