Is Your TV Watching You? Vizio Busted for Spying on Customers

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Vizio has always been a good TV in terms of bang-for-buck. You’d be hard pressed to beat Vizio over the last decade. But on February 6, Vizio went from being the toast of TV buyers everywhere to an electronic spy inside the homes of millions. The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) announced that Vizio will pay out a settlement of $2.2 million for illegally selling data collected on some 11-million consumers including viewing habits as well as demographic info on customers.

Learn how to protect yourself from your own smart TV, because it's not just Vizio, just about brand of smart TV has similar capabilities.

Read: Is Your TV Watching You? Vizio Busted for Spying on Customers

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Another reason not to use the the Smart (dumb) part of a Tv screen. My TVs, have never been connected to the Internet, and never will be.

For all my streaming I use either my HTPC that I built, or my Intel NUC, that I put the RAM, operating and SSD into.

G

Gys Florian

Enthusiast
"Another reason not to use the the Smart (dumb) part of a Tv screen. My TVs, have never been connected to the Internet, and never will be."

Well said !

I have never connected my TV, Bluray Player and My Yamaha Preamp to internet, and I surely will never do so.
I have never trusted this "smart" things, and had always suspected it can be used to spy on us... Unfortunately this is true, what a sad world :-(

B

bikdav

Senior Audioholic
Doesn't anyone make any "dumb" TVs anymore? I don't need any of the "smart" stuff at all.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I have never connected my tv to the internet. I just use it as a monitor and use my AVR for switching.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I've had my smart tv for almost 7 years. It has never been connected either.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
....and what do all you guys do to prevent your phones from doing much worse than a smart tv? LOL.

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
I have to admit that before writing this article I didn't care that (one of) my TVs connected to the Internet. I recently followed the directions to turn off the tracking feature on my Sony smart TV.

It's a secondary TV, not main. When it is used, it's primarily by my 4 year old daughter, sometimes my wife. I can't imagine any coherent marketing profile data coming from its use.

My main TV is pre-Smart TV, it's an old Panasonic plasma, still one of the best PQs I've ever seen. I'm not sure even the new LED 4K TVs can beat the black levels and depth of that TV.

B

brianapp

Audiophyte
The $2.2 million payment by VIZIO includes a payment of $1.5 million to the FTC and $1 million to the New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs, with $300,000 of that amount suspended.

Why does The FTC and New Jersey get the money? It should go to the people who have these TVs. It comes off as government extortion when the government collects the money instead of the people who were affected by the issue.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis