Devices:
iPod touch 5th gen
Google Nexus 5x
Macbook Pro 2010

Sources:
Limited HiRes purchases from HDTracks
Rips of MP3 and Flac from my own CDs
Google Play Music

Currently using Sennheiser Momentum earbud.

Listens to soft rock, pops, little jazz and organ music.
Likes clear instruments, vocals and natural bass.

If I have US$400 to spend to improve my music enjoyment, what would you recommend?
1. All on headphone
2. All on DAC/Amp
3. Both headphone and DAC/Amp

Thanks

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
First off, it's easy to spend money just to spend money but it really helps if you could elucidate a bit on exactly what you feel your current is lacking.

Normally, the most effective agent of change in a system is the speakers, particularly a subwoofer when organ music is involved.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
There is a good deal on headphones right now, only down side is long delivery time: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/fostex-x-massdrop-th-x00-purpleheart-headphones?referer=4568TG&mode=guest_open

If you want to add an amp/dac then this one will be all you will ever need: https://www.jdslabs.com/products/48/objective2-odac-combo-revb/

For IEM you most likely wont need amp how ever, but if you are getting a nice pair of headphones they will benefit from using an amp. If you are after neutral sound I would take a look on Sennheiser HD600 or HD598/HD558 depending on budget on headphones. Another headphone I personally like is Beyerdynamic DT990 but it is not as neutral as HD600 for example.

Best thing to do would be auditioning as many headphones as you can in your budget and what ever sounds best to you is your upgrade, if there is any. As every one prefers different things its hard to tell what would be best for you. Just listen to some songs you are familiar with when you compare and you are set.

L1C4

L1C4

Enthusiast
Devices:
iPod touch 5th gen
Google Nexus 5x
Macbook Pro 2010

Sources:
Limited HiRes purchases from HDTracks
Rips of MP3 and Flac from my own CDs
Google Play Music

Currently using Sennheiser Momentum earbud.

Listens to soft rock, pops, little jazz and organ music.
Likes clear instruments, vocals and natural bass.

If I have US$400 to spend to improve my music enjoyment, what would you recommend?
1. All on headphone
2. All on DAC/Amp
3. Both headphone and DAC/Amp

Thanks
Get used headphones like HD600 and find a used DAC/Amp like Oppo HA-2 since the SE revision just came out.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis