Dedicated Amp for Center Channel

Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee

Audioholic Intern
Are there any 1 channel amps out there that can power only the center channel?
Thank you in advance.

C

class a

Junior Audioholic
Plenty of mono blocks available. Why do you need a seperate amp to power the center?

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
What model do you recommend under $100?
Thanks for replying!
It's not a critical application ... almost any amp will do. There should not be any very low bass or high frequency information in a centre channel, it's essentially there for clarity with speech content in movies.

Considering your budget, which is low, I'd say buy whatever one you can find for that price.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

Doubtful you’ll find a good mono amp at that price. Might have to be satisfied with a used stereo amp and just use one channel of it. You can find Audiosource amps on ebay for under $100.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee

Audioholic Intern
Doubtful you’ll find a good mono amp at that price. Might have to be satisfied with a used stereo amp and just use one channel of it. You can find Audiosource amps on ebay for under $100.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
That is exactly what I was thinking :)

Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee

Audioholic Intern
I don't have a center at the moment but I am planning to buy one so let's say that the sensitivity is 85 and I will sit 12 feet away from it. It is part of a 5.1 system all connect to a soundcard. There is one amp for the fronts, one for the rears, and one for the center. The subwoofer is active.

brad1138

brad1138

Audioholic
Marantz MA-500 great monoblock amp. I used to use one for my center channel. 125 watt @ 8 Ohm, 180 @ 4 ohm.

They go for around $100 used on ebay

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
MA500 is your best bet, but they're pretty old at this point. I used them for a long time.

Parts Express offers a number of amps in the price range too though, like the DTA-120 that should be under $100 @ 60x2 or the APA-150 which is 75x2 or 150 mono.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
Marantz MA-500 great monoblock amp. I used to use one for my center channel. 125 watt @ 8 Ohm, 180 @ 4 ohm.

They go for around $100 used on ebay
I have 2 MA-6100's coming this Thursday for two height channels in a 9.2.2 config, can't wait.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis