Anything close to Oppo on a budget?

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Looking for a new BD player. Currently run a Sony PS3 that died. Anything close to OPPO but on a budget?
I did a search and couldn't really narrow and suggestions down. Would like to keep it 300 and under.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
To do what? Both movies and music? Yamaha BD-S681 is right around the $300 price point and seems to handle anything but 4K discs.

Get the PS3 repaired?

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Movies ratio will be about 70/30 over music. Want good quality and the ability to maybe watch without the black bars without blurring the pic to much on certain ratios.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
For use just as a transport, lots of options; or are you looking for what specific features like the Oppo you're trying to emulate? For $200 I see you can get a new PS3 with the bonus of 500 gigs of storage (if you use it).

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
For use just as a transport, lots of options; or are you looking for what specific features like the Oppo you're trying to emulate? For $200 I see you can get a new PS3 with the bonus of 500 gigs of storage (if you use it).[/Q
No need for the extra HD space. I'll have to research a bit more to see what I want out of a player.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I only would use a player as a transport, and look to the lower priced Sonys for my last few, might consider Panasonic from general forum posting on the subject. I, and quite a few others, had a horrible experience with a Samsung BD unit. I still use a PS3 in my main system, Sony S5100s in two others I picked up for $60 each; they work very well. I don't need any analog output nor any special file handling from the unit, just basic streaming capabilities and transport for optical discs....

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The Samsung players tended to have a pretty poor track record in general. I'd stick with Panny or Sony on the cheap side. Both have done well for me, but I preferred the Pannys. I picked up an older Panny that still had multichannel analog out for like $50 and it worked great. Current inexpensive models will only have HDMI out FYI.

L1C4

L1C4

Enthusiast
Movies ratio will be about 70/30 over music. Want good quality and the ability to maybe watch without the black bars without blurring the pic to much on certain ratios.
Depends on if you need SACD capability.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Depends on if you need SACD capability.
I only have a few SACD disc. No big deal here. I went ahead a got the Oppo. Been wanting one for a while now. Thanks for the replies.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Which OPPO? Now, get a few multi-channel SACDs and take them for a drive. You will be thrilled. Reference Recordings has a great selection.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
The UDP-203. I didn't have the budget for the higher end one.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
The UDP-203. I didn't have the budget for the higher end one.
I got my oppo player not so long ago and I must say I'm really satisfied with the player even though it was not cheap. Would recommend oppo to any one looking for new player if the budget allows it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis