Looking for some bookshelf speakers 150$ or less for gaming and tv Thank you

M

Matthew Quenette

Audioholic Intern
i was thinking about buying the Polk audio tsi 100s. I had a pair of tsi 200s in the past however I was wreck less and blew the tweeters. I want to know if there's anything better for the price. I'm using Bose 141s right now paired with a Yamaha r-s700 stereo receiver and Polk psw 505 subwoofer. I'm not an expert on choosing speakers. I prefer a warm crisp sound. I don't usually turn my receiver up very loud either.

M

Matthew Quenette

Audioholic Intern
I emailed Phil harmonics for the shipping on those speakers.
However how are the Yamaha NS6490 3 way speakers? Would you recommend the pioneers over the Polk tsi 100s? Will also consider vintage speakers. I found a lot on eBay but I know nothing about them...

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I emailed Phil harmonics for the shipping on those speakers.
However how are the Yamaha NS6490 3 way speakers? Would you recommend the pioneers over the Polk tsi 100s? Will also consider vintage speakers. I found a lot on eBay but I know nothing about them...
I practically recommend anything over polk. At same price points, polk will always have a inferior product (performance wise)
I owned somewhat similar yamaha before - they were ok, but nothing to wring home about
But least I could tell you is amazon reviews are not likely to be fake:
http://fakespot.com/product/yamaha-ns-6490-3-way-bookshelf-speakers-black-finish-pair

p.s: Philharmonics audio is brand, ran by sole guy who's basically doing practically for scraps, just to help promote high quality audio on shoestring. He designed most of Salk Audio speakers and many other brands.

He's name is Dennis Murphy and he's often visitor on these forums. I expect if you're in conus shipping would be around $15 or so, but it's just a guess.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
I would also suggest getting AA monitors. They will beat many speakers even on double budget, they are well worth the price difference.

M

Matthew Quenette

Audioholic Intern
Thanks guys. I'll check out the aa monitors. I listened to the pioneers on youtube. They sound very nice. Thanks your steering me away from polk. I didn't know they were that bad.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Another recommendation for the AA's here. I have compared them to many speakers ranging between $200-$500 and have yet to find one that beats them!

Thanks guys. I'll check out the aa monitors. I listened to the pioneers on youtube. They sound very nice. Thanks your steering me away from polk. I didn't know they were that bad.
You need to understand that any speakers via YouTube are going to sound like your PC Speakers/headphones (along with the response of the microphone used to record).

If there is something truly horrid wrong with the speakers, I would expect you to hear it via YouTube, but do not consider it a very good representation of what the speaker will sound like!

PS - For Gaming, you will like the bass response of the AA's. They can't compete with a subwoofer, but for their price I have never heard a speaker with such good bass!

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You really shouldn't go by listening to YouTube to determine if a speaker sounds good. There are way too many factors, like the speakers you're using to do the listening, the mic the poster of the video used, YouTube's crappy compression, etc. There is absolutely no way you're going to get what a speaker truly sounds like unless you audition them in person.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Another recommendation for the AA's here. I have compared them to many speakers ranging between $200-$500 and have yet to find one that beats them!

You need to understand that any speakers via YouTube are going to sound like your PC Speakers/headphones (along with the response of the microphone used to record).

If there is something truly horrid wrong with the speakers, I would expect you to hear it via YouTube, but do not consider it a very good representation of what the speaker will sound like!

PS - For Gaming, you will like the bass response of the AA's. They can't compete with a subwoofer, but for their price I have never heard a speaker with such good bass!
Oops. I didn't scroll down far enough before I posted. o_O

M

Matthew Quenette

Audioholic Intern
Ok I'm checking out the Boston a26 right now.

M

Matthew Quenette

Audioholic Intern
The sale on the a26 is great however I can't buy them till the 1st of the month. I have 2 dollars on my card right now. Not even kidding...

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
The sale on the a26 is great however I can't buy them till the 1st of the month. I have 2 dollars on my card right now. Not even kidding...
Hope they will still be available at that price -- hope it works out for you.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
I would save a little and get the AA monitors. They are a safe bet and will get you quite far.

M

Matthew Quenette

Audioholic Intern
I really like the AA monitors but i'll probabaly settle for the pioneers. Since I'm a prime member on amazon I can get them for 100usd.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Any thoughts on how these compare to the EOS?
I know you often recommend a BA speaker, but seems like it was the A250 or A260?
Can not really answer that at this time -- no in home demo of the A26 -- and the E0S are in storage in Texas.

On a side note, I have the new Mediabridge bookshelf speakers coming on Thursday for testing. It is possible that there may be something unique with them.
https://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-Bookshelf-Speakers-4-Inch-Tweeter/dp/B01N21HF92/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487692106&sr=8-1&keywords=mediabridge+bookshelf+speakers

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Dennis used to use the BS22LR for the previous generation of AAs and still uses the C22 currently. The new AAs do sound a lot better than the stock Pioneers, but are also ~2X the price. I think you're safe with the Pioneers at the $100 price point.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Dennis used to use the BS22LR for the previous generation of AAs and still uses the C22 currently. The new AAs do sound a lot better than the stock Pioneers, but are also ~2X the price. I think you're safe with the Pioneers at the $100 price point.
I agree. If your budget is $100, the Pioneers are the best thing going.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I owned the 22s for quite a while and I was pleased with them. I paid $100 for them too. Plus they're a bit smaller than the AAs.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis