a dilemma....cerwin vega at-15 vs klipsch chours 2

F

Flathead31coupe

Junior Audioholic
I have had the cv for many years, outstanding...exept for when going really loud I mean loud they want to cut out.... they are 4ohm. and are going through my kenwood kc-x1 km-x1..system is 8-16 ohms. both system and speakers have been in the shop... could not find anything wrong...but said how loud do you need to hear them. lol any way I just got the chours 2 they are 8 ohms, and they sound amazing.. different bass but don't cut out... ideas on what to keep, iam sure its a matter of the music you like to hear... juts looking for thoughts thanks,,,

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
The Klipsch are the keepers, IMO. Try them heavily toed in, as in 45 degrees or more, so their axis cross well in front of the main listening position.

F

Flathead31coupe

Junior Audioholic
thanks for the reply...iam still stuck in the 80s some what hair bands loud and good base are a must but though I haven't fully tested the klipsch yet... will on fri... they sound amazing so far

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Keep what ever sounds best to you? Ofc if you have output issues with cv then Klipsch is no brainer to keep.

F

Flathead31coupe

Junior Audioholic
Even with the cutting out issues the CV have a heavier bass....but the klip are clearer and don't cut out...do you guys think the difference in the 4ohm on the CV with the 8-16 ohm on the amp is causing the amp to cut out up super loud

F

Flathead31coupe

Junior Audioholic
Just a thought can the klips be modes for equal or better bass than the CV..klip have a passive radiator and the CV are ported

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

I would guess that those CV drop way under the rated 4Ohm and yes that can cause problems with many amps. If you want good sound I would look for speakers with good overall sound and get a sub for the low end.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Even with the cutting out issues the CV have a heavier bass....but the klip are clearer and don't cut out...
In spite of their ginormous size and use of a passive 15", the chorus really don't dig terribly deep. They have huge capability above 60 hz or so, though, and comparably lower distortion. The CV probably dig deeper, but do things in an overall sloppier manner, and have less dynamic range.
Just a thought can the klips be modes for equal or better bass than the CV..klip have a passive radiator and the CV are ported
Both the cv and Klipsch are reflex enclosures (ports and passive radiators serve the same purpose). They're tuned quite differently; CV's are boomers, where the Klipsch are more on the tight and dry side of the bass spectrum.
do you guys think the difference in the 4ohm on the CV with the 8-16 ohm on the amp is causing the amp to cut out up super loud
? Tube amp with different taps? Just be careful when listening super loud...hearing damage is cumulative, and permanent.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Just because you are stuck in the 80s doesn't mean your speakers need to be :) Even though they are sensitive, you'll still want quality amplification.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
So it states 130W in stereo for that amp, 20-20K @ .03% THD (though for some reason it says 65W 1KHz @ .0015% THD). 100W all channels driven. Though they're odd specs, it sounds like it should be adequate.

F

Flathead31coupe

Junior Audioholic
so if I keep the klip for the great mids and highs... is there a powered woofer that will compare or beat the cv... if so what is it?

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
If memory serves doesn't the AT-15 have circuit protection on the tweeter??? If that is what you are tripping when you say cutting out then the amp is probably being over drivin into clipping and causing it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

F

Flathead31coupe

Junior Audioholic
both system and speakers have been in the shop... could not find anything wrong...but said how loud do you need to hear them. lol

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
Given the sensitivities of both speakers you must be listening at an insane volume in excess of 110dB if the amp truly outputs 130wpc. Keep that up and you it won't matter if your amp or speakers are defective because you won't be able to hear st all. Does the amp make a clicking sound like it's tripping the protection circuit? For speakers themselves to just cut out and then be fine at lower volumes doesn't sound like a speaker issue.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

F

Flathead31coupe

Junior Audioholic
just the speakers cut out then fine at a lower volumes.

F

Flathead31coupe

Junior Audioholic
I have been told to keep the klips and get a powered sub....my ? is will it be as good or better than the booming base the cv have...thoughts or recommendations

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

Better give us a budget or I’m going to trot out a recommendation for a $3500 subwoofer. :)

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

F

Flathead31coupe

Junior Audioholic
How much would it take to get a sub that matches the cv at-15 bass or better....and what sub..

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How much would it take to get a sub that matches the cv at-15 bass or better....and what sub..
Pretty much any decent sub should out perform the CVs. Probably start with a budget of $600 or so....check out Rythmik, SVS, Power Sound Audio, Hsu.....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis